Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Ever had to chain up fiver?

I live in an area that can require chains with very short notice. I keep chains in the truck, yet I am very careful to keep from becoming in a position requiring chains. That said more than once I have miscalculated. I don't have them for the Montana. I have and will just park it, before towing with chains. Ca DMV book states: You must have at least one axle chained if the trailer is equipped with brakes. Curious, how many of you have had to chain the fiver?

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
In all my years of traveling the highways and byways and having used chains many times on my trucks I have "never" heard of anyone chaining up a trailer axle. Chain up requirement for truckers is regular on some of the high mountain highways here in BC at this time of year, commercial trucks carry chains for the drive axle only, not the steering axle nor the trailer axles. I have to ask what good would it do to have your trailer wheels chained up other than rip off the wheel covers.

Nope ain't going to happen on any trailer I own.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I think Diagonal chains(not cable) would help with braking and side lateral movement going Down the Passes with a 5th wheel trailer with electric brakes and Cali does require them although I would Only do it if I had to and I think it would help But I have seen too many Semi's in my years of a truck driver(not a tractor trailer) in snow and Ice coming down the Passes with tractor trailers going sideways and jack knifing SCARY STUFF!!, If I got stuck in that situation I would put the truck in 4WD LOW and CREEP down
Old 01-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

In all my years of traveling the highways and byways and having used chains many times on my trucks I have "never" heard of anyone chaining up a trailer axle. Chain up requirement for truckers is regular on some of the high mountain highways here in BC at this time of year, commercial trucks carry chains for the drive axle only, not the steering axle nor the trailer axles. I have to ask what good would it do to have your trailer wheels chained up other than rip off the wheel covers.

Nope ain't going to happen on any trailer I own.

I have to agree, when i used to drive tractor/trailer, i only chained up the drive axle. I see chaining up a trailer axle would hurt more than help, unless you don't care if your trailer gets torn up.

2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Been there and done that with a tractor trailer. I'm retired now and don't need that kind of excitement. Would not tow into that no matter what.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:30 AM   #6
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I'm with Dick on this one. In my 20's that sort of thing was "exciting" but now I would stay parked for several months if need be to avoid it.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Hate to think what a loose chain could do to the trailer undercarriage.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:11 AM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
So if you chain up one axle of trailer and then apply brakes wouldn't the axel that is not chained lock up and slide - and the chained axle not stop. Like on your truck, if you apply brakes and only one tire slides (the one on ice) the others that have traction just keep doing what they were doing?
I carry chains only to be 'legal' but won't go there if they are required.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:02 AM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I carry chains for the truck and for the Monty but have no intention of ever using them on the 5er. That said last week I went to Ghost Mt. RV park in Polluck Pines, CA and saw a 5er with chains on. The road into the park was somewhat icy but I didn't think it required chains at least not for my R-Pod. However I did put the truck into 4wd high.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not going to happen in fact I drove the truck and RV in snow ONCE and it will never happen again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have no intention of ever towing the Monte in the ice or snow. But if I did for some crazy reason, I would want chains on one axle of the trailer if I had chains on the truck. If the truck had chains and the trailer did not, as soon as you hit the brakes the truck would try to stop and the trailer would start to push and try to come around you since it would have no stopping power. Better to have stopping power on the trailer also to keep it back there where it belongs.

Some states require chains on tractor trailer rigs. And as I understand on any trailer that has brakes. Best to check the local laws if any doubt.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
Years past I have chained up my trailer, front axle only. The brake will stop the chained axle, also chains keep it on the road. I would not do this now, ever. I do not recommend traveling in snow or ice conditions way to stressful.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I would prefer to not ever have to drive where chains would be required with my truck and fifth-wheel. With that being said there is no way that I would just chain the truck as you would be just asking your trailer to pass you or slide of the road taking your truck with it. If the road conditions are that bad and your truck needs chains than I would say so does your trailer. Today the roads were quite slick on the way to work. One truck ended up on its side, the driver was ok. No chains on any rigs that I saw. Not snow but ice on the roads. At the hill there were at least ten big rigs trying to figure out how to get down the hill with out sliding of the road do the slow speed required and the steep camber of the road in the corners. Most of the times when the road is blocked it is because of the trailer pulling the trucks of the road while trying to go up the hill on the corners.

Tom Marty
Old 01-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #14
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
The chains that I have seen, I fail to see how they could possibly help in braking of ANY vehicle. Many label call them "traction chains" which to me indicates they to aid in movement not stopping. That said, I have had two experiences with short distance towing on hilly terrain in heavy unplowed snow (about 1/2 mile). Once with our old lighter 5ver and the 1/2 ton truck, the other with Hannah and Vinnie. Both times I used the same procedure going down hill. Truck in 4LO and use the trailer brakes to stop the whole rig. With the small truck, it was nothing more than a controlled slide. The trailer still pushed me down the hill, but produced enough drag to not pass me. With the larger rig in the same situation in the same place, the wheels bit on the trailer enough for a controlled decent. I can only assume the weight difference of the trailer (double) and the higher tire pressures (more than double) helped the tires bite through the snow better. In neither case did I want to tow, but worse weather was moving in, threatening that I would have to leave the trailers through the winter months.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #15
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Drove once on ice, never in snow. Would not do it by choice. Ice storm caught us in January of 2015 headed west in Odessa, TX, and it was not forecasted and it moved in fast, but we were able to exit off I-20 at east side of Odessa, exit was fortunately 100 yards east of a large pileup of autos blocking roadway. Montana would do a fish tale wiggle with out notice. We crossed town on State Highway (salted) and into Mid-dessa Oil Patch Rv park and stayed parked for 4 days till ice melted.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #16
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Any ideas where to get info on when and where chains are required? I think the best idea it to do everything possible not to be anywhere I would need them

Good discussion though
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #17
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Mostly online. Every state has highway patrol. That would be a good source. In Cal CalTrans has dedicated up to the minute Website! Road conditions alerts have come a long way. The trick is not to be caught in a sudden major weather change like Interstate 80 over Donner Summit. Personally seen that stretch go all to heck in 30 min.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote