Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
bbnkansas
Established Member

M.O.C. #13594
leak near water pump

Greetings everyone!
Got a question for you to think about...
I turn on the water pump about once a month just to keep it lubed and ready for use. About 3-4 hours after I turn the pump off I find water on our kitchen floor and under the bedroom steps. I have visually observed the pump in operation and for up to a hour after turning it off...no leaks seen.
After turning the pump off, if I put a towel on the floor in front of the water pump, hours later it will be wet. Once I remove the towel I don't see any leaks nor does the towel get wet again when I replace it. Thus, whatever this leak is...it is not a constant leak.

Btw...I completely removed the tank flush back flow, no leak there.

Where could this water be coming from? If it is the pump, why does it leak hours later? Why a one time leak and not constant?
Crazy huh?!?!?! Any thoughts????

bbnkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I dunno where your leak is, but it's obviously a pressure leak ... once it leaks out so much water, the pressure is bled off and won't leak again until pressured back up.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since you know when it does it, I'd campout under there with a book and see where it comes from. It's probably just a drip that you don't notice at first and I'd start with the connections first after it leaves the pump. The other thing it could be is a pin hole that sprays on a wall that runs down on the floor later.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
bbnkansas
Established Member

M.O.C. #13594
Pressure leak...sound's logical. That would most likely be the water pump. As for camping out...done it and the leak does not happen when I am watching. You know...A watched pot never boils. The only water I can see/find is directly under the pump. I have yet to see a drop form and release. Craziest thing I have encountered .
Old 04-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A pressure leak can be anywhere past the pump ... pinhole in line, split in line, loose fitting, ... cracked fitting. As mentioned, depending on routing it could leak above where it puddles ... just takes while to drip or run down.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
bbnkansas
Established Member

M.O.C. #13594
replaced the water pump this afternoon. had to do something...the leak had gotten worse overnight. After replacing the pump, so far, no leaks. Tomorrow morning will tell the tale of whether it was the pump or otherwise. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
bbnkansas
Established Member

M.O.C. #13594
Still dry. Must have been the waterpump. Thanks for everyone's advice