Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
perfect5th
Established Member

M.O.C. #13340
Send a message via Yahoo to perfect5th
We have also experianced similar issues with our 3150RL Montana. We love camping throughout Idaho even during the winer months but have to admit that the sub chassis carboard and insulation below the actual flooring is worthless. I finally couldn't resist to pull a section of it down to see what was actually up inside there. (must be a guy thing?) In our particular case the aluminum foil type insulation was just thrown and stuffed anywhere the factory lads felt like. I think they didn't want to pick it up off the floor and haul it to the trash so they stuffed it under my coach? "What a mess.." I have hung a drop light in the front basement area to keep the pump from freezing at night which helps..

perfect5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do not under estimate that insulation in the belly. We saw the testing on that stuff at the fall rally two maybe 3 years ago and it was impressive. Having just had most of the underbelly loose and able to see under there the "Foil " was once piece and ran the entire length of the 3402. The one piece underbelly and the foil made for a fairly tight package that is until I had to drill holes and cut panels out of it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We went through some frozen black tank issues and are now heading south (Nashville). Even though I will make additional modifications while in Florida for possible future cold winter stints, I sure don't plan on spending another December anywhere north of Kentucky.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Do not under estimate that insulation in the belly. We saw the testing on that stuff at the fall rally two maybe 3 years ago and it was impressive. Having just had most of the underbelly loose and able to see under there the "Foil " was once piece and ran the entire length of the 3402. The one piece underbelly and the foil made for a fairly tight package that is until I had to drill holes and cut panels out of it.
I don't think you can "underestimate" the value of the foil insulation used in the RV's. I don't know what the R value is but it isn't much. At best it is a cold/heat barrier much like a foil emergency blanket. If the space enclosed by the barrier was sufficiently heated it would do the job.

Unfortunately there is not enough room available to put proper insulation under and around the tanks the way the units are built. Let us not be fooled into thinking these are 4 season units, they are not if you live anywhere that is really cold without much additional preparation.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Friends of ours used to have a SOB that used the insulation batting in the belly. A leak developed in one of the holding tanks and the insulation absorbed the fluid. What a pain to open the belly and remove all of the saturated insulation. The foil wouldn't insulate the way batting would but with the possibility of hydraulic or waste fluid leak occurring at some time in these rigs, the foil would allow liquids to run to a low point and drain (Drill hole Here!) until a repair to the leak can be made.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote