Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
miklman

M.O.C. #13223
Interconnected circuits in 2005 3400RL

To all the folks that decifer problems:

My propane leak detector started sounding off as though I had a leak. The propane was shut off! The only way I could stop the squeeling was to cut the wires (red & black) and cap them off.

A few days later I tried to turn on my ac with the remote (Dometic heat and ac; ac in cieling heat in basement) and the remote did nothing! I changed batts and reset it and still nothing. Manualy the ac worked.
Today I nutted the wires back to the propane detector and all is well with the remote operation for heat and ac.

What's up with that? Go figure.

Hope this helps someone.

miklman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The Propane detector should be on it's own circuit, but nothing is for shure.
I don't have a remote, so I can't speak to that.
Did you cut the wires individually? It is always the way to do it, cut them both at the same time and it shorts out, should blow the fuse to it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
miklman

M.O.C. #13223
Cut and capped wires individualy. Found it strange the circuits were combined.
miklman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I don't know if you have this but I copied it for you. I hope it is the same one you have.
I would pull the fuse to the detector and see if it is indeed a shared circuit.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/dtremote.pdf

Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The propane detector should be replaced after 5 years. Some will start beeping at you when that expiration date has passed. The clock starts ticking when power is applied to the unit for the first time.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Dennis is right and they don't always last the five years. I just replaced mine on a 2010 for the same reason. New one is working just fine so I'm sure the old one was bad. Mine actually had an expiration date printed on it of next year.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don't be surprised at anything when it comes to the wiring. When we first took delivery of ours (during the heat of summer) I noticed the fridge seemed to operate erratically on AC. Finally figured out it only worked on AC if the ceiling fan was running! Long story behind how I finally figured it out, but dealer quickly corrected the wiring when I pointed it out to him.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I am surprised that you still have the dometic remote system. Most of them were a nightmare and were replaced. It's funny that your a.c. worked manually. There may be more of a tie in with the remote system. the control unit for that is in the a.c. behind the filter.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Could the propane detector be in the AC / heater circuit to prevent the AC / heater from coming on in case of a real propane leak? I've recently seen the propane detector go off prematurely due to both of the following ... a low battery as well as a breaker to the converter being flipped at the same time not allowing the battery to charge.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Dennis, mine has not started beeping yet,and it is an '05. Guess I am lucky.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by miklman

To all the folks that decifer problems:

My propane leak detector started sounding off as though I had a leak. The propane was shut off! The only way I could stop the squeeling was to cut the wires (red & black) and cap them off.

A few days later I tried to turn on my ac with the remote (Dometic heat and ac; ac in cieling heat in basement) and the remote did nothing! I changed batts and reset it and still nothing. Manualy the ac worked.
Today I nutted the wires back to the propane detector and all is well with the remote operation for heat and ac.

What's up with that? Go figure.

Hope this helps someone.
You haven't just put a new rug or fabric chair in your camper have you?
Several years ago when we owned a Sunnybrook my wife bought a new throw rug and with in hours of bringing it into camper the propane detector start alarming. We left it out of camper for several months and it helped when we put it back in camper. I think if you go to detector web site they explain the different things that cause a false alarm.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Farmboy, not all of them have that circuit built in. It should say on the back side to replace by a certain date or in 5 years.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The propane detector runs on 12v, right? Why would it need to be on a dedicated circuit? It makes sense to me to put it on an existing line and the 12v line to the thermostat is probably the most handy. It would be on ours, anyhow.

However, I would think it would be wired in parallel rather than in series so that disconnecting it wouldn't affect anything else on the circuit. I may have reversed the parallel and series circuit comment.

So why would a propane detector need to be on a dedicated circuit?

Also, we're still on the original detector.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Steve, the dedicated circuit on detectors, emergency lights, safety items like that are supposed to be all on dedicated circuits, (in the 'real' world that is code) for the reason that a defective item won't take the sometimes life-saving detector/emergency lights 'off line'. They want the dedicated circuit on them for safety reasons.
In the RV trailer wiring... who knows. But they should be.