Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Replace Entertainment System

Just wondering if you can use the built in speakers surround system or do you have to replace all the speakers. We bought a new TV and DVD player, but no way to hook up the speakers? Appreciate any input of what some of you have done. We replaced the Quest DVD player and Toshiba TV. thanks for your Help with this.

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
If the old speakers are the right ohm resistance and will handle the wattage of the new system they should work.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by southern thunder

If the old speakers are the right ohm resistance and will handle the wattage of the new system they should work.
The system we had was put into the Montana in 2004. The speaker wires were hooked into the Quest DVD player. It controlled 3 speakers above the TV, it has one big thing think it is a subwoofer in the cabinet, 2 speakers above dining area slide, 2 speakers in bedroom with a switch to turn on or off. We disconnected the bare wires from the Quest DVD player and now don't know how to connect it to new system. Thanks for your Help with this.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Do you have any of the owners manuals from the system when it was new? It should have a wiring diagram in it.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Assuming the ohm/watt of the speakers is compatible ... here's a little tip on speaker wire and finding out which is which. If you look at the speaker wire there is a positive and negative polarity. The positive wire will most always have an extra stripe or texture to it, the negative will be plain. To find out which speaker is what, take an AA battery and touch one wire to positive and the other to negative for just a second or so. There will be a small audible "pop" at the speaker. I don't know what connection you have on your new system. If it isn't a connection that you simply insert a stripped wire end into it, it will probably be a RCA connector which are found at any Radio Shack or sometimes even Wally World. To keep the polarity right, always attach (some solder) the positive wire to the center pin.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by southern thunder

Do you have any of the owners manuals from the system when it was new? It should have a wiring diagram in it.
The bare wire just pushed into the back of the old Quest DVD player. I made a copy of where the wires went into the old DVD. The new DVD player has a different setup, so need something to put the bare wires into and then have it connect to the new DVD or TV. We don't really don't have to have all those extra built in speakers, but is a shame not to be able to use them. I think an A/V receiver would maybe work, but they are kind of expensive. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I replaced ours a couple years ago. A basic DVD player will not drive the multiple speakers. It must be a home theater type DVD system with the 5.1 or 7.1 speaker output connections. It sounds like you bought just a basic DVD player.
I bought a Panasonic Blu-ray DVD home theater system at Best Buy since we already had a number of Blu-ray DVDs. They had numerous choices of manufacturers and models. But the one I bought the system and the speakers were the nearest in size to the original. Even so, I still had to modify the cabinet slightly to get the slightly larger speakers in the original cutouts. I could not find a home theater system that did not include new speakers. To avoid speaker mismatch I am sure.
The new speakers sound much better that the old ones.
Some of the speaker wiring you can tell which is which by the color coding on the wires. But some you cannot. The battery method sounds simple enough. But I used an ohm meter and a long piece of wire and ohmed out the wiring to find out which wire went to which speaker.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I replaced ours a couple years ago. A basic DVD player will not drive the multiple speakers. It must be a home theater type DVD system with the 5.1 or 7.1 speaker output connections. It sounds like you bought just a basic DVD player.
I bought a Panasonic Blu-ray DVD home theater system at Best Buy since we already had a number of Blu-ray DVDs. They had numerous choices of manufacturers and models. But the one I bought the system and the speakers were the nearest in size to the original. Even so, I still had to modify the cabinet slightly to get the slightly larger speakers in the original cutouts. I could not find a home theater system that did not include new speakers. To avoid speaker mismatch I am sure.
The new speakers sound much better that the old ones.
Some of the speaker wiring you can tell which is which by the color coding on the wires. But some you cannot. The battery method sounds simple enough. But I used an ohm meter and a long piece of wire and ohmed out the wiring to find out which wire went to which speaker.
Thanks for your suggestions. Sounds like you did a lot of work. We did just get a basic Sony DVD player.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You can probably find a relatively inexpensive A/V receiver to drive the speakers if you have a place to put it. I know Best Buy carries some for under $200, and maybe quite a bit less if you can find one that is "open box".
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
dpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11617
When you hook up the batt to a speaker, if the paper moves towards you, the wire that is on the pos of the batt is the speakers positive... if the paper moves away from you, reverse the wires to confirm which is positive...
Hope this helps...good luck !!!!
dpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpilot

When you hook up the batt to a speaker, if the paper moves towards you, the wire that is on the pos of the batt is the speakers positive... if the paper moves away from you, reverse the wires to confirm which is positive...
Hope this helps...good luck !!!!
Thank you for all of the suggestions. Will check with BestBuy and see what is available.