Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Camping in Houston area

Has anyone been to Houston RV show coming up in early February? Is it worth attending? Also, can anyone suggest a campground in Houston area that is not too far away from where this is held? The RV show people suggested one a mile away, called South Main RV Park, but it is not listed in current Trailer Life Directory. Also, the little I found on-line says you need an access code to get in and out, which makes me suspect not in a good area. Also, most of people staying there for medical treatment at nearby medical complex. There is even a shuttle bus to transport people to complex.

On our Texas trip we hope to work our way down the coast towards Harlingen/Mission. So looking for campground suggestions for Galveston, Corpus Christi, and South Padre Island. Later on for San Antonio and Austin.

LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We did stay at the South Main RV Park, but that was many years ago and it may have changed since then. Another park where we have stayed is the Allstar RV Park. It is handy to the freeways, and it was a very nice park when we stayed there several years ago. One other park which I see listed (though we have never stayed there) is the Lake View RV Resort which has very high ratings from Trailer Life. All these parks are in the same general area of Southwest Houston, and all are Good Sam Parks. We did attend the Houston RV show a good many years ago and it was helpful to us in our purchase decisions.

We will be staying next week at the North Houston/Lake Conroe RV Park, but that is because we have reason to visit that area. We have stayed at this park many times, and it is a first class park.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We have not visited the Houston RV show, but have stayed at the KOA mentioned above near Lake Conroe. It is a pretty nice park; however, on our last stay there were a lot of transients there as a result of Katrina...made for less than good circumstances. Hope that the campground has recovered from that mess. Also, if you have never driven in the Houston area, the traffic is just about as bad as the DC area. If you are camping far from your destination, plan on a lot of travel time. Good luck!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We are staying at New Caney, Forest Retreat RV park and it's wonderful. We are about 1/2 hr. to the Reliant Center in Houston. That's where I presume the show will be held. This is also a first rate park and we come here every time we are in Texas. This time we are here for two months and maybe will stay the third month. If you decide on New Caney be sure to let us know. We'll have a cold one for you.
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
I should have mentioned Forest Retreat. It is, in fact, the park where we last stayed in the Houston area. We lived in Humble for seven years in the 1970s and were attended a funeral there. I would agree that Forest Retreat is a fine place to stay. The parks I did mention are much nearer in (All Star and Lake View)than New Caney. One other park just off I-45 is Rayford Crossing. It is also a first class park. It all depends on what part of Houston you are focused on. That is the reason we are staying at Lake Conroe/North Houston KOA on our next trip. BTW that Katrina situation was clearly temporary. In fact, the national rally of the HitchHikers International had to be completely canceled during that time. But we have been there since and there is no trace of "that mess."

As for the Houston traffic, I guess I'm just used to it--with one big exception: avoid the freeways at all cost during the morning and evening commuting rush (US 59, I-45, I-10 for example.)
Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
If you really want to go to the show than this won't help much. You just got a new rig. You shopping again? Stephen F. Austin State Park is about 55 miles. We have stayed there twice and it is a lovely place. It also puts you pretty close to Route 77 which is an excellent route to Victoria. From there you can go to the Rockport area or to Corpus. Nick might like Goliad State Park because of the history. That is just west of Victoria. There are a bunch of parks in the Rockport area. I would avoid Goose Island State Park in Fulton, just north of Rockport.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I just noted you mentioned Galveston. Depending on how you come, the Bolivar Peninsular is a nice ride. We stayed there a few weeks ago in Crystal Canal RV park. You can be right on the Intracostal waterway and watch barges day and night. If you do that eat at Stingarees. It is a free ferry ride to, or from, Galveston. When we left Galveston we stayed right on the coast to Freeport and then to Barzoria and Columbia where we got on 35 to Rockport. The maps make it look like a very small road but it is not. It was good traveling all the way. I hope we are in your plans when you get this way.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Thanks everyone for the good insights. This will help narrow things down. We will keep you "posted" on where we land and our impressions.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Hello -- made it to Texas. Many Montanas at Houston RV show, but no High Countrys. Did stay at the Lakeview RV "Resort' near Reliant complex so we could be close. Very nice, but most of the people there for medical reasons (close to Houston medical complex), so not the same atmosphere. Would not stay there again. Now at the KOA in South Padre Island, which is more to our liking. But very rainy here and sunny days few and far between. We see many Montanas - old and new -- everywhere we go, but no one knows about the MOC, even people from midwest, so we are trying to drum up business. On the way down we stayed at a very nice campground up by Texarkana -- Cavaungh RV Park, Cavangh TX.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Lucky Nichol, help me out. I live just an hour from Texarkana and I can't find Cavaungh, TX or Cavaungh RV Park. Which direction is it from Texarkana?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We went to that show a couple of years ago. It was a good show at that time.

We spent two months at Jamaica Beach RV Park at Jamaica Beach, TX, on Galveston Island. About 11 or 12 miles south of Galveston. I recommend the park. Quiet, walk across the road to a good beach on the Gulf, easy drive into Galveston for a Walmart SuperCenter and other shopping.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

I should have mentioned Forest Retreat. It is, in fact, the park where we last stayed in the Houston area. We lived in Humble for seven years in the 1970s and were attended a funeral there. I would agree that Forest Retreat is a fine place to stay. The parks I did mention are much nearer in (All Star and Lake View)than New Caney. One other park just off I-45 is Rayford Crossing. It is also a first class park. It all depends on what part of Houston you are focused on. That is the reason we are staying at Lake Conroe/North Houston KOA on our next trip. BTW that Katrina situation was clearly temporary. In fact, the national rally of the HitchHikers International had to be completely canceled during that time. But we have been there since and there is no trace of "that mess."

As for the Houston traffic, I guess I'm just used to it--with one big exception: avoid the freeways at all cost during the morning and evening commuting rush (US 59, I-45, I-10 for example.)
Glad to hear the Lake Conroe KOA is back to normal...we do like staying there when we pass through Houston.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm so sorry that I missed this post earlier. We did go to the Hou. RV show on the Friday date. WE live 40 miles South of Reliant Center and it is about a 40-45 minute drive with no congestion.

Just for information purposes, there are dozens of RV parks within a 40-45 minute ride to Downtown Houston, and about the same for the Astrodome (Reliant Stadium). I wish I had seen the thread, as I could have given you some other options. One of them would have been 11 miles south on hwy 288. Right at the intersection of 288 and beltway 8 is about a 3 year old RV park. Don't remember the name and it has changed.

Where you stayed on s. Main there is another RV park in the same vicinity. One of them is a little bit further off the 610 loop so road noise would be less. Then as you farm out South, toward Galveston and get down around Webster, is where the RV parks start. I always recommend Green Caye CG, in Dickinson, TX. Forty minutes to Galveston, Forty minutes to Houston.

So anyone traveling in this direction, give a holler by PM and I'll personally visit any park you list in the area to see what it presently looks like - if we are not on the road.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote