Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2005, 05:58 AM   #1
Montana_3883

M.O.C. #3883
AUTO FORMER

I am considering a hughes autoformer for my monty could use any input you have on same. A lot of the parks we visit are old (like me) and the voltage drops at peak use
thanks
Henry

Montana_3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I can't give you any advice on an autoformer but there has been quite a bit of chatter on the forum about the autoformers. If you will do a search I think that you will find considerable info already posted.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Henry
We have the Huges 30 Amp Autoformer and wouldn't be without it. It maintains the full 120V at the campgrounds and operates as a spike arrester for voltage swings. I made a waterproof cover out of a trashcan and put vents on it. It is attached to a board frame that is attached with latches so I can set the autoformer inside, cover it and latch down the vented trashcan. I maintain a full 120V all the time reguardless where I am at. I only use the 50 Amp service where I will be for a long time. I just have to rember to turn off the AC when the wife washes. It is alot cheaper than replacing the electrical boards in your converter, ref, ac, and heater.
Ken And Velda Taylor
Dahlgren VA
2005 3475 Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ken, let's say the park normally runs at 110v and your autoformer pumps that up to 120v. Is there a limitation on how long it can continue to do this? Could you go a whole month's stay with it pumping up the power? I guess I don't know much about the autoformer yet. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Steve: I haven't been anywhere that long except in Texas for the winter and the power isn't an issue down there. I have used it at the Grand Canyon RV Park and it ran continually for 3 days without problem. The power was real low there. I keep one of those guages plugged in all the time inside and it was maintaining 120 all the time. I originally got our autoformer 3 years ago and haven't set up without plugging in the autoformer first. If someone is thinking about getting a 30 or 50 amp autoformer the best place I have found to get one is from a booth at the DonWest Flea Market outside of Donna, Texas. They are about $100. cheaper than Camping World. If someone wants the guy's phone number I have it around the 5th somewhere and will did it up if you contact me.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
Montana_3883

M.O.C. #3883
Thanks to all for the help. I will let you know if i get a 50 amp one and how it works
Henry
Old 06-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Steve
I don't think there is any time limit on using one of these things. I talked to a neighbor who had one and he is a full timer too. That is the first thing he turns on. He was from Alaska and had the 30 amp Autoformer. He said he found that 30 amp was easier to find when he traveled so he had the 30 amp autoformer. It was his idea of the trashcan cover with vents. He also burned out one autoformer by a large voltage spike at one campground he was in.. No problems with his coach (big 3 axle Carriage), it only took out the autoformer. But the neighbor next to him in a motorhome lost his converter, ref, heater, both TV's and his stero. That made a believer out of me.
Ken Taylor
Dahlgren VA
2005 3475 Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Ken, let's say the park normally runs at 110v and your autoformer pumps that up to 120v. Is there a limitation on how long it can continue to do this? Could you go a whole month's stay with it pumping up the power? I guess I don't know much about the autoformer yet. Thanks.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:54 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks to everyone. I also got a nice email from Al (of CountryGuy) explaining that it uses a transformer to provide the higher level of power, not a battery like a battery backup. Therefore it can maintain the power level indefinitely. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Henry, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread. Good luck with yours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:12 AM   #9
Montana_3883

M.O.C. #3883
Well i got the 50 amp autoformer but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I talked to the Hughes factory and it helped me make up my mind to spend the $. I was told you can use 30 amp with this with a simple adapter or 30 and 20 with a special adapter or 2 30 amp with same so i will give it a try next month on our trip to Rapid city,gunnison co,Las Vegas, Williams arizona, Sante Fe N.M. and home. I should know how it works when i get back. Hope to see some of you on the road
Henry

2002 duramax and 2003-3255rl monty

Old 06-15-2005, 09:46 AM   #10
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Here's some good news for those of you looking at the Hughes Autoformer (or already have one):

We picked up ours last week at PPL Motorhomes (special order, non-stock item) (30amp unit). Brought it home, plugged it in, and ran it for 5 days. Happened to be outside waxing the house on Saturday when I noticed that the unit was releasing its "magic smoke". Darned glad I was there when it happened. Luckily, neither the power pole nor the 5er power systems were affected. Called Hughes on Monday to schedule a return for repair (Note: owner pays for the return shipping and has to send $20 to get it shipped back after repair...don't like that policy much!). Got a voice-mail (don't much like that, either). No return call by Tuesday, so I start the "squeaky wheel" routine. Got to a live person on Tuesday. Nicest lady I talked to all day! Apparently, Hughes recently found a batch of a certain component that was bad from their supplier. As such, not only is the repair free, but the shipping (both ways) will be free as well! The unit goes back tomorrow for repair. Really glad to report a company with good customer service to others who might use the product!! As an FYI, my S/N is 11114. Not sure if they use sequential S/N's, but if so, it may be prudent to check yours and verify with Hughes that the components are known to be good (or otherwise).

By the way--- On an operational note: The autoformer, as noted above, is a voltage booster, not a battery backup. As such, it doesn't have a battery life issue. As noted in the handbook, when the shore voltage drops below 112vac the autoformer booster boosts output to 10% over the input power level (if input is 110vac, it boosts 11vac for an output of 121vac). Once the incoming voltage is over 115vac, the unit stops boosting. The manual notes that the autoformer may not boost even if you see less than 112vac INSIDE your rig. The unit is reading the shore power only, not the voltage of the power inside the rig (which will have at least some level of voltage drop due to the various effects of wiring and powered equipment).
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Some of the best money I spent was on an autoformer 4 years ago. There is no time limit as to how long it can be on line. I plug mine in and leave it when I'm in a park where the voltage has a notorious reputation for going low. When it's low, the autoformer raises it up and when the voltage is normal the autoformer cuts out.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:11 AM   #12
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
The autoformer might be nice for the user, but it is hell for the neighbor--the "extra" electricity has to come for somewhere and it is your neighbor. We leave the AC on for the dogs only to come back to a over hot 5W becuase someone has come in and plugged in their autoformer. Don't go to CG with bad power and tell them why--don't rob your neighbor of their fair share of the electricity.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote