Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Better Built Transfer Combo Tool box fuel Tank.

After 2 months and 10 days of waiting, the Combo fuel/tool box arrived. Simple install, didn't like drilling 4 holes in the truck bed of an $80,000 dollar GMC Denali 3500hd. It has large tool box, and 75 gal diesel tank, with a 15 GPM pump. Works great, not happy paying such a high price for diesel. But, sadly it will continue to go up, for at least 2 more years. Had several in-bed fuel tanks in the past this is the first with a pump, however, I have John Deere Tractors, much easer to fill the John Deere. I highly recommend the Better Built Transfer tanks. I paid $1,044,00, they are now for the same tank $1,199.00.

Happy trails.

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Be sure to keep the anti algae additive in there, these HPFP systems are pretty picky!

Mark
Old 10-31-2021, 05:29 AM   #3
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
That is on my list before we start traveling more. Not that I can drive more then a tank full of fuel before a break, more that I can be more flexible on where I fill up the truck.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
JDDilly, I fully recommend everyone have a additional fuel tank. If you travel in the West it is a must.

I do not recommend any type addition fuel tanks, or brands. It is my opinion and what I have done and used in traveling thousands upon thousands of miles thru out the lower 48.

Happy trails.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Also I might add, I recommend a filter system on the transfer tanks. My fuel is filtered prior to being pumped into the OEM tank. Diesel fuel must be kept clean at all times.

Happy trails.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
JDDilly, I fully recommend everyone have a additional fuel tank. If you travel in the West it is a must.

I do not recommend any type addition fuel tanks, or brands. It is my opinion and what I have done and used in traveling thousands upon thousands of miles thru out the lower 48.

Happy trails.
A few years ago we began storing the Duramax over winter (mild here, like Seattle), but still worried about algae issues. I checked with our local GM dealer, then finally called the GM corporate customer service dept. and asked about additives for algae in the diesel fuel. Both sources told me to NOT put in an anti-algae additive, the fuel companies will add whatever is necessary. The real issue is keeping water condensation to a minimum, so I top up the fuel with to the fuel filler neck at the pump and then bring it home. Some idling over the winter drops the level a bit, not enough to cause any condensation. Hope this helps.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote