Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #41
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Truck stops are usually a good place to get fuel. They pump a lot of fuel so it’s fresh and within any contamination such as water.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #42
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Truck stops are usually a good place to get fuel. They pump a lot of fuel so it’s fresh and within any contamination such as water.
Lynwood

I would have to agree, although the stations I frequent locally go thru a lot of diesel.

As far as DEF goes I'm sure they go thru that pretty fast at the truck stops, but I want it out of a jug with the manufacturing date on it .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #43
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
All I use are truck stops when we travel, T/A or Pilot. Some pilots have an RV pump just to the side of the auto gas pumps but it on one pump.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #44
GA Mountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11997
I do buy my DEF at truck stops, at the pump. It's much easier with the fill under the hood of the GM trucks. But I do not by fuel at the same time, as the DEF fill is on the right side and I have to pull thru the lane the wrong way. Something I also don’t do with the trailer attached. All the pump DEF I’ve seen is either at a separate pump, of the DEF nozzle is behind a door. They are also much smaller as noted.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
GA Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:57 AM   #45
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lynwood
X2. That has always been the main draw for me to fuel at Pilot and Flying J truck stops. Even with the GS discount I might be paying slightly more for fuel but it always seemed worth it.

Just did 606 miles yesterday. Got fuel twice because we will be sitting for almost 4 winter months and wanted to be close to full. First fuel stop was at Pilot and second was at Flying J. However my DEF came from Walmart a week ago as usual.

Update on my original post: my buddy sent me a test late last night to inform me that Progressive (his auto insurance) will be paying for all the repairs.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #46
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Give me a Truckstop any day. Especially along the interstate system. Major brands Petro/TA , FJ/Pilot are selling 300K + gallons a month some even hit a million!
That’s fresh fuel that will be treated for weather conditions.
These Truckstops would be out of business if they sold bad fuel.
Yes haulers have made mistakes but bad fuel is something that is caught very quickly.
OP stated on one forum (or this one) that his friends fuel filters were changed on the lot before driving off!
That’s when the station should have been notified!
That’s a lesson we should all get from this , don’t leave the lot if something like this happens.
SOP if reported to a station is shutdown and test fuel. At least for the chain my wife worked for for 24 years covering 7 states at one time.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #47
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I'm color blind so green, yellow or blue doesn't mean anything to me, seems everywhere I get fuel i just choose the messy one, there is always a stain on the ground and the handle reeks of diesel fuel, pretty hard to miss. and like others, i use the boxed DEF, just seems easier to do at camp in the evening

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #48
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We also use Pilot and Flying J to fill up when traveling and pulling trailer when hooked up. The regular stations are not set up for trucks pulling trailers. Almost took out an island when trying to get in to a regular station. Pilot has prices on their signs that you can see from the freeway. Much more convenient to fuel up when traveling.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #49
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
You would think the fuel refineries and fuel stations across the country would get their act together and make the same color pumps for only diesel nationwide.Also pumps that only pump diesel so not to confuse customers.
I absolutely agree with this!! STANDARDIZE the color coding for fuel!!! It SHOULD be a no brainer! I actually expect it isn't the private sector that is the issue. Much more likely that it is a government issue. You know how we have states that have to do things differently from everyone else (IE: California).
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #50
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post
Give me a Truckstop any day. Especially along the interstate system. Major brands Petro/TA , FJ/Pilot are selling 300K + gallons a month some even hit a million!
That’s fresh fuel that will be treated for weather conditions.
These Truckstops would be out of business if they sold bad fuel.
Yes haulers have made mistakes but bad fuel is something that is caught very quickly.
OP stated on one forum (or this one) that his friends fuel filters were changed on the lot before driving off!
That’s when the station should have been notified!
That’s a lesson we should all get from this , don’t leave the lot if something like this happens.
SOP if reported to a station is shutdown and test fuel. At least for the chain my wife worked for for 24 years covering 7 states at one time.
Yep that's the best bet. If your sitting on their lot blocking the pumps you get attention real fast!!! Truckers absolutely don't put up with bad fuel!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #51
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
At least the stations I normally fuel at that have both gas and diesel nozzles on the same pump, if you lift the gas nozzle and press the diesel button it will not accept it and start the pump. Same if you lift the diesel nozzle and press a gas button. The diesel button is next to the diesel nozzle and the gas buttons are next to the gas nozzle. There are some checks and balances, but not foolproof if a person’s mind was somewhere in left field. But then consistent color coding probably would not help in that case either.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #52
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
At least the stations I normally fuel at that have both gas and diesel nozzles on the same pump, if you lift the gas nozzle and press the diesel button it will not accept it and start the pump. Same if you lift the diesel nozzle and press a gas button. The diesel button is next to the diesel nozzle and the gas buttons are next to the gas nozzle. There are some checks and balances, but not foolproof if a person’s mind was somewhere in left field. But then consistent color coding probably would not help in that case either.
You hit the nail right on the head! Back in the early eighties I had a small diesel pickup as my everyday driver. One day I took my wife's car to work and needed to fuel it on the way home. I went to the same station I always did and pulled up to the same pump that I always did and, you guessed it, I started filling up with the same diesel as I always did! Fortunately I only had a few gallons in when I realized my error. I topped the tank off and made it home, albeit with a small smoke screen following me, where I was able to drain the tank. No amount of signage would have prevented my inattentiveness. And by the way the government has nothing to due with the color of the handles. Funny, isn't it, if the government regulates something we complain but if they don't regulate something that effects somebody's specific desires we complain too!
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:11 AM   #53
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Locally, I solved that problem of too many nozzels on the same island and a possible senior moment by going to a station with a diesel only island. Though not a truck stop they go through quite a bit of diesel sold to mostly folks like me and some of the local businesses. Their credit card reader also doesn't take a computer science degree like the new ones at Speedway (Hess) across the street.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #54
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchief View Post
BP stations use green for gas and black for diesel.
Don't understand why pump handles are not Federally, if not internationally, regulated. It seems universally smart that diesel pumps should all be the same color, gas another color and DEF yet another. Multiple gas octanes or types of diesel should be selectable from the same nozzle and/or on the dispensing pump. How hard is that? Of course it helps that the end user should also be paying attention to what they are doing. As to the delivery person making a mistake... yep it should covered under insurance as the end user cannot be expected to do a field fuel quality test before pumping. It is called a reasonable expectation.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #55
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
While this thread has gone from Bad Fuel to the color of the handle, has anyone found any reference to bad fuel recently?? I can find reference to one out West a couple of months ago that shut the pumps down because some trucks never made it out of the parking lot. But I have been unable to find anything this side of the Mississippi, which makes me think it never happened.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #56
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I agree I very seldom hear of bad fuel.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #57
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I agree with Michelle & Ann I haven't seen any thing I think some one may have done it to them self's but we will never know!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #58
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Don't understand why pump handles are not Federally, if not internationally, regulated. It seems universally smart that diesel pumps should all be the same color, gas another color and DEF yet another. Multiple gas octanes or types of diesel should be selectable from the same nozzle and/or on the dispensing pump. How hard is that? Of course it helps that the end user should also be paying attention to what they are doing. As to the delivery person making a mistake... yep it should covered under insurance as the end user cannot be expected to do a field fuel quality test before pumping. It is called a reasonable expectation.
Not sure we need big brother help - it would wind up costing us somehow, just pay attention to what you are pumping.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #59
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
There IS already some designated color coding in the fuel industry. Look at gas cans...RED. Look at diesel cans...BLUE. Look at Kersosene cans...YELLOW.

ALL the lids at fuel stations are also color coded for the product they contain, for delivery driver assistance and to help prevent contaminating the other products with something different, albeit not necessarily the same color coding as used in portable fuel storage containers.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #60
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Not sure we need big brother help - it would wind up costing us somehow, just pay attention to what you are pumping.
I sure agree with that. We need to get the government out of our lives not invite it in.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote