Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Coffee anyone????

Just returned from the grocery store. Coffee was $7.79 for the big can which averages out to $3.89 a pound. Maxwell House, not the fancy stuff. Gonna have to find a part time job just to support my caffiene habit.

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Got any Aldi's near ya??? Found package with more than a pound for under $3.00 total. And it was really GOOD coffee.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:24 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Chuck, give Carol another pill.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Bill, you and your pills Were you a Dr. or something? I just might chance our minds about the NE rally. Just so I can think of a way to "bug" you.

Carol
Old 01-03-2005, 01:42 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Hope you do. I see a rally going back to Goshem, In. in Sept. We will be going to it also. Carol if you can hand it out you have to be able to take it too. I'm Looking forward to it. By the way, the coffee isn't that expensive in Tx.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:57 AM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I don't think any state is as expensive as NY. Thats why we want to leave here when family obligations are settled. I know Chuck wants to get away from the "snow." Which right now we don't have any of.
For those of you that use NYS Thruway --- they raised their rates.

Carol
Old 01-03-2005, 07:58 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

For those of you that use NYS Thruway --- they raised their rates.

Carol
They had to raise the rates. It takes lots of $$$$$$ to keep all them pot holes unrepaired and clear of debris. If them pot holes were to ever get filled in that hiway would be almost bearable.

In all the time we lived in northern NY we avoided the thruway. Only time I used it was the 3 or 4 trips from I-81 to exit 39 and Meyers RV and seeing as how I'll never deal with Meyers again I have no reason to ever use the thruway again.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
By now the Thruway was supposed to be free. What a joke. Once NYS taxes something it stays taxed.
As for Myers, well that's another story. Never going back there. We noticed Great Outdoors has Montanas. Maybe we can get any work, if needed, done there.

Carol

Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Great Outdoors would be a great alternative to Meyers. Looked at their website and there was nothing there about Montana but they do handle other Keystone products and should be able to help you.

I had stumbled upon Great Outdoors after we had already signed the deal with Meyers for the Montana. The old saying, "If I knew than what I know now" about Meyers in all probability I would be living in an Everest or a Laredo or an Outback or even a Titanium, who know's what.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:19 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Raising rates doesn't bother us either. We take 3, 33 and 20 going over to Ohio. Only use the pay road going across Ohio. Too slow otherwise.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:00 AM   #11
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
That's right Bill, your from Canada. When we went to Ontario one time I almost died on one of your super highways. From fright. The don't know what slow is up there. Six lanes each side I think going about 100 miles an hour. Scarey thought.

Carol
Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:

That's right Bill, your from Canada. When we went to Ontario one time I almost died on one of your super highways. From fright. The don't know what slow is up there. Six lanes each side I think going about 100 miles an hour. Scarey thought.
Carol
That had to be the 401. Here in the states, for years I drove trucks of various sizes and I pretty much ran with the traffic. If they wanted to run 55 I ran 55, if they wanted to run 80 I ran 80.
Well 30 + years ago we honeymooned in the 1,000 Islands in northern New York before setting off for Niagra Falls. Now I was warned to go thru NY to get to the falls and avoid the 401 through Ontario. I was told the Canadians only knew one speed...FAST. Well hells bells FAST doesn't faze a seasoned truck driver so into Canada we went. I got on the 401 at Gananoque and only travled 20 or 30 miles before I got off the 401 and dropped down to route 2 where we stayed until I was forced to return to the 401. It seemed that no matter how fast we drove there were 20 or 30 other cars and trucks that ran faster. There was no such thing as running with the flow.

It don't end there.....

Many years later I started going to Florida and the route of choice from the northeast is I-95. Guess what? The D#$% Americans drive the same way as them Canadians. In some areas we ran 75 and felt as though we were holding up traffic. BUT than I also realized that a lot of those drivers on 95 were Canadians heading for Florida for the winter. I got to thinking and now I do believe the Canadians used I-95 as a training ground to prepare them to drive the 401.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glenn,

You are now ready for the Autobann in Germany!

ICKKKKK. You go 85 and they want you to move over NOW so they can pass you at 120! and that is MPH!

Next time we will take the TRAIN!

Carol
Old 01-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #14
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Best coffee I've found, and I love coffee is Kirkland brand from Costco. Comes in a three pound can and it costs between $5.00 and $7.00 depending in coffee prices generally. That's less than $2.50 a pound and I haven't found much better coffee.

You can also get decaf that is just as good and almost as cheap.

The 401 is kind of fun though?
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:48 AM   #15
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I don't remember the name of the highway. But honest, as soon as we got to the hotel, the elevator couldn't go up fast enough, I raced to the bathroom and threw up. I'm from quiet CNY where you putter along at your own speed.
Another place is the main drag into Philadelphia. Those people are nuts.

Carol
Old 01-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
If we are going to vote for crazy drivers, may I also include (other than the Autobann)

Boston, MA???

They do U turns in Boston while in the middle of tunnels!

Carol
Old 01-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:

I don't remember the name of the highway. But honest, as soon as we got to the hotel, the elevator couldn't go up fast enough, I raced to the bathroom and threw up. I'm from quiet CNY where you putter along at your own speed.
Another place is the main drag into Philadelphia. Those people are nuts.
Carol
I know that one too. I lived in Reading, PA just west of Philly and traveled that road at least twice a week for years. It's actual name is the Schuylkill Expressway, (Expressway??? that'll be the day). Schuylkill is pronounced something like "school kill" or for those that have to travel it everyday it's called the SUREKILL Expressway. The Schully connects the PA Turnpike to Philly and New Jersey at the Walt Whitman bridge.
I am sure harleyrider and NJ Hillbilly know this hiway only too well.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Glenn,

You are now ready for the Autobann in Germany!

ICKKKKK. You go 85 and they want you to move over NOW so they can pass you at 120! and that is MPH!

Next time we will take the TRAIN!

Carol
Personally I'd like to drive the Autobann but not in a car or truck but rather in a Sherman Tank. Talk about gettin run over.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #19
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Glenn, where I live the 401 is a highway we travel often and it can get scary at times, especially through a city like Toronto. We aren't far from the Buffalo to Detroit corridor and this highway is travelled heavily by Americans. Our speed limit is posted at 100 kilometers per hour but I'm sure many Americans think that means 100mph and I find the Americans travelling faster than most Canadians. I usually keep the speed to 55-65mph with the Monty and less than 70mph without and have few problems with those faster drivers. They can pass me all they like. I travel both sides of the border and totally believe there are idiots on both sides.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:20 AM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
there are idiots on both sides.
Chester you are 100% correct. I believe that the day I was referencing every American and Canadian idiot was on the same stretch of 401 and heading in the same direction that I was.
About 12 years ago we moved from southeastern PA to northern NY near Ogdensburg. Over the following 10 years I traveled the 401 many many times. Without the trailer I will run with the traffic. With the trailer I like it at about 60 to 65 MPH.

Oh yeah, I remember the first time I saw a 100 KPH speed limit. I did a double take as I also thought it said 100 MPH.