Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2004, 05:54 AM   #1
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
What kind of truck tires

What brand is everyone running. I have 265 BF Goodrich on my F250 and hate them. Am used to Michelins. Saw in an earlier post that the 265 will hold more than the 245s that came on the truck. I was told that I could plan to spend about $1200.00 for Michelin 365s, E rated and about $400.00 less for the 245s. Are they worth it?

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:03 AM   #2
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Hi PowellsMonty. Welcome to the club. I am still using the tires that came on my truck. Firestone Steeltex. I think they are 265/75/R16. I currently have 64,000 miles on them with tread left. They are very quiet and carry the load great with no trouble. I will replace then with the same tires when they wear out. About $600 for a set.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:12 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our '99 F350 had Firestone Steeltex R4S and I loved them. Replaced them with the same thing when they wore out.

Our '03 F350 came with Pirelli and I thought they rode too hard. Put Michelins on when the Pirellis wore out and loved them.

The '05 F250 has BF Goodrich and I love them. They have a soft ride, seem to hold the road well and a test I read about said they're great on wet and dry surfaces but marginal on offroad trips over rocks and the like. Maybe we have a different BFG tire than you do? Ours are the BFG Rugged Trail T/A in LT265/70R17. When these wear out I'll go with the same thing unless they prove not to wear well. We have just 6,000 miles on them but the wear pattern so far appears excellent.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Mike,

My recent experience has been with the Michelin 265-75R16 E LTX A/S. I changed them out at 50,000 mi. Didn't have to but we were getting ready another summer of towing, which we knew would be about 10,000 mi. They had a perfect wear patern on them and were still very quiet. I replaced them with the same and would do it again. Very satisfied.

I paid less than $900 at Discount Tire with a lifetime road hazzard warranty and free lifetime (the tires not mine LOL) rotation and balance. Hope you have Discount Tire near you.

If you need a new Tire anywhere you are given an 800# and they will get you a new Tire, even if it happens to be a State that doesn't have Discount Tire Stores.

They are rated at 3415 lbs. at 80psi max.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Had the Michelins as original equipment. Wore them bald after about 40,000. Because they were original equipment they would not honour the lifetime warrenty.... they were supposed to be good for 6o to 70,000. Replaced them with Generals... so far so good.... and a lot less $$$ then the Michelins.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Firestones came on the truck. Last September I had 50,000 on them, plenty of tread left, but all four tires, the sidewalls were cracked. A couple of them really bad. Did not feel safe pulling the Monty on these tires. Replaced them with Michelins. To me they seem to give me a smoother ride. A little pricey at $1,000, but so far I'm happy with them.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Mine came with Firestone Steeltex. Worn out with a near perfect wear pattern at only 38,000 miles.
Replaced with Uniroyal. After 17,000 miles they still look like new.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:41 PM   #8
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I must say I have been thru some tires. I currently have the BF's and they are great. I have the Mich. on my old truck, and I must say they were horrible in the snow, light snow on pavment and I was all over. Got rid of them and got the BF's and they were great. had Goodyears too, BAD BAD wear problems.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:18 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ed's must be a different tread pattern. Drove ours in 2 inches of snow and in 8 inches and it was great in both (BFG's). So we probably need to talk which tire of a particular brand.

The Michelins we had were the same thing AZStar got at Discount Tire. LT 265/75R16 LRE LTX A/S. Just wanted to point out to anyone interested I bought those tires at a Walmart in the Portland, OR, area. I knew they carried Michelin but didn't see my size/LR, etc. Asked and they could special order them. Total cost, out the door, tires, balancing, mounting, lifetime road hazard/free balance/free rotation at any Walmart, and sales tax came to a couple bucks past $725 for four tires. So don't forget Walmart when shopping for tires. That was this last Spring.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #10
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kozzy45

I must say I have been thru some tires. ... had Goodyears too, BAD BAD wear problems.
Ed,

I have Goodyears. The front tires are wearing terrible. The rear duallies are AOK.

When you replaced your Goodyears, did you have the front end aligned at the same time? Just trying to figure how a particular tread design could account for a bad wear problem.

My son, who thinks he knows everything (and in truth knows a lot more than me!) says that the poor tread wear on our Chevy 3500s is due to the 4X4 drive. I plan on keeping the truck for a LONG time so would like to figure my poor tire tread wear pattern out.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have the BF Rugged Trail Terran T/A right now, they are great. I dont remember the model Mich I had, but they were load range E, and the tred was not that aggressive.

As for the Goodyear wear problem, my truck was not a dually, but was 4x4, the problem was only in the front tires, but eventually, after rotations, on all four. Several other people I knew with the same model had the same problems on pickups, but I know others that had them on SUV's and liked them. I had the Wrangler AT/S, they sucked. I replaced them with a much more aggressive tire, the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO and they were awsome. I also had my front end alligned several times to try and fix the wear problem with no success. I happen to notice on Every truck I see with those model Goodyears are wearing very oddly. I woulod recommend the BF Goodrich Ruggad Trail T/A, like I have now, they have a nice ride, are good in snow and off road conditions, and have the E load range, which my 1 ton, and I am sure your dually need. Hope that helps.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:47 AM   #12
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
I currently have the same tires as Steve (Streigle).I am very happy with the BFG tires. It cost me $601.39 to have four of them put on at Discount Tire.
We had Firestone Steel Tex that came with the truck and they were terrible. The Firestone's created hot spots. Even after I rotated the tires every 5000 miles along with my oil changes. Firestone wouldn't stand by their product so we will never buy another Firestone product.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:15 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DrivesBGM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kozzy45

I must say I have been thru some tires. ... had Goodyears too, BAD BAD wear problems.
Ed,

I have Goodyears. The front tires are wearing terrible. The rear duallies are AOK.

When you replaced your Goodyears, did you have the front end aligned at the same time? Just trying to figure how a particular tread design could account for a bad wear problem.

My son, who thinks he knows everything (and in truth knows a lot more than me!) says that the poor tread wear on our Chevy 3500s is due to the 4X4 drive. I plan on keeping the truck for a LONG time so would like to figure my poor tire tread wear pattern out.

Craig
Craig, although my post probably sounds like it I didn't mean to imply that tread design causes bad wear. As you know, that could be a mechanical problem with the truck or could be a problem with the tire. What I trying to say was that when we talk about how long a tire wears or how good or bad the traction we probably should point to the particular tire model rather than just the mfr. In some cases, at least, I'd bet one model might have great wet traction while another model from the same mfr might be terrible in rain. Sorry if I misled.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:16 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike and Wendy

I currently have the same tires as Steve (Streigle).I am very happy with the BFG tires. It cost me $601.39 to have four of them put on at Discount Tire.
We had Firestone Steel Tex that came with the truck and they were terrible. The Firestone's created hot spots. Even after I rotated the tires every 5000 miles along with my oil changes. Firestone wouldn't stand by their product so we will never buy another Firestone product.
Mike, 'hot spot' in tires is a new term to me. What does that mean and how would I recognize it? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #15
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
I miss printed it, they were flat spots. I was the person who was HOT when the tires on my brand new truck had flat spots.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #16
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
My original Goodyear ATS wore ok for 38,000. They were horrible in the mud but fine otherwise. I then put on Dunlop Rover A/T's good traction only lasted 17,000 mi. If it was quiet You could actually hear them wearing when the truck was parked .

I now have a new design ATS from Cooper. They seem good but only time will tell.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:45 PM   #17
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have heard from many others that have the Cooper that they are a great tire, a guy I work with, that also has a Ram and Montana, has them, and says good things about them.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:52 AM   #18
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
The Michelin 265/75R16 LTX MS tires were the ones I put on instead of the 245's that were standard on the truck. The Michelin LTX MS is E rated. Sam's sell them for 173.00 Discount Tire want 193.00 complete price, installed, balanced etc.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 05:43 AM   #19
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
FYI,

While on the phone today with Discount Tire asking about another issue, I asked the question about cheaper prices at places like Sam,s and Walmart and was told they will not be under sold and will match any price peroid.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 09:01 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's good to know about Discount Tire. I've used them before and was pleased with their service. When I replaced the Firestones on our '99 truck with another set of Firestones I took their ad in that said they're selling Firestone tires 4 for the price of 3. The manager told me that sale is only for P metric passenger car tires, not LT truck tires. I suggested they need to put that in their ad the next time. He gave me the sale price anyow.

Mike, thanks for the 'flat spot / hot spot' clarification. Here I thought I was going to learn something new.

I've had Cooper tires on passenger cars and was pleased with them. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on our truck and trailer if they had the best deal.