Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2018, 06:02 AM   #1
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
RAM 3500 Mega / Slider or not?

Hello,

I searched and read a lot but still lost.

We are new to the 5th wheels and try to get a proper understanding on the slider / no slider hitch option.

Most people tell us no slider needed for our planed setup.

We have a RAM 3500 Mega Cab short bed, SRW.
The Trailer we are looking at is a Montana High Country 305RL
The Hitch we want is a B&W Companion turnover ball mount

Can someone please let me know with real world experience, maybe with our combo, if we will survive without the Companion Slider version?
What are your thoughts?

I would like to avoid the slider mainly because of the weight when I have to get it in and out of the truck bed.
Also the payload does not have to much play in our combo and it would be nice also here to have a lighter hitch.

Other than that I think better have it and not use it ...

Thanks for your help,
Mike

suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
You will get a lot of opinions here on sliders. Personally I don't think you need one because the B&W hitch is adjustable. You cna move it back if you think you will have a problem. You just need to test your setup out before you take it on the road. I had a problem with mine on a hill going up to make a tight turn. Had no problem in my neighborhood doing a 180 turn but When I was going uphill My trailer broke the back window. Now I had tested it at home and found out the hard way that the hitch was to close. So I moved my hitch back one hole and that fixed my clearance problem. My advice is to start with one hole back and start there. Weight doesn't have to be directly over the axle but with the design of the B&W it doesn't change anything.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have a Dodge Maxi and have towed two different Montana's over 75,000 miles with it. Our first slider had a problem with rusting because we never used it. Then we got a Pullrite and needed it twice due to uneven ground and the turn necessary. If you really want to make a decision call your dodge dealer and ask how much a new rear window costs, you'll be surprised.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Safe lite replaced my rear window in my former Ford F-250. $400!

If have an issue on the road I highly recommend Safelite. They will come to you and do a great job. We were able to just stay at the campground and enjoy our camper while they fixed the window!!

Oh and that experience is why I strongly recommend long beds to folks that haven’t towed before....but that will start a “get your popcorn debate” so let’s pretend I didn’t say it.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just went with a long bed....Twice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Short bed (6.5') on my Silverado. Have a slider hitch, but never had to use the slide in 2 years, but it has been tight, so I keep a close eye on it in tight turns. The newer 5ers have pretty good clearance on flat ground.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Thank You. I think I'll check with my dealer again
I hope we could do some testing slider vs non before we hit the road.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
Thank You. I think I'll check with my dealer again
I hope we could do some testing slider vs non before we hit the road.
I have pulled 5th wheels since 1995 with short beds (6.5 foot) and have never had a slider, although have seen a number of trucks with damaged cab and or back windows smashed. One had to be very careful when backing into some spots that required anything over 65 degrees and or uphill. It became quite challenging and sometimes wasn't able to get into a site because it required too tight of a turn. This was all before the new radius front caps when everything had "square fronts". The newer units cap design has reduced the need for a slider dramatically. My advise is to save your money and the extra problems associated with the slider hitches and go with a conventional good quality hitch. Enjoy your new rig!
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
I have pulled 5th wheels since 1995 with short beds (6.5 foot) and have never had a slider, although have seen a number of trucks with damaged cab and or back windows smashed. One had to be very careful when backing into some spots that required anything over 65 degrees and or uphill. It became quite challenging and sometimes wasn't able to get into a site because it required too tight of a turn. This was all before the new radius front caps when everything had "square fronts". The newer units cap design has reduced the need for a slider dramatically. My advise is to save your money and the extra problems associated with the slider hitches and go with a conventional good quality hitch. Enjoy your new rig!
This is my line of thinking also. To add to this I feel that if one backs in a way that could make the fiver and truck come into contact they are putting way too much stress on the trailers suspension and tires.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
This is my line of thinking also. To add to this I feel that if one backs in a way that could make the fiver and truck come into contact they are putting way too much stress on the trailers suspension and tires.
Haven’t tried to park in many tree hugging environmentalist designed government parks eh? I swear they design federal campgrounds to prevent anyone with something other than a tent on a bike from using the spots!!!
Old 03-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Haven’t tried to park in many tree hugging environmentalist designed government parks eh? I swear they design federal campgrounds to prevent anyone with something other than a tent on a bike from using the spots!!!
Happen to use state or COE parks 95% of time but I am a retired trucker with approximately 3.5 million logged miles. Unsure of number of unlogged!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
My F350 SB has a few inches more than GM and Ram. My 2017 HC has radius front. Figured on buying the Companion but after hitching ordered the B&W Patriot Slider. I may never need it but I'm going to be prepared if I do. Yes, it is heavy at about 220# but very well built in the US with US steel. It takes less than a 90 to have the 5er and truck kiss. The end result is expensive
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Happen to use state or COE parks 95% of time but I am a retired trucker with approximately 3.5 million logged miles. Unsure of number of unlogged!
We are the same. Our S&B is only 8 miles from Greer’s Ferry lake and there are at least a dozen COE or State parks less than hours drive of same. We use those nearly every weekend during the summer. But both of us know they aren’t made for big rigs and some of the federal planners don’t like big rigs.

Hats off to you as a pro driver! I drove short haul bobtail at the start of my oilfield career so I respect the drivers. I’m that guy who gets over for ya and actually knows what a turn signal is. In fact, my advice to anyone towing is to go with the flow of the truckers. Get in the rocking chair, setup a cushion and click off miles! If only everyone would drive like that
Old 04-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We had the Anderson ultimate hitch in the back of our 2015 Ram Megacab... With only 2000 miles on the truck, backing into our driveway, the trailer contacted the Truck... 1200 in damage, New back windows plus body and paint work. Anderson contacted me and said they would help.. Like paying for the damage or something... NOPE, they did not pay a thing.. Pullrite and DEMCO both make an auto slider hitch.. Demcos does not require a capture plate..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #15
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
We had the Anderson ultimate hitch in the back of our 2015 Ram Megacab... With only 2000 miles on the truck, backing into our driveway, the trailer contacted the Truck... 1200 in damage, New back windows plus body and paint work. Anderson contacted me and said they would help.. Like paying for the damage or something... NOPE, they did not pay a thing.. Pullrite and DEMCO both make an auto slider hitch.. Demcos does not require a capture plate..
OMG

sorry to hear that ...

we decided to stay with B&W companion without slider.
The pins are set in the most backward position.
Our maneuvers so far did not show alerting issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645 (1).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	1484  
Old 04-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
With most all Fifthwheels now coming with contoured front caps and more importantly an extended Fifthwheel hitch it is a lot easier to use a short box pickup. Years ago the Fifthwheels had square front caps and the hitch pin was directly below the framework. I have a long box and still made contact on a parking lot that sloped down and then sloped up in a very short distance. Truck still has a tiny dent on passenger side of rear window.
Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 04-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #17
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
All i can say is, shortbed, pullrite slider or demco,,, but serious towing, get a dually..longbed..period..
Old 04-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
With most all Fifthwheels now coming with contoured front caps and more importantly an extended Fifthwheel hitch it is a lot easier to use a short box pickup. Years ago the Fifthwheels had square front caps and the hitch pin was directly below the framework. I have a long box and still made contact on a parking lot that sloped down and then sloped up in a very short distance. Truck still has a tiny dent on passenger side of rear window.
Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty

Lippert makes 2 pinboxes. The extended pinbox is rated to 15K or 16K. 5ers with a gvwr over 15K has the short pinbox or an aftermarket/upgrade. No problem with the short pinbox and the B&W Patriot slider even though I have not had a need for the slider yet.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #19
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
All i can say is, shortbed, pullrite slider or demco,,, but serious towing, get a dually..longbed..period..
No such thing as a long bed mega cab. �� At least not from the factory.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #20
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
No such thing as a long bed mega cab. �� At least not from the factory.
There are companies that convert the Mega Cab to a LONG BED... One is "extend my truck" out of boise Idaho..