Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Ford Tow Command System

We just bought a 2005 Ford F30 PSD with the new tow command system. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? Thanks.

bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations on a great new truck! We haven't towed with ours yet so can't give you any firsthand info. Post back if you tow with it before we do. It will be early January for us. Any pictures of your new truck?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is always a proud day when a cowboy gets a new mount. Congratulations!!!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks! Steve, I think ours may look just like yours. It's white, arizona beige trim, tan interior, dually. We won't be towing for several months as we are in Illinois taking care of our granddaughter and don't plan to leave until after her 2nd birthday. Are you going to plug in over the tailgate, or did you have a new plug put in the truck bed? This is soooo much fun to have a new truck.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:49 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sounds just like ours other than the dually part. How do you like how nice and short it turns compared to the prior models? Really nice when parking. Hard to believe it's a truck.

I'll probably just run the cord over the tailgate (I'm using a fifthwheel v-gate) and bungee the cord to one of the louvers in the gate. On our '99 I put a plug in the bed. On our '03 I left it below the bumper and bungeed the cord. I'll probably do the same on this one. How about you? Only problem with having it in the bed was on rainy days I'd have to lay something over the bedrail while connecting the cord or I'd end up with a wet shirt.

I see you're listed as from Sioux Falls. Are you a 'real' South Dakotan or paper ones like us?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:11 AM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have only had "Big Betty" for about 2 weeks. Ran up to Sioux Falls over Thanksgiving and loved it. We had a 96 Dodge 2500, Cummins, for 9 years before this. It was a good little truck, but this new Ford is much more comfortable.

We are 'paper' South Dakotans like you. Alternative Resouces has been very reliable and helpful.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

We have only had "Big Betty" for about 2 weeks. Ran up to Sioux Falls over Thanksgiving and loved it. We had a 96 Dodge 2500, Cummins, for 9 years before this. It was a good little truck, but this new Ford is much more comfortable.

We are 'paper' South Dakotans like you. Alternative Resouces has been very reliable and helpful.
Congratulation on the new steed. Most folks I have talked to really like the new tow command system. A fried of mine has said that it really gives him a total sense of control over his load. Keep us posted.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #8
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
There's more to the 2005 f350 than just the new tow comand systen.
Starring from the ground up the front axel is 5ft 5 in wider than before.Theire is a knew steering box and steering wheel.There are no longer leaf springs on the 4x4s,they have coils that are weight related to the GVR of of the truck. The frame is identical to the f459 and f550.They boxed the front portioned and thicked all of it,plus the installed an additional crossmenber for support.
It has larger brakes on the front and rear,the rotors are drilled fo cooling purposes and it now has dual pistons in the calaipers as well. The engine is more responsive because of direct rail injection and it has a new type of turbo also.
In the rear seeting area they have fold down flooring for careing tools or food.It has a 60/40 bench seat that has numerious positions.There are child safety hooks installed for child seats and a fold down arm rest with cup holders when the seat is in the normal position. On the out sid the only differance is the large CROME GRILL. I have a 4.10 rear and at 80 mph it's at 2,300 rpm range and it will stay the for as long as you want it,but I don't like to run that fast with a gross weight of jusy over 22,650 pounds.
I have had and driven all makes and modles of trucks bun this is the BEST for the price you will ever have. And it rides soooooo smoth. We have had ours since the 21st. of sept and it has 5,800 miles on it so far and all but about 750 have beem towing the Montana. We certainly have NO complaints !!!
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:10 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Wow Eagle One! Thanks for the glowing endorsement!
Old 12-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #10
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
EAGLEONE after reading your endorsement, I may have to go and see about a swap. I really like mine, but of course it is 5 years old and paid for. What can I say? Great luck with your new ride.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:30 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I really liked our '99 and our '03 but this '05 is a major step forward from there. As solid as our prior trucks seemed, this one rides, handles, and feels unbelievably solid. One more little thing to add to Eagle One's comments, something not often mentioned that I really like is the second glove compartment, this one within easy reach for the driver. Very handy.

We took delivery on ours on October 25 and have 4400 miles on it now. Tomorrow we'll add about 275 to that. We haven't towed with it yet, though. By the way, I've not had a chance to get the oil changed yet (shame on me). This morning when I checked it, it was still on the full mark with no oil added. But then our '03 and '99 were the same way. Used no oil, even with heavy towing. Friday I'm going to get the oil changed. Nice to see Walmart now carries the Motorcraft oil filter for the 6.0 PSD at well under half what Ford gets for it.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #12
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
We made the jump to the new 2005 F350 Ford and have been pulling the 3380 for almost a month now. Great truck! We have the same model, white, arizona beige, and duelly, now we are looking for the new montana graphics!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:55 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kim and Steve, do you have the new builtin brake controller? What do you think of it?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #14
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
[quote]Originally posted by bob n pam

We just bought a 2005 Ford F30 PSD with the new tow command system. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? Thanks.
[/

quote] I have a 2004 Ford 450 with tow mode I just turn it on when I tow the Monty works great. I pulled our trailer 6000 miles this summer it's great going down hill down shifts helps holding back your unit.
jars Richard E. Smith
jars is offline   Reply With Quote