Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
rickandsandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #13975
nonexistant warrenty service from dealer and facto

ordered a big sky 3750fl from a dealer in michigan lsst fall,recieved the trailer at the end of january with the lower left window in the dinnette slide shattered.because of the cold weather and my winter work i had no choice but to duct tape it over until spring.ended up waiting until i got home 3 weeks ago because noone could figure out what size the window was,phoned the dealer yesterday to find out the new window hasnt left the factory yet.is there someone at the factory or keystone i can call to get this window moving?

rickandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First find out if your dealer actually ordered the window and when. The dealer should have a dated invoice of the order. Then call Keystone customer. service at 866-425-4369. Have your VIN number ready and your dealer name. It is doubtful that the service center has the window in stock and will have to order from the vendor. The order process goes like this. Dealer orders the part from keystone. keystone orders part from vendor, vendor ships part to keystone, keystone ships part to dealer. Dealer informs you part is in. The most common problem is the dealer never ordered the part in the first place or it is on back order from the vendor and you were never informed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Amen Rich. We are still waiting on a piece of molding from last Sept. I finally called Keystone and they told me that all that had under my name and rig was a new 50 amp cable. I told them that they could send it to me, even though I didn't need one (don't know who ordered it). But CW still hasn't ordered the molding.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have seen how the order process works at the service center. The order process is online. IF the dealer orders the part the service center will get the order and start the process. The weak point is usually the dealer who did not order the part or has not informed the customer of the progress.

For those that have had their Montana worked on at the service center and have seen the inventory there know that there is a lot of inventory at the service center but it are used for the day to day operations of the service center in the repair of the product. Remember this is the Keystone service center and services all Keystone brands .It would be impossible to stock inventory for all those brands not to mention not very cost effective.

All the vendors are close by and it is cost effective to order specific part directly from the vendor rather than have thousands of parts in stock .I am sure many of us have seen the parade of vendor trucks at the factory early in the morning delivering stock for that work day.

I always get a copy of the order from the dealer so we know the part has been ordered and do my own follow up. That's the way it is in the RV industry.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
A customer oriented dealer would have jumped on the problem and had the window fixed before delivery. Amazing how slow things can get once you own it and it is off the dealer lot.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:39 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
It took almost 2 months to get my window from the factory.... They said there was a train wreck???
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

For those that have had their Montana worked on at the service center and have seen the inventory there
I would have except Keystone refused me access and even threatened a trespassing charge if I just showed up.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gosh Phil all I did was ask if we could have a tour of the facility while we were there and they did. It was George who did the tour some may remember him as he is no longer there. We have been in the facility on other occasions. I will check next time and see if your picture is on the wall......
Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

A customer oriented dealer would have jumped on the problem and had the window fixed before delivery. Amazing how slow things can get once you own it and it is off the dealer lot.
The majority of the dealers for the OEM see their profit center as sales. Most of them that I have been to including CW look at their service department as a necessary evil and a loser so you get little or no “customer service” from them.

Keystones idea of customer service is to require the purchaser to use the selling dealer, they did at one time have some independent repair centers designated to handle warranty service but I don’t believe there are any of those remaining. I use and independent repair center that use to be a designate repair center for Keystone for my house and roof work. I still haven’t found a competent plumbing and electrical repair facility.

Phil P
Old 04-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Our Ser dept leads our store in profit almost every month. Yes , sometimes parts are slow coming and we do make occasional mistakes, but we make most folks happy. Our communications with Ser customers is our weakest point, but improving all the time. Nope, not perfect but professional.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Gosh Phil all I did was ask if we could have a tour of the facility while we were there and they did. It was George who did the tour some may remember him as he is no longer there. We have been in the facility on other occasions. I will check next time and see if your picture is on the wall......
Richfaa

That was customer service remember Mr. Holmes department the same department that said they don’t cross reference structure failures. I was told there wasn’t a service center and when I mentioned this forum they said I couldn’t use it and when I said I was in Shipshewana and could just pull the unit over there I was told I could not just show up with my unit and if I did they would take proper steps to remove me.

This was all on the phone so remember any phone call in response to an email is because they don’t want a verbatim record of what is being said. I found this out when I ask them to read me their computer record of one of the phone calls I received for a previous response to an email to find what was recorded there was only what the person I was speaking to wanted in the record.

You should have come to the realization that:

#1 my unit had to have been deliberately delivered from the factory in the condition it was in. You yourself said it couldn’t have gotten by the final inspection but it did. This indicates a labor dispute.

#2 the primary purpose of their customer service department is to limit the warranty claims cost. There is no way to counter this, look at your warranty and read the paragraph before the statement that the new owner is required to inspect the sealants every 6 months. Then Keystone refuses my warranty because water caused rot from leak behind the wall where it could not be seen in an area that would not make its present know because the water was going under the basement floor cover. The statement was in accordance with the above mention paragraphs I was required to inspect all sealant the first 3 months including removing the sink and shower drains to check the caulking there.

A couple of misconceptions on this forum are: I purchased for price. This is not correct it was that large basement and the appearance of a lot of extra room inside the trailer that sold this trailer. The basement is large to accommodate what we put in it I and the interior is still larger than a class A even with slides.

And the second misconception from this forum is that I don’t like the trailer, there again this quite incorrect we love the trailer it is just too bad that we purchase from a pair of charlatans, the dealer and the manufacturer. We spent a large sum of money finishing this trailer and repairing the damage to this trailer caused by the incomplete construction because we like it.

Like I said in another post, just give up and spend the money to properly finish the do-it-yourself kits that Keystone is selling.

Phil P
Old 04-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Our Ser dept leads our store in profit almost every month. Yes , sometimes parts are slow coming and we do make occasional mistakes, but we make most folks happy. Our communications with Ser customers is our weakest point, but improving all the time. Nope, not perfect but professional.
HOOK

I believe you introduced me to some of the personnel from the company you are working for at the RR track when you got your ride on the trains.

The conversation I had with them does indicate that they are on the “band wagon” with customer service and I would expect your service department to be making a profit.

There is no reason for a service department not to make money all they have to do is hire competent technicians with a good work ethic.

Unfortunately the high volume sales companies are owned by “salesmen” not “business men” and most salesmen look at the service department like a redheaded step son.

CW Robertsdale Al has this same problem, we had made an appointment in advance for a roof inspection and some repairs. They said they did the roof inspection but couldn’t do all of the repairs because they had new trailers to get ready for the sales department.

We had a new company move in to or local city, they started out with a good sales manage and a very knowledgably service manage. They let the service manager go because he couldn’t find local technicians for the shop. They soon fell into this new trailer sales get ready routine until the sales manager left and now they are building a reputation of being the placed not to go for repairs.

Phil P
Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil you have had a horrible experience with your Montana and with just about everybody you have had contact with at Keystone. Our experiences have not been anywhere near perfect but pale in comparison to your experiences. We certainly have not got everything our way when dealing with the service center and their reps but our experiences have been professional and in just about every case we have been satisfied.

we have dealt with Mr Holmes on more than one occasion and our experiences have been positive. We have also been fortunate enough because of our ability to attend the Fall rallies met I think everyone of the service center reps. We have found them to be knowledgeable and helpful.

We are also fortunate enough to be kind of Near Goshen/Elkhart were there are many excellent Rv repair facilities and many that do overflow work for the various Manufacturers including Keystone. We have our major repairs done at those facilities. IMO there is not a dealer nearby that I feel is qualified to do any major work.

I am not exactly a cheerleader for the RV industry and Keystone/Montana takes some good hits from me when deserved. However after two Montana's nearly 8 years and over 70K miles traveled we feel the Montana's, warts and all have served us well and so has the service center and all concerned.

Your experiences however show how a system can let you down.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
We are heading to Indiana from Florida .Can you recommend some of those places to us? We have had some major issues with our Montana and need to find someone competent, and with few excuses to fix the problems. Thank you for any help.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hello richfaa

The bottom line is if a company will not respond to a written request with a written answer then there is a reason for that.

Phil P
Old 04-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hello richfaa

The bottom line is if a company will not respond to a written request with a written answer then there is a reason for that.

Phil P
I agree with that 100%.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dreamersandtravelers

We are heading to Indiana from Florida .Can you recommend some of those places to us? We have had some major issues with our Montana and need to find someone competent, and with few excuses to fix the problems. Thank you for any help.
We primarily use D&T RRV Repair Inc, 2719 Firehorn Dr,Goshen In 56526, phone 574-533- 1803. they are right behind the Montana plant and very near the service center. You can also call the Keystone service center and ask them to recommend a facility they use for overflow.

Are you still under OEM warranty. The Keystone service center is outstanding.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

The majority of the dealers for the OEM see their profit center as sales. Most of them that I have been to including CW look at their service department as a necessary evil and a loser so you get little or no “customer service” from them.

Keystones idea of customer service is to require the purchaser to use the selling dealer, they did at one time have some independent repair centers designated to handle warranty service but I don’t believe there are any of those remaining. I use and independent repair center that use to be a designate repair center for Keystone for my house and roof work. I still haven’t found a competent plumbing and electrical repair facility.

Phil P
You should talk to the folks at General RV here in Michigan. Their service department must be a gold mine. Labor rate is $135 an hour. Washing an RV is $10 a foot. I was afraid to ask about waxing! They wanted $500 to install our Reese frame rails, which was exactly double what I ended up paying.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

You should talk to the folks at General RV here in Michigan. Their service department must be a gold mine. Labor rate is $135 an hour. Washing an RV is $10 a foot. I was afraid to ask about waxing! They wanted $500 to install our Reese frame rails, which was exactly double what I ended up paying.

They could all be a gold mine if the dealer was managed by a business men instead of a sales man. The mind set of most sales people is selling and maintenance is only necessary to get the sold trailer delivered.

I am sure there are a few that are managed by business people that look at the entire business as a winner but the majority of the OEM dealers are sales oriented not service oriented.

Now that we have our trailer finally in a condition that makes it usable we will use it until it finally just wears out but we will never purchase another THOR product again because the manufacturer is sales oriented and that results in a very poor customer service attitude.

Phil P