Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Frozen Water Hose?

I often joke about the "great weather" we have in Northern California. *Since we use our Montana nearly every weekend, and the fact freezing temps are rare, I don't winterize. *The problem we experienced two weeks ago involved a froze water hose. *I am sure this will turn out to be a stupid question. *What do you do to keep water hose from freezing? *I covered mine, but during the night we got 6 inches of snow, in Redding. *We were camping near Shasta Lake and temps dropped more than I expected. *Do I wrap it in blankets, buy a heating element ? *Please advise.*

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Suggestions:
1. Put water in your holding tank and switch to using your water pump for water needs. Remove and drain your water hose and store in your basement.
2. Another trick that works well is to open a faucet in the rig so that it just drips. This constant movement of water will prevent the line from freezing. Open your sewer valve for the tank you're using.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
We camp in freezing weather routinely. I do what Steve does (option 1). I also carry an extra hose all of the time as well, so swapping them out if one freezes is my second option.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I do the same things as others here. There is a hose with a heat strip built in available at Camping World.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Big Dave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13075
I bought a good heavy duty water hose (drinking water safe) laid heat tape on it, then used electrical tape every 6in to secure to hose, then put that round foam pipe insulation over that and duct taped it end to end. Be careful to leave the temp sensor exposed with the black little button touching the hose. We have been below zero here with the wind chills and has worked fine, with no frozen hose.

Or as previously stated you can buy a premade heated hose from many camping supply stores that are guaranteed down to -40 degrees.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
When I was parked long term (over a couple months) I put heat tape on my hose and the used pipe insulation. There are commercial hoses (farm use for one) with the heat tape included in the design/assembly. They are expensive but available.
Now I am moving weekly I do as other and fill my holding tank, drain the hose and reconnect when extra water is need.

Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
When traveling I carry a spare hose so if we wake to a frozen hose I just connect the spare.If I know it is going to dip below freezing I will disconnect hose let drain over the bed of truck connect in the Am this is just for short term over night when we are headed to Fl.Heat tape is the way to go long term something we do not do.Warm Weather is Camping Weather for us!!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We've been traveling fulltime for over 8 years for Carols job and have ended up in some very cold places for the winter, Hardin, Montana being the coldest. We learned a long time ago that your on board water tank is your friend. We keep ours full all the time we are stopped for work, usually 13 weeks at a time. That means we waste the water by emptying it on the ground or water the flowers with it before we leave, but that's just the way life is.

We also keep heat tape on our water line, but unhook it and drain it when the temps are going to be in single digits and use our on board water tank. The unhooking it applies to previous years as this year we are fully skirted with heat tape, heat lamps, etc.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Thanks everyone. The use tank water sounds great. I maintain my tanks to high specs. I might as well use that water!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That just makes me nervous to leave the water trickling when the tanks are closed ,I just put heat tape like Dave and others and leave the heat on to 62 at night and never had any problems with freezing in 3 years of fulltiming in cold weather
Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

That just makes me nervous to leave the water trickling when the tanks are closed ,I just put heat tape like Dave and others and leave the heat on to 62 at night and never had any problems with freezing in 3 years of fulltiming in cold weather
Didn't say to leave the tanks closed...it was stated to leave them open. Many of us have used this procedure with temps in the low 30's and high 20's with no problems. It is simply a much easier way to avoid freeze-up in low temp for short periods.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah but if you leave them open you end up with a block of ice in your hose,either way not a big fan of leaving the water trickling UNLESS you do not have a heated hose,with my first 5th I did that and that is exactly what happened and it was real fun sitting with a hair dryer for an hour thawing it out in 10 degree weather so I could empty my poop tank
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Didn't say to leave the tanks closed...it was stated to leave them open. Many of us have used this procedure with temps in the low 30's and high 20's with no problems. It is simply a much easier way to avoid freeze-up in low temp for short periods.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Yeah but if you leave them open you end up with a block of ice in your hose,either way not a big fan of leaving the water trickling.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do what you are comfortable with. I am just passing on another easy way to keep from freezing your water line in temps that are low for a short duration. I have never had a freezing problem in the sewer line. Again this method is not meant to be used for days with below freezing temps but for overnight situations when the temp drops for a few hours. To clarify - the water should not trickle but only needs to drip.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Three words "Pirit Heated Hose" had one for years no problems
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

Three words "Pirit Heated Hose" had one for years no problems
That is the one I purchased. It comes on when it needs to. I also have left my faucet running at night when temps are 6-10 above zero. I adjust it so it is just a pencil lead thick stream of warm water, furnace set on 62, additional heat going to convenience center, and grey tanks open. I never had any stinky slinky drain freeze up, but my black and grey gate valves took turns freezing up.