Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
(not)Ending RV Lifestyle(UPDATE)

Well folks, for you that have followed this last weeks fiasco with the roof on our 08 Big Sky roof damage here is the bottom line: National Interstate Insurance denied the claim because the say Keystone did not put the front cap back on properly the last time it was removed back in 2011. Keystone says "not our fault, cap was installed properly". The cost of a new roof is 7801.40 and we don't have it and won't even try to go that route. So as of today we are officially out of the RV lifestyle. Up until this point we believed Keystone was the way to go but that was our mistake. I will have a sheet of plywood screwed to the leading edge of the roof to keep the remaining rubber from blowing off for the trip home. We will will not be coming to the National Rally in Goshen again as we will no longer have a rig and I will have to get a hold of Jack and Dave to see who to send the Q stuff to as we will not be gong out that way either. It was a great ride while it lasted folks. We have acquired many friends through the club and at rallies. We will miss you all.. We have lost faith in National Interstate Insurance and our rig and Keystone in general as they ultimately are the ones that cost us 80K for the rig and all we added to it in the past 5 yrs. We had a lot of fun.. Dave and Betsy

FOR UPDATE REFER TO " RVing Lifestyle Redux"

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Bummer news, Dave. Wish it worked out differently.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Dave, Sorry you are having the roof problem. Have you checked with other companies for a roof. I had a roof installed on my 2001 and it was only $2300 complete and I do not think it has gone up that much in 9 years everywhere.
I see other on line places and I think the price you were quoted was high. I would shop around and see. My neighbor had a new roof installed at Camping World and all the awnings replaced last year in Savanna and it was only $8,000 for all.
I hope things work out for you and Betsy and if you give it up we wish you the best.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
So sorry to hear that news Dave & Betsy!!! I will continue praying for you that everything turns around and you end up with a new roof and our able to continue your full-timing journey!!! It is unfortunate that Keystone is not helping you out with this. Best of luck!!! No matter what stay in touch!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There is another option, just replace the front portion of the rubber roof and join the new section to the old with eternabond tape. This will allow for extra material to go beneath the front cap and then, just to be on the safe side, I would use eternabond on the edge of the cap and the roof as well. Makes me wonder if an rv salvage yard would have some usable roof material available on the cheap? Don't give up just because someone sitting behind a desk has rendered a decision that obviously is not the correct one.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I am with bingo. I would over lap the bad section with new material an even put a trim strip across the roof at that area. As long as you install the new piece on top of the old section so the wind did not catch it and tape, trim and caulk it should be water tight. Don't give up yet Dave...... I had to replace all the emission parts on my Dodge last year to the tune of $9,200 and I did not like that either. Either way you go I wish you luck.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Dave, I think CW would trade for it, as is. If that might help. I'm sure Eternabond would make a durable repair until something more permanent can be done. It will stick so tight that its stronger than the surrounding material . I have repaired two roofs with it and have had no problems to follow. You can buy it in rolls or squares. It will also stick to the trim moldings. You can't imagine it's stick ability or its durability.
Sending you a PM.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Such is life Dave and you gotta do what you gotta do.7801.04 would put us out of the RV lifestyle also. Some of the alternatives here might work but I have not a clue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think it's nice some of us are trying to fix exnavy diver's rig, but what about the frustration, justice and faith not happening here? There's also the expectation that none of this should be costing $1 more, so they decided to choose something else.

This is a great example of the insurance and warranties NOT at work because several parties are involved and pointing fingers always works best in that case especially when things fail further in time. The consumer always seems to get it in the end here and the cost and frustration means Keystone and National Interstate Insurance will keep the money saved for not doing the work and turn it into a bonus for the employees who saved them this money because they outlasted the consumer. It is wrong.

Not knowing much about the procedure here, I am pretty sure there was no time where a NII rep and a Keytone rep got together with Dave & Betsy to help because that effort costs money, too. After all, they already got their money in the price of the rig, the payouts of the premiums and the loss from the first fix of this issue.

In the meantime, they both lost only one customer while the rest of us continue on our ways. I hope Dave and Betsy continue to participate in the MOC since their experiences good and bad are worthwhile. Best of luck to these two good people in whatever their future brings them and I hope they stay in touch with especially those they met and befriended personally.

To Dave and Betsy, it was very nice to meet you per the forum. I wish that things get better for y'all and hope you continue to post.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Dave, ditto on the use of the Etrnabond as described in Bingo's post and I would add to it the use of Liquid EPDM coating. I think you may end up with a better roof? It's a bummer for sure dealing with this and that insurance won't step up. I would push the insurance issue further.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Don't blame ya gang that is a hard pill to swallow ,that would put me down for the count also I wished things had turned out better for you folks
Old 06-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Dave,
That price does seem high to me. Here I was quoted $100. a foot labor for roof repair. As it turned out Dicor furnished the material for me at no charge due to the problem I had. After talking to anyone I could find and reading up on how to install a roof, I decided I could do it. Enlisted the help of a carpenter and a brother and we replaced the entire roof in 2 1/2 days. The EPDM and glue, caulk and butyl tape furnished by Dicor would have cost around $500. if I had purchased it.
I think I remember seeing a photo of your roof and it showed the EPDM being pulled away from the lip of the front cap. When we removed my old EPDM it had about 18" of EPDM material pushed down inside the cap. I would think there would be a way to splice the roof and solve your problem. If your insurance company is correct, it should not be hard to verify if the previous work was incorrect.
Good luck.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Dave & Betsy, I don't know you, but have read everything you posted about all the troubles you've had and it sounds to me like it's time to get some attorneys involved. I don't care for some attorneys, but sometimes you just don't have any other choice. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
That really sucks! It seems like something could (should) be done.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
It is too bad that we as a MOC collective cannot do something to help Dave out! With all of the members there has got to be someone who knows someone who could go to bat for Dave. Do we know anyone that we could call at Keystone and let them know, as a group, that we are concerned? Is there someone who is, or knows an attorney, who is willing to donate their time to make some phone calls to get this situation corrected???? It seems to me we have to have some clout with Keystone with all of the rallies we have had in Goshen! What say the MOC Collective?
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Dave
So sorry to hear about all your troubles. I've got to believe there is a way to get this problem resolved.

Of course first is further dealing with the insurance company. Seems like they should cover this repair.

Second, the repair cost is less then 10% of the what you have invested in this RV. Seems like this is worth fixing, even if you need to only do a temporary fix until you can get funds for a complete job. I would do a Bingo suggested until I had funds for a complete fix.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
In 09, my complete new roof cost $5786 (in AL). Parts and shop supplies were $1654. Only real expensive part was the EPDM roof for $785. Roof Installation Kit was $212, most other stuff was around $100 or less. Got a new Slide Topper for $112 too. Rest was labor ($3788). One thing they added was a layer of 1/4" exterior luan plywood ($175.50)to provide a smooth base for the Dicor. Made my roof strong and walkable. How much heavier is my RV now? Adding a second AC from Coleman was a chore as their bolts weren't long enough by about that much. I too swear by Eternabond and have used their 6" wide roll liberally.
Hope this helps you or others.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Dave & Betsy,
We're so sorry. We've had troubles along the way as well, including needing a new roof (but luckily it was under warranty). Ours cost $5,000 ~ perhaps you could get another quote....

You've been so active in the MOC forum ~ it's a shame you'll no longer be one of us
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave instead of a piece of thin plywood over the roof area damaged, why not see if you can get a piece(or even two) of thin sheet metal and put it over the entire area from the front cap back to almost the front roof/attic vent with wood screws and grommets under the screw head, putting a blob of caulk under each screw and grommet about every four inches or even closer around the whole piece of metal. Eterna Bond tape on the front edge, rear edge and even around the side edges, then caulk the heck out of the screws and the edges and head for home! The thin sheet metal should hold up and the Eterna Bond tape should keep it water tight. Keep us informed on the outcome and the return trip home!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
I have read many articles in THE HIGHWAY where they write letters to companies on behalf of RV owners in hopes of companies "doing the right thing". I would try that before totally giving up. If that didn't work, AND if remotely interested in staying in the RV world, I would search around for other prices. From experience, even in a small area where I live, I found 3 different vendors/RV repair facilities with large differences of price to repair/install a new roof. I finally got it done (3 years ago) for $3,000 and that also included some structure repair, new shower skylight and a new awning spring. Other prices, just for the roof, ranged upwards of $5,000. I did make the deal with the understanding I was not in a major hurry to get the RV back. This allowed the shop to work on my RV in their "down time" and it saved me money. They had my RV for 3 weeks.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote