Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Advice for first time Montana Owner

We are super excited about our new baby coming home on Monday...a brand new 2013 Montana 3100RL. We have never owned a Montana before and are somewhat new to RVing (only 10mo in our last rig). We dry camped, boondocked and did about 20 nights in our first rig.

Now we have all kinds of new things to learn, for example:
How to hook up a fifth wheel
How to back up a fifth wheel
How in the world does that 'magical' auto-leveling system work

So I thought we should ask the experts...'What was the one thing you wish someone had told you about when you took your rig out for the first time?'

We leave for Yellowstone on Wednesday and won't have much time for a huge learning curve. We appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks!

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Since it's a 2013 I am assuming you are buying it from a dealer. When you pick it up they should do a PDI with you. During this they should show you how to work everything on your rig from the furnace to the jacks to how to hook up and how to flush the toilet. You will want them to fill all your tanks from fresh to waste. This is to verify the plumbing is good and to show you how to dump. Make sure you pump water thru on city and on board pump to check the fresh water plumbing. You will want to make them run all appliances including the fantastic fan to the stove hood fan. Don't let them just tell you how it works, make them make it work. You would not believe how many things don't function on brand new rigs from the factory. Do not get discouaged if you have stuff that needs fixed or replaced. Keystone does not have the best quality control but they are very good at taking care of their customers and making stuff right. Take along pen and paper to make notes and to mark down stuff that needs attention. My wife usually has a small note book when we buy a rig. But also you will have a large binder with all the instructions to all the appliances. Sometimes it's nicer to buy a used rig cause most stuff has already been taken care of lol lol Don't worry it will all be fine and you will have years of enjoyment from your rig..now go RVing
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
To this day I have problems with the TV. I cuss it everytime we set up in a new location. Remember you can use the 6 point leveling in the manual mode if you have to.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Go to the home page of this forum and download the PDI page. This will give you somewhere to start. Ask a lot of questions. On backing up, grab the bottom of the steering wheel and if you want the rear of the trailer to go left, turn the wheel left.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If possible, fill the fresh water tank, get the salesman to run power to you and spend the night at the RV dealership and use/try out every feature. The next morning, any questions or issues you discover can be resolved on the spot.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
At least in the beginning you're going to need a good checklist to make sure you don't forget something important so folks here and on another forum helped me develop the one I use and it's on Excel so you can change it to fit your needs (you'll probably not need the line "catch the cats"). If you would like a copy email me at dqdick10432@Yahoo.com. When you first pull into a campground many times folks will come up to introduce themselves. That's nice, but just tell them you're new and will meet them once you get set up. Being interrupted is the best way to forget something important (many of us have learned this the hard way). Even now, Joyce and I will tell folks that. Use cell phones or walkie talkie's when you back up to communicate. You'll have the usual problems of my left and your left, but keep at it and you'll get it down. Before you even try to back in anywhere, take the rig to an empty area of a shopping center or a closed box store and practice backing where you have some lines on the ground or borrow some cones from someone. This will help a lot. Most of all, make a deal before hand that this is not the end of the world and each set up is a learning experience. Don't get mad at each other. It's not a test and if you make sure you don't travel too far each day, you will have plenty of time. Yes, you may and will see folks making it look easy and someday you will also. We all started where you are to get here.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:01 AM   #7
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
WOW! I woke up to some GREAT information! I will definitely do the PDI but I never thought to have them hook it up to water to test the plumbing. I also never thought to sleep in their parking lot. My son will LOVE that! I didn't even know their was a manual leveling mode! Good to know that the backing-up part isn't too different from doing it with our travel trailer.

We really appreciate all of the great information! Keep it coming! I am going to be emailing for the 'Catch the Cat' checklist except I will change ours to read 'Catch the Dogs'!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
One thing on the auto level mode....make sure that your tow vehicle is not under the front of the unit. You have come to the right place for help and advice. We are relatively new also and this forum has been a great source of knowledge.

We too are headed to Yellowstone on Friday for two weeks at Grizzly RV Park. This is a nice place to stay and YNP is fantastic.

Good luck and have fun.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Petmoose I have to say that I love your user name! We live in Billings Montana so we frequent Yellowstone regularly and LOVE it. We are staying at Fishing Bridge this time. I have heard that Grizzly RV Park is wonderful so we will try that in the future. Thanks for the info on the Auto Leveling mode....I don't even want to know what happens if your tow vehicle is in the way when it starts. I will definitely add that to the checklist.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
The big difference I noticed from pulling a travel trailer and going to a 5th wheeel was, it tows much better. Also you will notice that when backing it, it will not start to turn as quickly as the travel trailer. Some pratice and not a problem. Also big thing, if your new trailer is big that the older trailer, adjust your brake controller, more weight needs more time to stop. The dealer should show you how to hook up the 5th wheel. It would be helpful to make yourself a take off and landing checklist. Get into a routine for breaking camp. If you get sidetracked, which can happen, at the end always do another walk around to make sure everything, is up, in, stowed and hooked up. The first time you forget the double check the hitch you will know, as it may end up on your truck bed. There is alot of good infomation on the web site and good people to help you out. Never be afraid to ask.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Just take your time, don't over steer when backing up. Only takes a little to start the Montana turning, and it will quickly increase to the point that the truck can't follow.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I was wondering how towing a FW was going to be different compared to a TT. Sounds like it is easier but different. When we got our TT last October we spent an hour or so in a huge parking lot and practiced. I see another hour or so in a huge parking lot in our new future. At least we won't look like idiots when we get to the campsite. We need to be pretty proficient at backing before our trip to Yellowstone because I hear at Fishing Bridge the campsites are tight!

Thanks again! We are absorbing all of this good advice! Please keep it coming.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
ALSAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12193
Please remember your monty is TALLER than your truck look out for low things ( trees ,fuel station canopys ,etc...)I know this to be true as a tree branch did $ 4,000 plus damage to my last 5ver
ALSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Oh boy...I am so sorry to hear about the $4000 worth of damage! That would be so disheartening! I am glad you pointed out the height. I just remembered I need to check for low clearance on the way to Yellowstone. Our old trailer wasn't that tall.

Thanks for the reminder! Much appreciated!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am just ending 5+ years of full timing. If you can find a long timer near you, buy them dinner and have a long evening with a give and take conversation about fifth wheeling. Safety is priority number one. Torquing wheel lugs, checking tire pressures, double checking the hitch closure, checking your lights on the trailer are just a few of the common sense checks to make before you pull out for a day of travel. Use a sequential check list to hook up and set up. I have a separate check list for the level up system. If check list are good for pilots and astronauts they will be helpful to you. I recommend adding a tire pressure monitoring system such as Pressure Pro.

I pulled my first Big Sky with a 2002 F250. The weight gave me a few scary moments on quick stop situations. Just leave extra room in front of you. From your post, you sound like a young family. Youth is often impatient to "get there". Resist that mentality. Take shorter drives and stay fresh when driving. I have a 300 mile or 3:00PM rule. Stop at which ever one comes first.

Enjoy your new rig. Happy RVing..............
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’m not certain but I don’t think this has been mentioned. Swing out and make wide turns. They don’t pull the same as a bumper trailer. They pull better but the wheels don’t follow as close as what a bumper pull does.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Make sure you have the dealer show you where ALL the dump valves are for your waste tanks. Many have the galley dump under or between the tires and were never told this, or forgot it, and have the galley tank back up......Maybe not an issue on the newer models but worthy of asking the question anyway. Also, ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK YOUR LOCKING MECHANISM ON YOUR HITCH. However, the best advice I can give is to slow down, smell the roses, and have a great time.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #18
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I am so glad I posted this question because I am getting some great information. Thanks Stiles_Watson for the idea to take a fulltimer out to dinner! That is a great idea! Anyone near the Billings, MT area that would like to mentor a newbie??? Dinners on us! Why do you have a separate checklist for the level up system? I have never used the leveling system. They are going over it today with us and I plan on asking a lot of questions. I feel bad for the poor service guy who gets us as a walk-through! You also made some goodpoints about the checklists and taking it slow. I LOVE the idea 300 or 3PM!

Thanks Bill-n-Donna for the clarification that they pull easier than a TT but don't follow the same. That would definitely be a surprise if we cut a turn a little too close. There is one turn near our house where we turn onto a road that is a little narrower and their are ditches on both sides. We cannot make that turn if there is someone in the oncoming lane because we can't swing wide enough to not drop off into the ditch. So I am really glad to know the info about them not following as well. We will take it even slower.

There is a galley dump?! That would be a new thing to us. Thanks exav8tr for that nugget of wisdom! I have added that to our questions for the walk-through!

The wealth of knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I love how all of you are so willing to help your fellowman through the learning curves! Keep the wisdom coming. We are learning a lot and we haven't even picked up our RV yet! WooHoo!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #19
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Patience! That is the best advice I have for you. Use a checklist and make sure you always check inside to assure that nothing has shifted or opened "before" opening slides. It's nice to have the remote, but not always a good idea. Same with bringing slides in - if you are inside and they hit anything you can stop before any damage. Good Luck and enjoy your new Montana - remember to expect to visit your dealer a few times to fix little things that go wrong......
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

There is a galley dump?! That would be a new thing to us.
Dealer didn't know about it on our 2010. First trip we had galley water dumping on the ground until I saw the lever. If the slides are open, it is hard to see and reach, but pretty easy with the slide in to reach.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote