Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Some observations about the new King Ranch

From what I can determine, the Ford TPMS only indicates that a tire is below the set pressure by 7%, but it does not tell you which tire. Other sensors can't be added to the system. This means I will certainly carry my Pressure Pro System over to the new truck.

Driving the new truck is a positive experience. There is no acceleration lag. Acceleration is quicker without putting your foot into it. At 60 mph, the rpm is around 1500 with the 3:55 rear end rather than 2000 with the old 4:33 rear end. I did goose it once and it jumped to 90 mph.

The blue tooth handles both my phone and Dianna's and would handle up to 6 more, but I can't imagine why. The turn indicator works differently which takes some getting used to.

I am not sure what I think about the remote start. I is kind of eerie.
I suppose it might be useful on a hot day with hot seats, especially since the seats are cooled as well as heated in the winter. Egad.

The back up camera built into the tailgate is a great little addition. Being able to see the whole field behind you adds confidence when backing. There are sooo many blind spots on these big trucks.

There was no problems with swapping the Timbrens over. They were much easier to get to on a SRW. The gap was the same. The unloaded ride is a bit softer, but it is still a truck.

I can see there will be a arduous learning curve to understanding the computer. There is way too much information to be absorbed. I am not a technology novice, but my head is spinning from trying to get it absorbed. The salesman was glad to have me for a customer because I challenged his knowledge and understanding with questions. He said, "Next time I will know."

The seats are now fully electric including the tilt and lumbar support. Rear passengers will appreciate the ability to direct air flow with the rear A/C vents.

All in all, the King ranch is a powerful Tow vehicle, and a very comfortable ride with many bells and whistles to keep you challenged.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I know you will get it figured out in time.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Things we did not like when we test drove the new 350 included the "lost" cargo tray under the back seat has been replaced with a locking storage box. I'm sure some will like the box, but we much prefer the fold out deck. Also of note is the coat hooks are now mounted on the back wall over the back window. We could not use a clothes bar suspended between the two hooks to aid in getting clothes to the storage area to load/unload for a trip.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We picked up some tomato plants and potting soil today. Flipped up the passenger side back seat and lock it open, then placed the plants and soil in the lock box. It was a nice secure place to haul something that might spill. Would have been a small place to clean up if it had. It held the plants and soil securely. It is about the right size for a crock pot.

I think I used the rack on my 2008 about two times in 3-1/2 years of ownership.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Stiles, did you notice the reduced headroom in your new 2011? I test drove one a few weeks ago and found that my head hits the ceiling when I had my sunglasses on top of it. My current 2010 has enough headroom that I can wear both my ball cap or cowboy hat. Enjoy your new truck! I cant wait to see photos.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

We picked up some tomato plants and potting soil today. Flipped up the passenger side back seat and lock it open, then placed the plants and soil in the lock box. It was a nice secure place to haul something that might spill. Would have been a small place to clean up if it had. It held the plants and soil securely. It is about the right size for a crock pot.

I think I used the rack on my 2008 about two times in 3-1/2 years of ownership.
With us, we use the platform every time we take the dog with us. She is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, about 70 lbs. We flip out the deck, put her dog bed on it, and she is at the perfect height and on a stable platform. Put her on the seat and it is too high for jumping in and out and too narrow for her long term comfort. Wish they would make the platform or the lock box an option rather than one size fits all.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I enjoyed my 2005 King Ranch, F350, Dually, LB.

I had the security system installed and it had a remote start. Summer time was great as you could have the AC running. I only used in in the winter time when I had already had it warmed up. It was set to start after 15 seconds on the autostart to give the glow plugs time to warm up.

How does the 2011 do in both environments (cold/hot)?

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yes, there is less headroom. There would be a little more if the useless moon roof was not there. Side airbags has also contributed to less head room. The leather seats are just a bit down the ladder from the leather used in the 2008. I don't care for the rear mounted coat rack either. But none of that was a deal killer. There is so much more that is right about this truck.

The remote start delays until the glow plug is ready before initiating the start. The run time can be set to short or long times before automatic shut off.

I have been busy all afternoon reading manuals: 450 page Owner's manual, 100 page Powerstroke manual, and a 200 page Navigation System manual.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #9
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Stiles did you get a dually or a SRW? If its a dually are you sure about the 3.55 rear end?...I see it now in your other post... SRW.

So what made you move away from the Dually?

If you need any help with the computer stuff give me a call.

Later,
Ren
Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Stiles: Congrats on the new truck. Looking at one at the local Ford dealer. Question I have though -- did you get the trailer prep (pucks in bed and the trailer light connector on the driver side, inside the bed near the rear of the bed? The one the dealer here currently has does not have that prep and it makes me wonder how difficult it would be to add it aftermarket.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As full timers, our truck is our only vehicle. We are beginning to move away from the heavy traveling that we have enjoyed for the past 4 years. Therefore, I will not be towing as much. We went to a SRW because that would allow us to have increased mileage with the 3:55 RE when not towing which we expect to be our larger usage. Besides the SWR is a bit easier to park. Even if I stop RVing, I will want a pickup.

This off-the-lot unit did not have the factory hitch prep. I have a B&W companion which I moved over to the new TV. The dealer had a contractor who does the spray in bed liners, and installs the B&W Turnover Ball, under the bed hitch. All I have to do is secure my B&W Companion Hitch into the removable ball socket and I am back in business. I must say that both were very professionally done.

The in-the-bed pigtail receiver was included with the hitch installation.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Stiles
Do you have the 20 inch wheels or the standard 18 inch wheels and what difference do you notice in towing?
Thanks Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Haven't towed as of yet, but do have the 20" wheels. It took me a day or two to get used to the subtle change in the steering. I don't know whether it was the 20" wheels or the Michelin tires. I have heard or read that the Michelin tires seem to wander a bit.

The problem was severe enough that my wife made comments about it. On the last couple of trips things seemed to have leveled out. Maybe I have adjusted to the minor differences between the old and new vehicles.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Moonroof means less head room. I haven't really noticed a difference in head room from my 2010 to the 2011. I'm about 6'5" so head room is something I pay attention to.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I understand. I am 6'2", but with short legs and a long trunk. I might have been 6'5" if my legs matched my trunk. Head clearance makes a difference. You would just have to try it out to see. I don't wear a hat in any vehicle.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I just traded in my 06 King Ranch for a 2011 King Ranch. Actually my old truck had Michellins and so does the new one. I really haven't noticed a problem, in fact I believe the new one drives better than the old. My wife really likes the new one better. It is much quieter and the saddle leather seats in the old truck hurt the back of her legs. She also believes the new truck rides better. One thing I have noticed is the recommended tire pressure for the 20s is 65# whereas the recommended pressure for the 18s on the old truck was 80#. We use a Pullrite hitch that attaches to bed rails. I have a set of the custom fit Reese bed rails ordered and a Reese wiring kit for the fifth wheel hookup. It is basically plug and play. I will simply have to drill a hole in the side of the bed to mount it. I bought a 250 and will add Timbrens like I had on the old truck. I really like the lockable storage under the back seat. There actually is a removable partition in it that turns it into a single much longer box. I pulled the partition out. I expect the ladies will love that box. How many times has your wife wanted to leave her purse in the truck without getting it stolen? I can't believe all the great improvements they have made since 06. I'm in hog heaven.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote