Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
B&W Companion Hitch

Perhaps many of you already knew this, but I just learned yesterday that B&W has developed an adapter to allow the Companion Hitch to attach to the Ford factory installed under-the-bed hitch receiver. The price is around $150.00. That is good news to me if I should decide to trade. I would be able seamlessly transfer my hitch to the new Ford. I am thinking.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
After 2 consecutive engine failures in my last Ford I changed to Dodge. Think hard before you buy a Ford. In 125K miles we had to replace the oil cooler twice (warranty), fuel control module (Non-warranty $740), an engine (non-warranty...split the cost with the dealer at $8,000). The second engine lost 7 of 8 injectors with 52K miles. We had the dealer replace the 2 worst ones (non-warranty $1585) so that the engine wasn't smoking, drove across the street to a Dodge dealer and picked up a beautiful Dodge Big Horn, 3500, with all the bells and whistles we like.

Been happy campers since.

Think hard before you buy. We used to be a staunch Ford family but the continuous problems we had left a bad taste in our mouths.

Good luck to you.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congrats, I hope your Dodge serves you well. I don't go in for brand bashing. I don't normally get into the whole truck comparison discussion.

I have owned dodge trucks in the past. I don't care for their trucks. If they suit your fancy, that's great. Sorry that Ford didn't work for you. There have been disappointments for owners of all brands along with many successes. Mechanical failures of any particular truck doesn't mean that all of the trucks of that brand or model year are problematic.

This thread was intended to share information about the B&W hitch, not be a discussion about trucks.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Dui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10850
What does the adapter look like?
Dui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:51 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dui, I posted a retraction of this erroneous information. Perhaps it would be best if I were to delete the post entirely. The receiver for the Ford factory is round and the B&W Turnover Ball receiver is square. The post from the Companion Hitch is square to fit the B&W turnover Ball receiver. Therefore, if you wish to buy a new Ford and want the B&W hitch, don't get the factory installed system Ford offers. Rather install or have installed the B&W Turnover Ball kit for the 2011 Fords.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Stiles is right on. I have had the B&W companion in both a Ford 350 dually and a Dodge 3500 dually. Great system and I can go from loaded bed (hitch installed) to clean bed (hitch removed and no rails showing) in just about 10 minutes.

Also, B&W customer service has always been great.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote