Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
TV on 12 volt!!!

Hey! Last night we had an electrical storm and lost power so relied on the 12 volt system. We played cards for a while then went to bed. While laying in bed I noticed the red light was on our bedroom flatscreen. Son of a gun - we found this TV works on the 12 volt system. We had no idea.

We are still learning things about our 2009 3455SA! This was a good thing.

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hee! Hee!
That is what the inverter does. When you disconnect the umbilical cord to the power box, check to see that the red light goes off. If it doesn't, unplug it or you will drain the batteries down. I'm not sure if your model has a switch for turning the inverter on or off. Also, depending on the television's draw of current will determine how long the batteries will last.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
The new 12volt tv is actually a 12 volt appliance. It plugs in to a socket like a lighter. This tv can run on the lighter plug in the truck without the use of an inverter.
Phyllen, did the dealership tell you that you can take that bedroom tv and use it in the outside compartment doorside? We have already watched some NASCAR events out side!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Emmel - you know, I think the dealer did tell us that. However, we had just purchased a flatscreen for the Cedar Creek we traded in. We took that TV and put in the basement of the Montana and left an older TV in the Cedar Creek. We, too, enjoy sitting outside and watching programs.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Three years ago, 2PM (pre-Montana), we bought an Insignia LCD TV with DVD player mounted in the back from Best Buy. Its native power requirement is 12VDC and it comes with an adapter for 120VAC. I made an adapter to the guitar plug that Fleetwood uses for interior 12V on their popups and we could watch movies lying in bed. It was wonderful. Then I had to beef up the battery system, but that's another story.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Yup. Kathy and Dave - we are doing the same. Beefing up the battery system. Got a 2nd one last night.

Phyllis
Old 08-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Y'all are reminding me of some old time camping back in the '70's. They made 12 volt televistions then, black and white, Philco, and I still have it somewhere around the house. I did not know they had newer flat screen 12 volts. Hmmm! I'll need to look into those.

I had a 1972 Chevy Van equipped by Travco - pop up roof, 2 burner stove, sink, port-a-potty and gas furnace. No air conditioning, not even dash air. My friend and family had a Pop-up tag-along. We arrived at the campground late one afternoon and as dusk started to settle in, I had my fishing pole out, casting the line into the trees above. Everyone looked a little bewildered. The Dallas Cowboys (no coments plese) were playing and we were avid fans. Game time came around and we were sitting there with a perfect picture. Neighbors were slapping there televisions adjusting the rabit ears and generally saying naughty things under there breath. The next morning they could se a television antenna about 20-30 feet up in a tree, sitting there as pretty as you please. I used the fishing weight to haul up a rope to haul up the antenna. With a fishing line on the front of the antenna I could rotate it for the best picture.

Hey! Worked for us.

Guess I'm going to have to get another 12 volt TV and an antenna. Then go tree fishing.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote