Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Carter

M.O.C. #7979
Send a message via AIM to Carter
TV - Cable / Satelite

My 07 Monty has some type of power booster / modulator circuit board in the closet that has DC power to it and 5 coaxal cables outlets. I have traced the cables and 3 go to the living TV area, 1 to the bed TV, 1 to the anntana, 1 to the cable/satelite connection on the outside. Problem is that the bed TV is very clear, but the living TV is very fuzzy. I ran an exterior coax straight from the board outlet, in the closet, to the living tv and it is much clearer, but not great. Can anyone help me solve this issue or suggest an alternative recommendation? If I go with a satelite, must I attempt to pull new coax? Thanks,

Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
When using cable/satellite do not turn on the booster. When using the aerial turn on the booster.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Also, check the F-connectors. On ours, 3 were not crimped properly, causing a poor TV signal. Just take each connector and try to easily pull it from the cable. If it moves or worse, comes off, you need to replace it.

Good luck,
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
If you are using the antenna w/booster for reception and the LR TV is fuzzy, I would take the wall plates off and check the coax fittings. They use the cheapest and easiest fittings they can find. Compression fittings are the best, but the crimp fittings will work OK when installed properly. The fitting behind our outside cable entrance was one of the twist-on fittings and was loose.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
As slickwillie mentioned the F-connector (terminations on cable) in my 09 3605rl in bedroom, neither end of the cable to the bdrm tv were crimped. I ended up fishing a new facotry cable through the hole in closet wall to the TV and replacing the original cable altogether, instead of trying to repair it.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Are these 5 coaxial connections not labled or ducumented in anything supplied by Montana? On our late 2006 3400RL we had trouble figuring out how to hook up the Satelite and reciever becaue no included documents covered this area either. Thanks to fellow MOC members additional info was provided which really helped. Our external coaxial input first goes to a connection behind the TV and then back to the TV in the bedroom. Vely stlange.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Another one here who had to replace the coax cable in the bedroom due to bad connectors.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same here in our 06. Terrible quality.Replaced everything. They had actually stapled through the cable into the wall.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hi Carter,
I see you were having this problem way back in December. Did you ever get it fixed? If not I would try the following:
You KNOW three things. 1. your bedroom TV is good. 2. Your signal from the amplifier/splitter box to the bedroom TV is good. 3. Your short bedroom coax is good.
I would use that KNOWN good signal to test with. First replace the short bedroom coax with your long test coax. Still have a great picture in the bedroom TV? This proves your test coax & connectors are good. Second, disconnect the test coax from the bedroom TV and connect it to the living room TV. If Great like in the bedroom, the trouble is in the permanent coax or it's connectors. If the picture is crummy, the trouble is in the living room TV. Concerning the permanent coax. If you suspect it is bad, use a magnifying glass and verify the center copper conductor has NOTHING touching it at BOTH ends. Testing the COAX: If you don't know how to use an ohm meter find someone who does. Take the ohm meter and set to Rx10,000. measure from the center conductor of the coax to the metal shield of the F connector. On a digital meter the reading should say ZERO. On an analog ohm meter the needle should be ALL the way to the left or Infinity. If you don't have these readings there is a physical problem with the coax. Generally coax aren't defective. They do get damaged by getting a nail or staple through the coax or crushed between studs etc. Hope this helped. Let us know how you are progressing.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
We had poor reception on the livingroom TV in our 09 when operating on the park cable system. An AV tech in our park told us that even when the antenna amp is turned off a signal from the antenna comes thrugh and degrades the signal from the cable as the two systems are interconnected. He was right. Also he feels that the method of connecting the two systems, cable and antenna, prevents either from operating at 100%. This connection is inside the wall in our unit and my solution was to disconnect the cable at the convenience center and then run a cable directly to the living room TV through an AB switch (with a splitter to the FM receiver). The AB switch allows me to connect with the antenna when needed. The picture quality on cable has improved 1000%. Sorry if this sounds complicated,it is not. Email me if you need a diagram.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Thanks for asking this question Carter!!!!!!!!! If I hook up to the outside connection from the CG connection i get no signal. I have to connect directly from the outside to the TV.
So please keep the troubleshooting ideas coming, or the fixes and workarounds used.

I found one thing I've never seen before. The coax insulation was stripped to expose the braided wire. On top of the braided wire was a VERY small transistor???? The whole thing was about 1/2 inch long.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote