Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
FEMA Trailers

Here is a interesting article on FEMA trailers stored in Louisiana. I was under the impression airing them out would eliminate the formaldehyde dangers, but they are going to scrap them. If I had known they needed storage area, I would have bought some land and leased it to them at that price! Politics you suppose?

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I had read an article a while back that the people that they were intended to help did not like the smell. And it was not Hotel that was cleaned for them at no cost rather than take a Fema trailer and get a RV park space.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My question, at the risk of sounding sarcastic is, how were those FEMA trailers built different that they are full of formaldehyde and to dangerous to live it..BUT..ours are not. Was it a plot by the Government to poison those folks???. How come we can Air ours out and be OK.. but FEMA (the government) says the FEMA trailers can not???? I hate it when I ask questions////????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, I didn't phrase it as a question, but you said exactly what was on my mind. I think I want to know more. Perhaps with the action against Victoria's Secret, we will learn more about formaldehyde. I did see a Doc on TV say it was used to keep mildew from forming. That was news to me.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will... Was not questioning you...Was questioning FEMA. Why are the rules different??? Dangerous is dangerous no matter who you are...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Will... Was not questioning you...Was questioning FEMA. Why are the rules different??? Dangerous is dangerous no matter who you are...
Full agreement. Inquiring minds want to know more. If my RV is still emitting formaldehyde fumes, I want to know. I bought the dang thing to come to the coast for health reasons.(respiratory) Did I jump out of the pot into the fire?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Will, I have asthma and with the exception of when we first got our Monty I breath fine in it. I think the real issue is one of entitlement not health. If people are offered a nice hotel with cleaning service or a "trailer" which do you think they would go for? hmmmmmm...let me think?
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 AM   #8
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
This is happening to people he in Cedar Rapids right now. As you know we had bad floods this summer and they moved in FEMA trailers. These are not camping trailers but 14x60-80 feet long. If you look at the web site kgan.com and read about what is happening here. They were passed with the results before shipped but now have levels of formaldehyde that are unsafe. These were built in 05 and sat for 3 years in Hope AR. It cost us the taxpayers 5000+ dollars to transport and now have to be sent back at the same money and guess who pays. KGAN has done quite a study on this problem.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Reading this thread 3 days after buying my Monty makes me nervous...
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blamb

Reading this thread 3 days after buying my Monty makes me nervous...
Yep, after reading the article Hazmic linked to, it makes me want to test ours. Makes me wonder if this stuff just keeps oozing out when the unit gets hot.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Did some research at the University where I work when this first came out -- was really surprised at just how pervasive formaldehyde is in the housing industry - not just trailers but stick built as well. It is in the carpeting, draperies, wall coverings, glues that hold countertops down, you name it and the compound is in (or was used in the manufacture of) it. A lot of it industry manufacturers have quit using it as much, but it is still used a lot.

Now, that said, the 'cure' is airing out the home whether it is a grounded house or one on wheels. The problem though is that we have become reluctant to have our windows open and letting the air flow thru -- notice I didn't say 'fresh air'. Some of it is outdoor pollution, some noise pollution, and some of it is just plain ole privacy issues. Whatever the cause, we (and I am one of the we) have become reliant on air conditioning -- but I'm getting off topic.

The bottom line is that if the unit is aired out and allowed to breath, the levels of formaldehyde will stay in check. And Yes, they do leach out for years after construction -- but according to the literature I've read, the 1st few months after being built are definitely the worse.

Does this solve the issue -- definitely not; but neither does having us tax payers pay and then pay again to purchase, move, store, and then move again. Something has to give!! Off my soapbox.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I paid good money for my travel trailer and while I did not like the smell I knew it was temporary. But the sense of entitlement is so bad that a FREE trailer is not good enough and Airing it out is too much trouble. And yes I would agree there should be something not quite so hazardous for building houses mobile or stick.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote