Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Stiles ..We have been using Power service Diesel Kleen. Our dealers in Ohio and Florida) both recommended the booster and when pressed said that the power service was ok as was any additive that was labeled ULSD approved...however that for the Cetane booster ..power service rates oK on Cetance rating but lacks in lubricity.. Don't know how the Ford product rates in lubricity but will find out.....so much to learn

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #22
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Several month ago I sent an email to Cummins asking them if I needed to add anything to this new diesel fuel.
Their reply was NO. I did post their complete reply.

One point that might need consideration: If the fuel you are buying as already been treated and meets all requirements adding more lubricity and ......would this then raise the question "is too much also not good for the engine"

(can't get the picture of my rig to show up can anyone help) Thanks

Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #23
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks Rich Looks like it's good-by to Stanadyne Performance Formula hello to Schaeffer 2000. Schaeffer's has the three things I'm looking for lubricity, anti-gel and cetane improver!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #24
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Rich said"so much to learn"and I would like to ask and know"who's right"? I personally think no one knows for sure.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The test report was very informative to me but also raised more questions.There are still unknowns...We don't know if the lubricate gets into the fuel each one of use uses. We don't know if the cetane is added to the fuel we use. Checks of some stations in this area by the Ford dealer showed lower than acceptable cetane levels but they did not check for lubricity. we paid a great deal of money for this Diesel truck..are we throwing money away by useing the additive? To many unknowns. Sure it is covered by the Ford warranty but who wants to have their truck broke down 1 or 2K miles from home for who knows how long.We need to do everythibg we can do to keep the truck pulling the Montana all over the country trouble free..Both Ford dealers that we deal with said use a good additive..it won't hurt..now the question is ...which is the good additive. Mickey hit the nail on the head...No one knows for sure..yet..Can we take the chance while they are finding out???
My choice is to use a good aditive..as soon as I can determine which one that is. We been using PS Diesel Kleen..it is not in the top 9 but it is # 10 and on the positive side for lubricity.....Is that good enough????? so much to learn.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #26
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Try this site it may help www.aspalliance.org
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Very good oldturbo..another piece of the puzzle comes together
Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #28
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I do not purchaase my diesel fuel at Wal-Mart and I would not purchase anything from them to put in my fuel tank as they try to get the cheapest things they can find to sell in their stores. Flying J handles a product for fuel but I do not have the name at this time. I beleive the product is made on the east coast and it comes in a clear bottle with a yellow label.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #29
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
It looks like I will stay with product #7, It reported a good micron improvement, and the price is right. I get it at Wally World in the gallon container and I use about 8 to 12 ounces per fillup. Cost is about 8 cents per ounce. In another study it was also one of the few additives that have the same btu rating as diesel. I add it to help lube the vp44 injection pump. As noted in the test you should not use 2 cycle oil in a truck newer than 06.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #30
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
TLightning, I agree with you! Earlier this week when the truck was in getting serviced, I asked if there was anything I should be adding to the fuel in this sub zero weather. He said no so, I'm not going to.

We recently had wind chill factors down to 20 some degrees below zero. All I did was plug in the block heater when I get home from work. The next morning, it starts and runs just great. She hasn't missed a stroke all winter.

My question is, with the cost of diesel fuel the way it is now, why on God's green earth would you want to increase the cost of it by adding ingrediants that are already in the fuel?
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:49 AM   #31
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I work for a large interstate trucking company, we have over 100 units sitting here in the Indy facility and we have Cummins, Internationals, Freightliners, Volvos and a few Fords and we do not put any additive in our fuel other than in the winter we add some anti-gel stuff for trucks in the northern climes. You would think with that kind of investment someone would say yes we can afford a few ounces of additive but we find we wear the trucks out before we wear the engines out --- go figure.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:15 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can buy PS diesel Kleen in many places besides Wally world..including Flying J and Pilot.You would think that buying diesel at Wally world would be ok due to the high turn over of fuel . We are also told that diesel fuel has a shelf life of 30 days???

Indy roadrunner,,how many of those 100 trucks are 08's with the new emmission standards. We also use no additives in our school busses other than the anti gell and I posted a long time ago we noted, by our fuel logs, a 2 mpg decrese in MPG when we had no choice but to use ULSD fuel.

Like I say..so much to learn and to seperate fact from fiction and old wives tales/
Old 02-02-2008, 05:03 AM   #33
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Thanks for the info Richfaa. I am highly opposed to additives as this report shows why. Products on the counter rely on MARKETING for sales and use HYPE to push them. Profit is their motive. Not to say there is no good additives. I guess the message here is be informed. Even I was surprised how badly some of the name products did. As in oil buy quality. I use caution shopping for the CHEAPEST fuel for these reasons. It is a shame that Marketers use TRUSTED names and misinformation to sell their products. This appears to be a pretty solid and unbiased test. When a company tests their own product for the purpose of marketing, they are going to set the test parameters that will benefit their product and harm the competitors, these tests may not reflect reality. In this thread someone mentioned a magazine test. I read an article once that made some sense. A magazine is unlikely to give a unfavorable test result to a large advertiser with big money.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #34
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Just had a talk with a Schaeffer dealer I wanted to buy Diesel Treat 2000. I had the report from The Diesel Place, he was very familiar with it. I asked about the jobbers in my area if they were adding a treatment to diesel, he said NO that Marathon fernery where they get there diesel from had posted that the diesel they produce did not need added lubricity. The stations around here including Marathon stations have posted the ULSD on there pumps. This Schaeffee dealer was of course is trying to sell the jobbers his additives. There are two pipeline where the jobbers also are getting fuel they are needing to add a additives. The Schaeffer dealer also tried to sell his product to them, but was turned down and said it was a pennies game, they are all trying to save a penny and buying the cheapest additive. If it's a pennies game are the jobbers adding the right amounts or any at all to there fuel, all I know its a pennies game?
I feel it's like the wolf watching over the sheep herd for a dealer or manufacture to say you don't need additives, they may just be wanting to service or sell us another truck when it dies.
The additives I did buy from this dealer cost me $5.00 and it treats 5 tanks of fuel, so the cost to me is $1.00 thats 2 cents a gallon. I'll be adding lubricity to my tank and reaping the benefit of the MPG gain and other for now unseen benefits!
Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #35
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Rich we have a mixture of older and 08's with the new DPF's (We call the after burners)and I just said we have over a 100 trucks here in Indy, my company is nation wide and our number of trucks is in the thousands. We buy bulk fuel from BP for our larger shops and the smaller facilities use what ever we have a contract with. But I can tell you with certainity that we do not use additives and our R&D department ran test on the USLD even before it was available and the lubricity passed all the test.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #36
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I think for as long as humans have prowled this earth there has been a market for snake oil. I don't see that demand ending anytime soon. My 08 runs in all kinds of weather with only the additives put there by the oil company and it runs without any problem whatsoever. As someone noted, the truck will wear out before the engine does.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #37
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I think additives are a personnal choice. As the indyroadrunner says the company I work for has 50 plus trucks and 10 or 12 personnal and company vehicles fueling at the yard. We use no additives in our fuel and have not had any problems with the trucks. I personally am confused why some of you would put so much faith in what the dealer says and now some guy does a test and all of a sudden he is the mastermind for additives. I wonder what his qualifications were especially if it showed up in consumers reports. What happened to what the dealers said? Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:20 AM   #38
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I suspected as much. Most aftermarket additives are not worth the time, effort, nor money.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:30 AM   #39
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #40
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
The report that Rich as shown shows the wear that will happen if the fuel me use is not treated with a additive that we supply as a vehicle owner or the jobber adds to the fuel we burn in your trucks. The HFRR is a tool that shows the wear the engine suffers with out an additive added to the diesel. With the US standard NO GREATER THAN 520 MICRONS HFRR and Engine Manufacturers Association standard of 460 microns. Now untreated fuel yields 636 micron HFRR wear score. If I add a cost of 2 cents a gallon I can make sure, my lets say $5000.00 Duramax motor is protected. It may be snake oil but the lab does show less wear with the additves. It all depends on where each of your comfort levels lie?