Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Have you been locked out? MOC member to my rescue

We were in Houston this past weekend and I got locked out of the Monty. Hubby was attending a seminar and I came along for the ride. I walked out of the Monty to put the trash out. I came out of the Monty and shut the door behind me, only to find it locked when I tried to open the door. I was outside with no keys, cell phone, and only half a cup of coffee in me. I went to the office and asked if they had a master key to Fifth Wheels. The young lady advised me that they didn't, and that she didn't have the Good Sams Roadside Assistance number. I walked outside and found three lovely gentlemen that were very helpful. They all pulled out their RV keys and walked me back to the Monty. They all tried their keys, with no success. A fellow MOC member was parked near by, so they found him to see if his key would work.

Warren asked me if my basement was locked. It wasn't, so he suggested that we go in through the laundry chute. I crawled into the basement, but was unable to raise the lid. A fellow camper's grandson climbed in and with the help of grandpa they got the chute open. The youngster popped in and had my door open in seconds. Not sure of the young mans name, or his grandpas….. I was operating on a half of a cup of coffee.

It was great getting to meet fellow MOC members, but would have preferred to do it in a different way.

Something that we found out that we all weren’t aware of. If you lock your top left lock with your key from the outside, and someone walks out and shuts the door, they will be locked out of the Monty. The only way you can get back into the Monty is with a key, or climb in the laundry chute, or possibly through a window.

Because you can enter through the laundry chute, has anyone modified it so an uninvited guest is kept out? The locks on the basement doors aren’t sturdy enough to keep anyone out. Of course there is all of the junk in the basement that would deter an uninvited guest.

Warren and Judy thanks for helping a fellow member out. Sorry we didn't get over to see your TV set up after Bob got back from class. Campers next to us came over for information about Texas. Time slipped by and we figured you would be eating dinner. Enjoy the Woodlands it is a great park. We will stay there again when in the area.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
You're story sounds very familiar to mine. I too rode along when my hubby was attending a seminar. I stepped out to walk the dog and when I tried to open the door it was locked. Darn! Fortunately I was able to call his secretary who was able to get in touch with him at the conference. He was able to run to the campground and open the door. Now, the dog has an extra key attached to her collar whenever I take her walking! Lesson learned! (BTW, at the time we had SOB, so no laundry chute to crawl through.)
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The top lock that locks the lever is master keyed. Most RV dealerships have that master key. The bottom lock that locks the dead bolt is unique to the keys held by the owner. Therefore I never lock the handle and always lock the dead bolt. Especially on the road because the dead bolt can not vibrate open where the normal angled door catch might. The might is slim but possible.
Glad you got back in.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glad you got in Colleen.
I know I will lose mine sometime..... I hide a key.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
DW had to use the same method of entry one time. The only modification you need to prevent entry through the laundry chute is to open the batroom door so it is over the chute, preventing it from opening. At least that is how we do it on our 3400 when it is in winter storage and when we leave it for extended periods while camping.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Don't feel bad about being locked out. Just don't ask how I know about it.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
BTW, don't leave your 2 yr old grandson inside while you take the garbage outside either... In a matter of SECONDS they will grab that bright little red handle and throw it. I was WAY out of town with my key. I walked Cheryl through going in through the basement chute over the cell phone. She was not a "happy camper"...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
My wife learned that lesson while at a rally. I left to go golfing, locked the door, she stepped out and shut the door, locked out. We became good friends with Searchers that weekend as he crawled in through the hamper door and opened up the door so Sharon could get back in. Lesson learned, hide a key out side where you can get to it when everything else is locked.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #9
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Lesson learned, keep a door key in the basement, hidden smartly. The basement keys are universal, any RV owner has access to the basement.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The 3485 and 3585 no longer have laundry chutes so that entrance is no longer an option. Our answer is very simple. Have a spare key hidden in a spot known only to you and your spouse. Of course that spot should not be inside the bedroom secret key compartment.

BTW-Like John pointed out, dealers only have a Master Key for the top lock. They do not have a Master Key for the deadbolt lock. I should also point out that you should never drop your rig off for service and lock the deadbolt. If you do lock the deadbolt the dealer will be calling you to come back and unlock the rig.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 AM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Thanks for the hidden key idea guys. That was the first thing that all three men pointed out to me when we were standing outside trying keys. That is on the to do list the next time I make it to Austin.

One of the gentlemen said he had a problem getting a duplicate made. He guessed that they thought he didn't own the vehicle. Has anyone had the same trouble?

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that has been locked out. My problem was that I knew hubby wouldn't have his cell phone on while in class.

The lock that was locked was the Master Lock. That was the reason I was hoping that someone elses key might open our rig.

Just curious did anyone have to use the Good Sams Emergency Assistance to get back in? I wonder how long I would have had to wait for them to arrive.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Opening the sliding pocket door also effectively keeps the laundry chute from being opened from below. However, in our case, to even access the chute door from below would require emptying out at least half of that locker. That would no doubt draw the attention of our neighbors. So, we don't worry about it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:15 AM   #13
SGB

M.O.C. #7824
MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN LOCKED OUT ON TWO COUNTS AND THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE LOCKING MECHANISM NOT BEING PROPERLY LUBRICATED. DW 40 SPRAYINTO THE LOCK RIGHT INTO THE MECHANISM RELIVES THIS PROBLEM.
STEVE & JOAN
SGB is offline   Reply With Quote