Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #21
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I am not joining in on this "discussion" to beat a dead horse, but to share my experience with the Keystone Service Centre. As you can see from my signature, our unit is an 04 and Keystone have been helping me out with Frame flex problems, rim pinholes, replacing the front graphics and slide problems all along. When I mentioned (recently) that the slide was still giving me problems I was told it was a mtce. problem. You know what, I can live with that answer. Keystone have been fair to me for the past 3 yrs and all after warranty expiration. I have an appointment with Fox RV in Middlebury for mtce. work in Nov. on my way south. My two cents.

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #22
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have only had minor issues with our 2004 so far. The very few times I have had to call Keystone.... one time I think I got Susan and she was not a nice person. Told me we didn't know how to close and open the screen door. Was why it needed adjusting. Also told me we didn't know how to close the drawers either since we had to have a drawer fixed. Under warranty.
This was news to me since the Montana was our 3rd fifth wheel we have owned. I been using drawers for years and opening and closing screen doors for many years too.

One of the ladies that answere for Dometic told me we didn't know how to operate the AC. A Dometic authorized repairman got it replaced under warranty. Wasn't working at all.
Then later the fridge quit, same woman told me we didn't know how to use the fridge. Dometic repairman got that replaced too under warranty. It was not working.
Now they both work fine!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #23
TwinkleToes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5679
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

You make an interesting point about them (Keystone) reading this forum. I've often wondered about the real ownership of the forum. I researched it some, but didn't really find anything. IIRC, there was mention on the rally thread that some individual paid the cost of the forum. With no ads, I am somewhat skeptical of that statement.
The MOC forum is, indeed, owned by an individual and is paid for by that individual, with the assistance of donations. There are some Keystone employees who do read the forum. In fact, some of the improvements to the Montanas over the years have been as a direct result of reading the forum. However, Keystone has absolutely no ownership or control over this forum.

If you would like to donate to keep this forum running, please use the donation available at the top of the main page (when you first log in).

Thank you for your continued support of the Montana Owners Club.
TwinkleToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #24
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
To clarify about honey and vinegar: I wrote a letter to Keystone asking for reimbursement of the money I paid to a rural RV repairman. And, also to clarify, the heater went out on a Saturday and Keystone was closed so I could not speak with them prior to my calling the repairman.

The weather was sub-freezing (about 28 degrees) and I was worried about freezing lines. I found a pawn shop in the little town and purchased two dusty electric heaters. One I used inside the 5er, the other I put in the basement and then was careful about the amperage draw.

I also spent some of my own time and blood (you may recall that I have posted prior about changing the electrode in the heater) changing the electrode as it would sometimes not ignite the propane. The initial problem with the heater was the control board, but perhaps with the removal and reinstallation of the heater the gap of the electrode was widened or closed, thus preventing a reliable spark when needed. To date, I have had no further problems with the heater after diagnosing and fixing a "thumping" sound that was found to be caused by the metal sides when the heater heated up and then cooled.

Some time after I sent the letter, along with photographs showing that the RV repairman had to cut a hole in our pantry so that he could get at the screw on the stern side of the heater due to the screw being put in at an angle obtuse to the unit as opposed to straight up and down, when the unit was put in prior to the rear of the pantry being installed, I received a call while we were towing. In this call I was told flat out that there was no reason for the hole in the pantry and that the RV repairman didn't know what he was doing. I was also told that they would only pay for 2 hours of labor. Curiously, I was told that Keystone would pay for the repair of the rear pantry area. I explained that, after careful consideration, I wasn't asking for this particular repair, just the approximate $298 I spent out of pocket for the heater repair.

BTW, I paid for the parts from Atwood and expected a full reimbursement from them. I did get a refund of the part, but then about 3 months later, they charged me another $27. And, I paid for postage, both ways.

When I returned to my purchasing dealer, I asked the head technician to look at the heater installation. He, too, said that there would be no easy way to remove the screw and therefore the heater without putting a hole in the rear of the pantry.

As most of you know, I don't rant and rave. In fact, this took place late last winter. I didn't post anything here as I am not one to dwell in the negative as there are many things I do like about Team Montana - Mark Krul is one of them. Recently, while at the factory, I asked to see and meet Mark, but he was, unfortunately in a meeting subsequent to the Montana factory tour we took and so was unavailable. I also wanted to meet Susan, but she was also unavailable.

When Susan's name came up on this forum, my blood pressure spiked. Even during our telephone conversation, which she told me was being recorded, I was polite but firm in my position that her response was inadequate given the circumstances. When I asked to speak to her supervisor, I was told that her supervisor was the President of the company. I politely asked to speak with him or her. I was denied the opportunity.

Again, it is all about attitude. If it had been explained (and supported, which it wasn't) that they, per guidelines, only pay for 2 hours of labor for this particular repair, I could begin to accept it.

Enough said...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you have ever been to the rally in Goshen it will be obvious that Keystone/Montana values this forum. They are not at all secretive about that. Several thousand Montana owners are a valuable resource and at the rally we are asked for our input and evaluation of new products. There are other manufacturers that openly sponsor owners forums/ clubs...Coachman, wind-stream, Etc.It makes no sense that Montana would be secretive about sponsoring this forum.What would be the purpose??? I know there are some Montana folks that read the forum. It only makes sense that they would.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #26
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I would hope that Montana values this site as they recommend visiting Montana Owners Club web page on the back page of their brochure
When I first called TM I told them up front that I was getting my info from MOC, they were not too happy about some of the posts on MOC. The point I am trying to get across about them reading our posts was If you say Team Montana then nobody can say you were making comments about an individual person. No one like to read in print their name and especially in a negative context. You can never take it back when it is in print!! Otherwise it can come back to haunt you. When I was first told that I could not take this unit to Alaska, I asked if this conversation was being reccorded because I wanted proof of what was actually said. The answer was no. So I asked them to repeat what they said and they did, likewise they would not let me talk to supervisor and could write whoever I wanted to.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am making a list of questions to ask the Montana folks.. I will ask the question..why can we not take a Montana to Alaska. If that is keystone policy we need to know about it and why and it needs to be in writing. I am sure folks were told that in some context by a Montana's spokesperson...but I do not believe it for one second. I see knowhere is the literature or warranty a list of places you can NOT take a Keystone product. I mean they sell them in Alaska so Keystone takes them to Alaska...duhhhh...
Old 08-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #28
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Good point Rich they have to deliver the to Alaska don't they.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #29
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Well, we took our Montana to Alaska and saw many others in almost every campground that we stayed in. We drove very slow over the rough roads and even the smooth ones because we didn't want to miss anything. I am happy to say that the Montana came through just fine. We have been on some freeways in the lower 48 that were much worse. I had not heard that we shouldn't take the Tana to Alaska even after Glenn and Judy had their problems with their water tank.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:55 AM   #30
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I suggest any issue with service/quality, good and bad, be placed in the MOC Forum "Hey Keystone" Subject "What I'd like to say" - This part of the Forum was added to make sure you could communicate with Keystone at the appropriate level. With that said, many of us focus on problem issues and not many of us take the time to report or comment on the exceptional or valued service. I believe Keystone can learn from both points.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 AM   #31
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have only dealt with Keystone once for a problem with the title on my 04 Mountaineer, which was tramsported new to a dealer in North Carolina. The dealer could not sell it because it only sleeps 2 unless the extra folks are two small people and can curl up on the table. The 5vr was then sent to a rv wholesaler in TN. I purchased it new in Sept of 04. I had a small problem which the dealer up here in Mich. had to get an ok from Keystone to repair under the warranty. Keystone told me that the unit was used and they would not honor the warranty. I then informed Keystone that I had the original title and original destination papers to the dealer in NC. I informed Keystone that since I had papers to show that the trailer was never titled to an original owner and that I was the original owner, that I should get a one year warranty from the date of purchase. To make this short, I made a lot of phone call and faxed copies of all my paperwork to Keystone. I had to go through a lot of hoops with service reps. and then I was transfered to someone in charge and finally got the whole mess fixed. I received a full one year warranty. I tried to be nice to everyone as this paperwork thing took severl weeks to finish. Never give up!
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:43 AM   #32
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Firstly, the comment about not taking to unit Alaska refers to only 3000 model REAR KITCHEN. MY first post asked if anyone else had taken a 3000 to Alaska, no response. My second addresed my problems and the comments about not taking to Alaska. My third is under Technical help and had spent 3/4 hour on phone talking to three differnt people. When Richfaa says he does not believe that TM said that then he should talk to my wife!! I feel that the problem only exists on the 3000 series and maybe on the 2006 only as the 2007 has 6000# axles, is & inches longer and weighs more. Did that take care of the problem?? I have had several PM with sailing re his 2006, 3000 and 5200# axles.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #33
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I sure hope that you don't have to spend all you time each and every day writing threads in this forum, go to all the rallies, or to factory at Goshen in order to get your name known to get good customer service from Keystone... because some of us don't have the time because of work, or money to travel that far. I would hope Keystone would stand behind their product regardless of who you are.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #34
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I am gonna have a hard time believing that the only unit you cannot take to Alaska is a 3000 Rear kitchen.

Something smells funny.

Why don't customers get treated the same?? Have no idea, but we must always remember to add in the human factor, maybe the person we are dealing with just found out their child has cancer or needs to have heart surgery. We may never know why we call and get different responses/reactions.

That does not mean it is right for me to get a slide rebuild (example)and for you to be denied same.

I believe that this forum has had a lot of great feed back for Montana and Team Montana. Not every post is negative, there are quite a few MOCers that have said a lot of really nice things about Keystone and treatment from them.

Life is that way, some get, some don't, it is not fair, it just is. Yet our hearts go out to those who are hurting and cannot seem to get a fix, it is a horrible feeling in your gut. We all do a little prayer at night for ya!

These are my opinions, I am not on anyone's payroll, I am sorry if what I say does not meet with your approval.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #35
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Everyone at Keystone has not treated us badly. Just one. We have had good response on questions and etc. I knew exactly who to talk to and he is very nice.

I really hope you get the issues fixed.
Ask for Lon Nelson. I hope he is still there because it has been long time since we have had to call anyone there.
1-574-537-3901
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #36
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dusty,

I believe Lon has moved on, or retired. He was such a nice man.

I would try asking for Darrell, also a very very nice man!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is what I said" I am sure folks were told that in some context by a Montana's spokesperson" That means I am sure that Someone in Montana said that

..."but I do not believe it for one second. " That means I do not beleive for one second that you can not take a Montana to Alaska......
Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #38
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
My experiences with Keystone and Team Montana has been nothing but rewarding and yes I would buy another Keystone product. They are only human and treat them with respect. Just like anyone else I would like the same. I enjoy reading and meeting MOC and hope that it continues to go on. And as others including people has said from Keystone they do monitor this web site.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #39
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

I sure hope that you don't have to spend all you time each and every day writing threads in this forum, go to all the rallies, or to factory at Goshen in order to get your name known to get good customer service from Keystone... because some of us don't have the time because of work, or money to travel that far. I would hope Keystone would stand behind their product regardless of who you are.
Keystone has done very good for me. They don't know me from Adam.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #40
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have had our 2004 into Keystone two times now and had good service from Darrell and George. I NEVER tried my dealer after a run around about axles. I also had the run around from TM over the axles (they had never heard about them bending, I suggested they look at this site for the problem). Alko took care of the axle problem on their own. I got a number for a VP at Keystone and he had Darrell contact me. After talking to Darrell I have been very happy. Go VOLS.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote