Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Factory Tires

Our trailer came with the Chinese Trailblazer tires up to now we had done well with them. Leaving Las Vegas heading to Phoenix we stopped for fuel in Kingman. Next to the Chevron is a tire store. Turns out there is a very "Helpful" man helping with traffic in the station. He cleared a path for me to get the rig up to a Diesel pump. And noticed a problem with one of my tires. He offered to change my tire for free. What a "Helpful" man. I get up there and now ALL my tires are bad and he could cut me a real good price at $260.00 EACH. I looked at the tires and sure enough I was having some seperation in the belts on the left front. No suprise for I had been watching that tire for a ways. And it started getting worse. I told them to just put the spare on. They were pissed with me and tried the scare tactics.
Once in Peoria I inspected my tires closer and all but one were starting to seperate in the sidewalls.
After shopping around Sams club does not carry trailer tires and are 7-10 days out for ordering them. Most tire stores wanting to sell light truck tires. I after all these years in the mechanic business do not know the difference. But I wanted the right tire. I went to different tire web sites and researched compatible tires and amongst othere came up with Goodyear Wrangler HT. When I asked for them by specification Discount tire had them in stock. Put together the best deal with someone I could get national warranty and a reputable company. For about $750.00 I got a full set and signed up for their credit card in paid in full I get a $100.00 rebate. So down to $650.00 for the set.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:39 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Hello Rick,
What an experience! It's those " Helpfull " people that give the rest of us a bad reputation. I'm glad you had the good sense to not fall for their scare tactics.
You did good with the Goodyear Wrangler HT. The price wasn't out of line, and the $100.00 rebate is frosting on the cake.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Lonnie I used to be in the Mobile repair business and that too has a reputation for crooks. I know that they all are not that way, But for everyone in MOC Land goes to show use good sence and the old saying buyer beware
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote