Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Prodigy says there is a short.

We are configured with a Prodigy brake controller driving the brakes in our Cambridge. Recently I have noticed that in hard braking conditions I get normal behavior then, a warning followed by a short indication, After i get off the brakes, the short indication remains for a few moments and then clears. Thereafter the system behaves normally until I get to a hard brake situation again. The Cambridge is heavy enough that it is hard to tell if the braking is actually compromised.

Anybody out there have an idea about what is going on?

In point of fact, the brake wiring in the Cambridge is just as sloppy as has been reported for the rest of the electrics. I've had broken circuits on several occassions due to exposed and unsecured butt splices coming apart. But, I havn't seen anything that would cause a short although I have not been inside the frame above the bottom apron.

Dave

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Dave, Have you looked inside the brake drums? Might be something going on in there when the cam pulls more extremely on hard brake operations. Did you see this picture I've posted? The magnet wires were incorrectly routed, rubbed through insulation. Not to say this is your issue...but who knows.
Chuck
Incorrect Routing!!!!

Proper Routing! That magnet rattles so wire needs freedom to move around without wearing out the insulation.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Dave,

I feel your pain brother. I have been searching for my brake short for overe 6 months. My brakes will work fine and then the short is indicated. It doesn't take long and the brakes will release and then grab several times. Let me know what you find out. If I find anything I will do likewise.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I had the same problem as Chuck, inside the drum. Right rear wheel.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
According to the indication you give, there are only two places for it to occur. (1) Prodigy is malfuncioning or (2) there is really an intermittent short.

Since it is intermittent, I suspect (like the others) it is some place where there is wire movement under load. If I were trouble shooting, I would start with the drums and work back from there. Hope you find it sooner than later.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
When we first got the monty last year, the back brakes were the only ones working, I took the belly down and found the wire just hanging there, never hooked up.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:43 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Chuck is on the right path. I've had three wire at three different wheels short out. My fix was undue the wires outside the hub slide shrink wrap over the wire. Then when making the connection outside the hub again solder the wires together. Hope your problem will be so easy to fix, let us know. SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:55 AM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Chuck, Thanks for the picture. This is most likely the problem. I plan on servicing the coach in January and will look for this condition.
Also, I originally posted this under Montana and someone moved it to tow vehicles. It is mostlikely a Coach problem
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
If all else fails, try calling Prodigy...they are very helpful: 888-785-5832.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, if you decide to pull a drum and check the wiring, I'd recommend pulling the right rear one first. Of all the shorted wires in the drums that have been reported here in the past year or two I only recall one that was not in the RR.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Except for me... I had shorts in all four of them because of the wiring mistake. This after pulling it home 5hrs from dealer. I did feel better knowing all were fixed up, rerouted like picture above (edited since original post, with second picture of proper routing) and while I was in there cleaned, inspected bearings, races, and repacked with fresh grease.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #12
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
My "shorting brakes" problem was in the right rear, exactly as Steve predicted it would be. It appears that the "right rear wheel brake wiring old world craftsman" needs to go back to old world craftsman school!!!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congrats on finding the problem. Resolution brings relief. Happy
RVing.......

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote