Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
Montana_6122

M.O.C. #6122
Wrecked our Monty

Well this was just our fourth trip with out 2955RL when 10 miles from home a mustang crosses the center line in front of us. We almost missed him until he spun into the right rear of my Dodge Ram then continued down the right side of the trailer taking out the right wheels and bending the axels. We skidded another 150 feet keeping the rig straight then off the edge of the shoulder, then rolled over on our left side. Important thing is nobody was hurt!!

Now we start the process of replacement (hopefully) or repair (dread).

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has gone down this road.

Montana_6122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
OH MY GOSH! What a tramatic experience.

I have no experience in this, but I'm just real happy no one was hurt!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:34 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
fassel,
We are sure glad everyone is okay, man that must have been pretty scary, WOW!!
We have never been in an accident like that, and hopefully never will be, so I really have no advice for you guys. I just wanted to let you know we feel for you, and we are glad you are ok.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:39 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
This is the kind of trip stories I don't like to hear about. Glad all are OK (except for the Monty and TV).
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:41 AM   #5
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I can't even begin to imagine how terrifying that must have been. Thank God you were not hurt. It sounds like you kept your wits around you pretty good. Let us know how it all comes out. Good luck!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Sorry to hear of this accident but as you said, thankfully nobody was hurt. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:31 AM   #7
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I have not been down that road nor do I want to but I have been to the factory service center and watched them work. My guess is they can make it as good as new or better in short order. I did see one or two that were the worse for wear waiting for work but nothing like that actually being repaired. They had mine apart and back together quickly but mine was not accident damage.

Sounds like a good piece of driving on your part. I too am glad no one was hurt.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A experience like that would be our worst nightmare.You were very fortunate that no none was injured. What was the Mustangs story??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Whew!! Sure glad you and yours are ok and apparently the guy who caused it is ok. Sorry you had this happpen! Hope all turns out well for you.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I hate to hear these stories. Glad no one was hurt. Hope you get a replacement also and best of luck with all.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I shudder at the thought of that happening going down the road with my family. Good thing you hung on and were able to walk away.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:57 AM   #12
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I am so sorry that you had to experience such a bad accident, Very happy your OK and no one was seriously hurt. I feel bad that your rig will now be tied up in repair for a long period of time. I would really look into trying to get compensation for time not used.... It always works out that the guy that caused the wreck goes on his/her merry way. That is what really gets me,
Again I am sorry for you. John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:23 AM   #13
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We are so thankful that you are alright. The Tana and TV are replacable, but our MOC family members are not. We are sure glad that you had a guardian angel riding shotgun with you. We wish you the best of luck on getting the Tana and TV fixed/replaced. We wish you the very best of holidays inspite of this unfortunate incident. Take care of yourselves and keep us posted.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:28 AM   #14
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Sorry to hear about your accident, and happy that you weren't hurt!! We had a close call in Nebraska last year when a small car passing us lost control, skidded across in front of us, went up the embankment on our right and passed us going back the way we'd came. That was scary enough for me. Hope the Ram and Monty are back in commission sooner than later. Good luck.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
fassel,
The good lord was watching out for you! Such blessings to hear you were not hurt. Trucks and RV's can be replaced, it is the people that are most important. Hold firm with the other parties insurance company. Demand they replace your truck and coach, do not let them try and rebuild it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #16
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
fassel, we are glad to hear that you two were not hurt. I just could not imagine going through an accident like that and ending up on your side. I hope all works out with replacement or repairs to your satisfaction.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #17
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Bob & Jane, so sorry to hear of your accident, but happy there were no injuries. This sort of thing is every RVers nightmare. That had to be some driving you did! We also hope you are able to get everything replaced and not having them "try" to fix it. I can't remember hearing of anyone having this serious of damage in or on their rigs, but I'm sure you will get a some help in regards of serious things to look for that would help in proving the need for replacement and not repair. There are a lot of RV educated people on the forum. Good Luck.
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
Montana_6122

M.O.C. #6122
The rear half of the Mustang was totally demolished...Thanks to all for the kind words.

I was very surprised to see how well the interior components of the Monty held up, the refrigerator door even stayed closed. One kitchen cabinet came off the hinges and one rocker ended up on top of the sofa. Not sure how well the frame held up.
Montana_6122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #19
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Fassel,

As you said the important thing is no one was hurt. That's an early Christmas blessing for you and your family!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #20
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Fassel, I am so glad no one was injured. Sounds like a good bit of driving on your part. I have not see your unit but you lay one of this things on the side I can vision all kinds of stress in places that don't normally stress. I would have my lawyer go for a replacement if at all possible. You know it is the other guys insurance that is going to try and get by as cheap as possible. Get your lawyer involved and let him deal with them.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote