Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
JRfromRI

M.O.C. #6432
3500 RL .. for a family of four

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with a 3500RL and a family of four.

We are seriously considering purchasing a 3500RL. As matter of fact we are going to be meeting with the dealer on Friday. We are a family of four (a 12 & 15 year old). We currently have a cougar with a bunkhouse, but we are finding that the bunkhouse is really a waste of space 98% of the time. We camp on the weekends (for about six months of the year).

Our kids have looked at the unit and are very excited about the 3500RL and agree that with (somewhat decent) foam mattresses that they will sleep on the floor in the rear living room, which can be closed off with the pocket doors. We considered getting jack-knife sofas in place of the pullout sleeper and recliners but we are leaning against it. We really want to keep the recliners and in reality the foam mattresses will not be a lot different from what the kids are currently using in the bunkhouse. We will probably store them behind the sofa.

We feel that there is plenty of space for storage of clothes for all of us in the bedroom, and showers should not be a issue - we will just need to make sure that we give each other the needed privacy.

We feel that overall our camping experience will be greatly enhanced in this RV. And although these units aren't specifically designed for families with kids, that this is going to work very well for us.

Any thoughts or experiences that anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything else that we should be considering?

JRfromRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Living in such close quarters always demands scheduling and planning. Is it doable? Certainly and it sounds like you already have the experience of family outings.

The only issue that would be of concern to me is the one you have already addressed. If you think outside the box, then the hide-a-bed could be exchanged for one with a better mattress and support frame. I wouldn't want to sleep on the standard hide-a-bed that comes in any of the Montanas.

At a minimum, I would want to add a mattress topper. There are several types. We have the foam type on the master bed. We have a battery powered inflater mattress for the hide-a-bed that is used when we have guests and tucks away when not required.

Welcome to the forum. You will find it indispensible should you choose a Montana.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Hello and welcome to the forum. We have 5 in our family, ages 18, 15 and 10. We are picking up our 3500RL next Thursday. We have had several campers over the years, including a bunk house. The bunk house was nice, especially when the kids were younger. However, we agree with you as it is a wasted space most of the time. Our 18 year old will be off to college next year, and really doesn't camp with us a lot anymore. Not that she doesn't want too, it just seems she has other plans or is working. With that being said, we decided to just get what we wanted and we would work around the sleeping arrangements. Our 10 and 15 year old sometimes will share the hide a bed, sometimes they blow up an air mattress and sleep on it, and sometimes, one sleeps on the couch and the other will sleep on the floor on an air mattress or a piece of foam. They are pretty flexible and they never complain. We usually put memory foam or that egg crate type foam on the hide-a-bed and that makes it much better. We liked the 3500RL because you can close the doors and the kids can stay up late watching TV or whatever, and it won't bother use when we want to go to bed. Also, the fireplace is nice as it can be used as extra heat back there if they get cold without having to heat up the entire camper. Sorry for the long post, but you can PM me if there is any other information I can give you. I can give you more once we pick it up.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I own the same unit, however, I live in it alone. My sister stayed with me while she was in town, and the separate room REALLY helped out a lot. I got up and made coffee while she was still sleeping and I didn't disturb her, and didn't have to see or hear her snoring I love the pocket doors with shades which provide total privacy especially at nap or bedtime. Even though I'm by myself, back in April and May when it was cool at night I closed the pocket doors and just heated up the one room where I watch television and use the computer. I really enjoy my unit and floor plan, as it fits my lifestyle perfectly. My previous trailer had an open floor plan and anytime I had company spend the night, I was crawling all over them trying to get into the kitchen, and there wasn't any privacy at all. Also, the 3500RL model has a divider between the bath area and bed which the 3400RL doesn't, and that can really help with some privacy when guest or family need to use the vanity area and you may still be lying in bed. Good Luck! I'm sure you will love the 3500. Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
DMK

M.O.C. #5483
We have the 3500RL and love it. My mother-in-law comes camping with us frequently and the separate room works out great. She has her privacy and we have ours. A college roommate of mine also spent a couple of nights with us and thought the arrangement was great. She brought her dog with her and even with our two dogs,we still had plenty of room. Hope you decide to get a Montana. Dorothy and Dick Kohout
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
JR,

Welcome to the Forum!

We have a family of four and like you, we steered away from the bunk houses primarily becaused they are fixed rooms that are a waste when not sleeping. Our kids (10-14) use the pullout bed on our 2955RL most of the time and no complaints (they are not big kids). Sometimes they elect to just sleep on the floor with foam matresses. It has worked out well for us EXCEPT, on our model the fold out bed blocks access the door. That can be a pain and we encourage them to get up and pack up before they are really ready so we can move around. That's part of the reason we are looking to upgrade.

Good luck on your new coach!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:48 AM   #7
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
skoobdo, does your 3500 have pocket doors? Mine has french doors with glass inserts.
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:07 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The maximum interior space there can be in a Recreational vehicle can be is 400 Square feet. The 3500 is one of the larger Montana's so it is no doubt at the maximum. If your family of 4 can live in Harmony with everyones needs meet you will do just fine.Many on this forum do just that...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #9
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Welcome to the forum JR. I have almost the same situation like yours. I have 3500RL since last year and we love it.
My kids 16 years old girl and 12 years old boy using living room area at night. My daughter tried sleeping on the sofa bed ,
but after several trips she was complaining that a mattress is not comfortable. My son was sleeping on a air mattress along a fireplace. As for now we are using two air mattresses for them and I thing this works the best. One problem with all this set up is that every night we have to set this things up for them and we are loosing this great area for ourselves. Specially in the morning when kids are sleeping all that area is out of limits for us. We took couple local trips without the kids and than you can appreciate comfort of this trailer.
Happy camping
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigbob7777

skoobdo, does your 3500 have pocket doors? Mine has french doors with glass inserts.
Yes, mine has pocket doors. I like the french doors, however they have to be closed when in tow, and you lose corner room when you open them. I have some decorative items setting at each corner which don't get in the way with the pocket doors. I heard from a dealer they did away with the french doors because so many folks didn't secure them well and when they put their slides in they broke them quite often. Since they replaced the french doors they extended the entry way all the way to the ceiling (no arch now), which makes the room feel bigger.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
JRfromRI

M.O.C. #6432
Thank-you everyone for your response!!!

My husband and I are planning to place our order for a 3500 within the next week!!

I really appreciate all of your feedback. We will try with the foam mattresses....I do believe that they will work for our kids. We are planning to order the unit with the jack-knife sofa. Hopefully this will work for the kids.

I will certainly let everyone know once we have finally pulled the trigger and ordered the unit.

Thanks again!!!
JRfromRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
JRfromRI,
Congrats on your upcoming order of a new 3500RL Montana.

While I do not have the 3500RL, I do have the 3400RL and can say I have had as many as 12 people sleeping in my coach for the weekend. It is tight, but can be done. In my opinion, your family of 4 is going to love all the space and features your new Montana is going to offer. I look forward to hearing about your first trip out with it. Keep us updated...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Montana Sky - 12?!!! Is that like you and 11 babes?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:50 AM   #14
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
We just had our first weekend in the 3500RL...we had people staying. The kids took over the rear and came up with some interesting ways to sleep! They had plenty of room to spread out, and didn't complain. We usually don't have that many kids with us on a trip, but two of ours brought a couple of friends. The adults were able to sit in the kitchen and enjoy some drinks while the kids were in the back with the doors closed watching movies. WOrked well.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
Laundryboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6334
With pocket doors can you open them while the bed is folded out?
Laundryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #16
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Laundryboy, Yes, you can close the doors and the bed folds out. That's the nice thing about it. You can have guests back there and they can close the doors and comfortably get around.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,

LOL! I wish I could say it was me and 11 females! There was a good mix of people though, ages range 21-29. Amazing at how many friends appear when they know you have a lake place all set up with boat, waverunners, rv and a view to die for. =) Oh the joys of summer....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #18
Laundryboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6334
If a guest needs to have a bathroom break in the middle of the night, can they get out without putting the bed away?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #19
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Laundryboy

If a guest needs to have a bathroom break in the middle of the night, can they get out without putting the bed away?
When the sofa is made into a bed, you can close and open the sliding doors, and you can easily get in and out of the sofa bed, just like you can with a regular bed.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #20
Laundryboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6334
__________________________________________________ ___________________
Originally posted by SKOOBDQ:

"When the sofa is made into a bed, you can close and open the sliding doors, and you can easily get in and out of the sofa bed, just like you can with a regular bed."
__________________________________________________ ___________________

I was referring to pocket doors (swinging). I recently read that the 3500RL was only going to be available with them. It seems that unless they swing out, rather than in, that the bed wouldn't allow them to open while it was folded out. Thanks!