Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2005, 05:38 AM   #1
Montana_3166

M.O.C. #3166
Buying a Montana & questioning heater vent

We have finally taken the big leap and bought a 3475. We did a walk thru yesterday and I found that the heater vent in the kitchen blew hardly any air. Has anyone else found that this is normal, because we won't pick it up until this weekend, I wanted to see if it's a defect or normal. The vent in the bedroom was full blast and the two in the living area were ok. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Montana_3166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I'm not sure with that model how the layout is. it is common to have some variation, but shouldn't be a huge differance. the closest vent to the furnace will be somewhat differant than the farthest.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
We barely get heat in the bedroom - but since heat rises, this has not been a problem. When we first discovered this (2000)I took grate cover off and found debris (sawdust, insulation, little wood chips). Also found a big tear in the duct work in the laundry chute area. I would not be surprised if there aren't more tears where we can't see since there is barely, if any heat coming out of the bedroom vent.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I replaced my water pump with a shureflo 5.7 and looked at the heating ducts off the furance.
The one to the front is a 4" flex pipe and the one that goes under the stairs I think???? to feed the kitchen and living room is only 2" in diameter.
Or is the heat to the rear directly ducted into the bottom of the heater?
To see where the 2" duct goes I have to take the grate off the botrtom step.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I was always amazed the lack of insulation around the flex pipe.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Not sure if this helps but on our 2955 I have found that the bedroom duct is the 4" flex and the other vents are heated by rectangular duct directly from the furnace.The 2 inch flex duct is what in our unit heats the underbelly tanks.Since we do not camp in the freezing months I have dis-connected that flex and sealed the hole.Noticed quite a pick-up in air volume.Also did away with that flex duct and replaced with hard 4" round metal duct and wrapped that duct and boot with bubble wrap insulation.This resulted in a major change in increased airflow to the bedroom area,but we added a small two inch vent to the toilet area which was needed when I read the paper.We also added adjustable floor registers and I fabricated a sheet metal filter rank to filter the return air to the furnace.A little work her has greatly enhanced our heating system with much more constant airflow throughout the unit.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also have a new 3475 and we have plenty of air coming out of that vent. I would take off the vent cover and see if there something deflecting the air. That should be the first vent off the heater. Since it is the first vent, a lot of the air may be bypassing that vent and goes to the other vents. We have had ours for two months living in Florida and it has been on every nite.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren VA (now in Wachula FL)
2005 3475 Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #8
Montana_3166

M.O.C. #3166
Thanks for the helpful inputs! I called the salesman and asked him if he would have them take off the vent and check it out. It's been cold here today, 42 degrees, so maybe they will have it fixed before our final walk around. Anxious to get the new rig!
Montana_3166 is offline   Reply With Quote