Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2004, 04:32 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
backing cameras for fifth wheels

Does anyone have/use one of those backing cameras that Class A's typically have installed? I was wondering if they're practical and how much room do they use up in the truck?

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:10 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like the remote control for the jacks, the rearview camera is just another gimmick I for one don't need. Before I do any backing I always get out first and survey the entire area.
What is directly behind the rig is usually not the problem. Lorraine will keep an eye on any obstacles to the rear and warn me when I get too close. For me the problem usually is what is on either side of the rig. The power tower, the water connection, sewer hook up, site signs and other obstructions on the left or right are the things that really want to see.

And they are just one more agravation when they don't work and you know they won't work when you need them the most.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:48 AM   #3
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
We had a b/u CCD put on the back of our 3650 ... we had the Pioneer AVIC-N1 installed, which comes with an input for a b/u camera..
we paid 300 for the camera, but the installer had not put one on a 5er..
simply put, it worked the first day, but not since then.
I think the real prob. lies with the fact that ther'es about 50ft. of video cable connecting to the screen in the cab. The video loss is so great that it's b&w at best.
It does not work at all now, due to the water and/or condesation accumlating in the camera. I think it's meant to mount below a bumper on a truck, not on the rear ladder, like ours is.
At least our installer suggested that it may not work due to the amount of signal loss in such a long cable run. He said he could inquire about getting a video signal booster, which would help immensely in this situation.
But I concur with Glenns' statement: Do a physical search, with a scout, and you really don't need a camera. It was more fun watching what was behind us while going down the road, which I found more useful than for backing up. It helps in lane changes, etc. while underway...
Montana_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:14 AM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Harleyrider has one from rvcams.com(I think, check his signature). Hopefully he will chime in on this one.
I too would like one(on the wish list).

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:40 AM   #5
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi We just put one in ours. Not for the back up thing because I have Sandy out there to blame. My problem was not knowing if anyone was on our rear end up close and personal. Also it gives us a heads up if someone pulls in tight when we are parked somewhere for lunch or whatever. It's also great for passing-when you see what you have passed, you have. I had a security camera but it was a hard wire. I cut that off first back-up when it went into the 5th wheel. Now the good part. Went to Home Depot and found wireless set (camera and tv) for $99. Camera was 9v so went to radio Shack and got voltage reducer.$15.99 Camera mounted in rear window taking power from one of the 12v lights by way of a plug so it can be easily removed. Tv sits btwn the front seats facing the front. I tilt the rearview window down so the tv is in the mirror. Can't see anything in that mirror anyway while hauling. The viewing thru the mirror puts all the view in the proper perspective. Looking directly at tv shows everything backwards. I like it alot but only time will tell the whole story. Heading south at end of the month. I want my thermometer in the signature to be as warm as Glenn's. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
John is right I do have a rear view camera.That I bought from www.rvcams.com.I don`t really use it a whole lot for backing into a space at a camp ground.But I find it very useful while on the high way.Lets me see 3 lanes of traffic behind me.The thin LCD color screen is pretty small,doesn`t take up to much space.Its a 6.8 screen size.I mounted the camera on top of my rear ladder.Ran the ONE wire down the underside of the ladder and along the underside of the Montana.Using plastic ties maybe ever 12 inches.Right up to the propane tank area.getting the wire to the king pin was a little tricky but I did it and so can you.if you need some more information on how I ran the wire from the front storage area to the king pin let me know.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Harleyrider, what you need now on the back of your Montana is one of those LED or neon signs that you can trigger from the driver's seat when you see someone following too closely, something like "Back Off, Turkey!"
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:46 PM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
PLEASE PLEASE Steve don`t give me any more ideas.Mmmm wonder where I can get one of those babies.laughing.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I installed a camera on my 2980. I find it most useful while underway. Seems like no matter how slow you go, there is always someone you eventually have to pass. The camera is great for determining when it's OK to pull back into the right lane, etc.

As far as backing in, I use it as one more tool to help. I always get out and make sure my intended line of travel is clear and that there aren't any obstructions I'm going to hit.

The unit I had on my motorhome had a clear grid overlay on the screen that was suprisingly accurate. The new unit on the 5'er doesn't have it (wish it did).
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote