Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #41
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
The grease goes out the same hole it comes out while packing them. The hub can't build up pressure inside.

mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #42
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mopar1

The grease goes out the same hole it comes out while packing them. The hub can't build up pressure inside.
I think that a grease zerk has a check valve build in to prevent that very thing. Most likely place is the rear seals.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #43
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mopar1

I think that a grease zerk has a check valve build in to prevent that very thing. Most likely place is the rear seals.
I do not want to sound gruff, but guys are not getting it. There is a separate hole in the end for the grease to come out of. pump the grease in, it goes through both bearings and when its full grease comes out the open hole.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #44
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
This has been posted before. But look at the Dexter EZ Lube diagram. You can see that there is a port from the zerk fitting to the rear of the hub. From there the grease flows thru the rear bearing, then thru the hub, to the front bearing, then out the front.
If pressure builds up, the grease would come out thru the front bearing, not out the rear seal or the zerk.
I lubed mine using the Dexter instructions. It did take nearly a tube per axle to get grease to fill the void and flow out the front. But after many miles thru very hot temperature driving conditions, very little grease has come out the front and the brakes still work fine indicating no grease has come out the rear.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote