Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Trip Question and Need Advise?

We HAVE to take a trip to Arizona for family business for 2 days and thought we would make a vacation out of it with the Montana. We are taking 3 weeks vacation time. After Arizona we were thinking about making a loop back home to Green Bay, Wis. through New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee back to Wisconsin were we live.

Are we trying to bite off more than we can chew here or do you all think that is feasible?

We know there is a lot of things to see in all of these areas and we will not have time to see it all properly. We are just planning on hitting the highlights like: Carlsbad Caverns, The Alamo, Houston Space Center, Memphis, etc. If we are biting off more than we can chew please feel free to let us know. I don't want to spend all of the time driving either!!

Thanks, Scott & Sue

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
That will depend on how many miles you are able to drive each day. As long as you are only looking to hit the highlights it is something you can do. However you will spending a lot of time driving. I think the answer is not what others can do but what can you and those traveling with you handle.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
You need to know your limits of energy vs time.

That trip would be several months for us, we move only in SLOW mo these days.

Trip route it, add up the mileage, divid by days and hours available, please add in sleeping hours .

Also, what time of year is this, factor in heat or cold temps. If this is in the summer, how will you fare in the much higher temps and humidity? Alabama in summer, unless you are on the Gulf, can be pretty warm, eh?

Again, your energy, your trip. Good luck and have FUN!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Don't forget the river walk in San Antonio. . .
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
The states you name are ones we most often travel in and through. One thing I will note. Since you are going to San Antonio and Houston, you will probably miss the best part of Texas: The northeast piney woods. Travelers who follow I-10 in the south, or I-40 in the north, are missing out on this good part of Texas!

You didn't mention New Orleans. If you've never been there you'd probably want to include it, though we avoid it on our trips.

I could comment on routes and campsites, but that would depend upon the places you'd like to include.

Last June/July we made a trip from East Texas to Maine, back through Lancaster, PA; Williamsburg, VA; Savannah, GA; before heading back home. That trip was over 4400 miles, and exactly three weeks. I estimate your trip might be a bit longer (about 4700 miles?) but travel through Arizona, New Mexico, and West Texas is very different from travel through New York, Vermont, PA, etc.

Anyway, I think your trip is entirely possible.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
If it was me I would just stop in Texas and do a big circle around Texas. Course I am biased lol lol.. I would sit down and plot a general course you want to take and then you can locate 4-5 must see places along the way. Then if you have time you can add in the little places you are gonna find a long the way. For example if you want to see The River Walk and the Alamo in San Antonio, then plot a course thru the Hill Country which is more like the real Texas. Sorry but the Piney Woods, although beautiful, looks just like Michigan, not Texas lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm with Carol and Al-- That trip from Green Bay to Arizona(you didn't say what part of the State) would take us at least four days to go down and that is from Nebraska and that is without stopping to see the sights along the way. It also depends on how long of a day you drive. We don't like to drive over 300-350 miles a day if possible. Setting up at in the dark is no fun! Then you have two days down there for business that is nearly a week as it is now. If you want to hit all those states and hit spots like Carlsbad, the Alamo, the Space Center, Memphis and points in between two weeks is all you have left and I frankly don't think you will have enough time for it all and the driving too. You can figure at least a day each at the spots you want to visit so that only leaves you a week to hit five states of interest and three or four others to drive through to get back to GB. Not something we would try and as Carol said "that would take us at least a two month trip if not more"! As Carol also said you didn't mention when this was going to take place. If it is in the summer, the Southwest can get really hot and you cannot make the time as normal either. Take your time and enjoy the trip instead of having to rush, rush, rush to get everything in and then get home and collaspe! Let us know what you decide! If you're coming through Omaha drop us a line and maybe we can meet for lunch, dinner or whatever also. Always good to meet fellow MOC members!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Just my 2˘, but if it was me I'd just do New Mexico and go back. Two weeks isn't enough to cover the cool stuff in any state and why make your vacation time more of a hassle and have more deadlines to meet than you do in your regular life. Vacations are supposed to be more fun than work.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
JMHO, but that would be too far for us in that length of time. I'd omit Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee, and visit them when it's cold up in your part of the country.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I just reread your post and you already have 4 major attractions listed. I would maybe just hit those or at least aim for them and then judge whatever else you might see along the way by the time left. The 4 things you have listed is very doable in the 3 weeks, and possibly even New Orleans thrown in if you don't get side tracked. But all the other states might be best left for another trip. That is unless you got a set of Grovers mounted on that truck of yours lol lol...I'm lookin for a set for my pickup now lol...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks for all of the input everyone! We are leaving May 18th and I have to be back to work on June 11th. The weather shouldn't be to warm then. We are heading to Kingman, AZ. first for family business for about 2 days and then the rest of the time is for US to enjoy.

I think you are all right about cutting out the states East of Texas. I don't want to beat us to death doing this.

Rondo - Would be great stopping and meeting you in Omaha. We will be going through there on our way down and I want to stop for a day in North Plat and see the big railyard there.

If anyone else has some great ideas of things or places to see please feel free to let us know! Also, Good campgrounds to stay at would be very helpful also!

Thanks for the Advise, Scott
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have been through all those areas. Much to see, most of which you will miss with that schedule. Without a specific itinerary, hard to offer any campground suggestions. For example, Are you going to Nashville? If so, stay at two rivers,and go to the Grand Ole Opry.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Looks like to me that you will have to go back to work to rest up. Lots to look at in all of the places that you want to visit plus fighting the summer traffic and crowds. I vote a couple months for that trip as a starter with no definet plan......JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
We just came back from a 5000 mile trip to the DC area. We were gone for 26 days. We visited Kan, Mo, Ill, Tenn, Va, Ma, Pa, WVa, Ind.
We found out that we tried to pack to much in at each location. So I would say see the sights but take time to rest also.
It is good to be home in Colorado.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We are beginning to think all of you are right about trying to do way to much! We are going to drive straight through to Arizona and then take our time returning back home to Green Bay via Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and Minnesota. There are enough things to see and visit along that route.

Thanks everyone for all of the imput. Really do appriciate it a lot. If any of you are located along those routes let us know and maybe we can share a campfire somewhere. If you have any suggestions on campgrouonds to stay at let us know that also!

Scott & Sue
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Here are a few quick thoughts: Colorado - Mesa Merde NP (must see) and Gunnisson NP (both have elec hookups, and Rocky Mtn Nat'l park (no hookups unless you stay at RV Parks outside.

Ogalla Neb - Lake McCaughahy State Rec area - I like the Lk Ogallala Campground - has elec (I mention this since its a day trip to N Platte for the rail road museum. Ft Kearney SP in Kearney NB. Elec sites, Ft Kearney is a nice visit then into Kearny to shop at Cabellas.

All 4 of these place are easy day drive from each other and generally make a good route in the direction that you indicated last. Just a few places to check out.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #17
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Scott and Sue, where will you be in Colorado? We live in Colorado Springs.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We are thinking about Stopping in the following places:

1) Durango - Ride the train and go to Mesa Verde.
2) Colorado Springs - Ride the Pikes Peak Cog Railway and see the sites.
3) Cheyenne - Visit Best Friend.
4) Kearny - Stop at Cabelas.
5) North Plat - Visit the UP Railyard
6) Omaha - Visit Museums and see sites.
7) Rest is open to whatever!