Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Short Bed-Slider Hitch- Standard Pinbox

Is anyone towing with a short bed truck and a standard pinbox on the Montana. When I upgrade my truck I'm considering a short box, but don't want to change the Montana to an extended pinbox, as I feel it puts more stress on the front of the trailer and may be causing the stress cracks some have developed.

Thanks,
Don

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We tow with a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quadcab shortbed.

We also have a crack at the bedroom slide.

We also have hit the rear window of the truck (okay, okay it was me that did it) with the Montana in a tight turn. Cost lot$ of money for bodywork on the truck before a new window could be installed and lot$ of money for the new window.

We still don't have a slider hitch. Hubby still thinks we don't need one, but I think we do.

(Actually..... I'd like to see a whole new clubcab truck with a longbed or a slider hitch).

Hope this helps.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:58 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I have always felt the extended pin box has caused problems even though my dealer assures me that it does not. To me it is pure physics of lever action.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:27 AM   #4
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Whats the length of the standard pin box? VS the extended pin box? does anyone know off hand?
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:22 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
From what I have read the extended kingpin adds approx. 9 inches to the length of the coach. I have only seen 1 coach being towed with a standard kingpin on a shortbed and he had the Superglide. I was not able to see it in use as he was already parked. The guy said it is really tight even with the Superglide and he still had to watch to make sure there was no contact between coach and rv.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:26 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I'll measure it since I had the regular pinbox put on at my last factory visit. I still have the extended one so I'll look.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:49 AM   #7
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
thanks, i was under the understanding that most all of the Montanas come with ext pin box's , it was never an issue about clearance, was just curious is all....
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:54 AM   #8
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
NJ Hillbilly,

If you have the 16" rims & 235x16 tires will you measure the center to center distance on your axles if it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks,
Don
Old 08-11-2004, 08:12 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The center of my axles are 35 1/2" apart with 3 1/2" between the tires.

The extended pin box moves the pin foreward 8".

John
Old 08-11-2004, 10:03 AM   #10
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Thanks to all of you for the responses and Hillbilly for the measurements.

Regards,
Don
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

The center of my axles are 35 1/2" apart with 3 1/2" between the tires.

The extended pin box moves the pin foreward 8".

John
Old 08-14-2004, 04:45 AM   #11
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by Searchers

Is anyone towing with a short bed truck and a standard pinbox on the Montana. When I upgrade my truck I'm considering a short box, but don't want to change the Montana to an extended pinbox, as I feel it puts more stress on the front of the trailer and may be causing the stress cracks some have developed.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Check this one:

http://www.popuphitch.com/rv5.htm

Comes from POP UP INDUSTRIES
220 W. 14th St.
Chanute Kansas, 66720
800-837-8578

I'm sure it wouldn't add as much lever to the front of the trailer frame as some of those much longer ball hookup adaptations.
Maybe I'm sure and maybe I'll think about that statement some more.

Interesting anyway.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:54 AM   #12
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Jim, I would not touch that with a 10 foot pole. That will add more torque to the hitch than an extended pin. I would get an extended pin from Lippert and maintain some kind of warranty protection. Adding an aftermarket device will remove any liability from Lippert and put the blame on the aftermarket part. The aftermarket part company will place the blame on the frame component that was not built "as good as our product".

Stick with the part from Lippert if You require an extended pinbox.

John
Old 08-16-2004, 04:12 AM   #13
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

Jim, I would not touch that with a 10 foot pole.
------------------------------------------------------------

SOUNDS LIKE GOOD ADVICE!!

I guess the next best thing after the more extended pin box would be a sliding hitch. Since I have had the sliding Reese it has caused me to wish I had bought an automatic adjusting hitch because of the noise and horrible jarring that occurs many times when extending or retrieving. I am going to start saving my change to buy an automatic extender of some type.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Searchers

Thanks,
Don
Searchers, all of the Montanas under some length have the extended pinbox nowadays. Was that not true in 1999 also? Mine doesn't come out any further than the nose of the Montana, or not much anyhow, but a non-extended pin would be way back a couple feet from the edge of the nose. Just wondering if the '99 models were different.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:25 PM   #15
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Steve, the leading edge of the pinbox on my rig is approximatly 7" behind the leading edge of the front cap, and the centerline of the pin 15". I ordered my unit and took delivery in March of 1999. When the dealer asked what I was going to pull it with he said "good" when I told him a long box. So, I guess either the extended pin wasn't available then or he just ordered it with the standard pin.

The first time we saw a Montana was at an RV show in Medford Oregon. It had a flat front cap and roof. I told him to call me if they changed the design to a rolled roof and curved cap. When they made the change we bought. I wonder if anyone on here has that first design? Mine may be the oldest of the group!
Old 08-21-2004, 05:42 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the info. I was having a hard time visualizing any of the Montanas having a truly non-extended pinbox except maybe the largest ones. But I didn't want to question whether you understood what an extended pinbox is or not, you know? It's really hard to tell online the knowledge level. You obviously know what you are talking about and I appreciate your reply, especially in the manner in which you provided it. Thanks. Sorry I can't help here. As RandomLine suggested, a slider is probably a good solution with the automatic slider being the choice I would make. Good luck. Hope you get this worked out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote