Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Laminate flooring

We've had some discussions on here concerning laminate on the slide floors. DW and I were out looking at boats, and ventured over to the RVs. We found this SOB that had laminate flooring thru out, even the slides. The slide floor laminate extended out over the main floor, and was trimmed with an edging of some sort. It was like plastic corner mold, but actually snapped up on the edge of the laminate. I suppose it was glued in place. Made a really nice transition.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I did it in my 3400, and I like it. If I did it again, though, I'd go with something with more texture and run it through a planer to reduce its thickness by at least a 16th.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
I have a question that would help me out. I have been toying with the idea of installing laminate flooring in my 2980RL. The large slide lifts before it starts coming in but the kitchen slide slides directly in to the trailer. I tried a piece of laminate on the floor over the vinyl thinking that the thickness of the vinyl would be about the same as the foam sheeting under a floating floor. I stood on the piece of laminate and started to bring in the kitchen slide and all it did was push me across the floor. It doesn't seem to have much clearance between the bottom of the slide and the floor. I could try a thinner laminate but I'm thinking that the sub-floor gives a bit when you walk on it and maybe a thin laminate is not the answer either.

Any comments would be appreciated.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
There is a product called "slide guides" cost about $40 and goes where the rollers are on slide, used on motor homes to ease wear on carpet. I have them for the lamnate flooring to help prevent scratching on the floor. I got mine at local RV parts store
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
Can you describe the slide guides- I did a google search and could not find a product matching your description. I'm interested in getting some for our 3400RL
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
It is a plastic strip about 5x36 long with a flange or lip on one end. It fits under the carpet and the lip hooks on the edge. So when the slide goes in and out it does not scratch the laminate or snag the carpet. I believe I have seen them in Camping world for around 45 and less at the RV suppliers. I saw them as a free standing illistrated display. I can check the locals here in Yuma to seeif I can get a better name,phone# if you want
bob
Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Not being too smart I finally looked at the glides!!! They are called slideout slicker,from Quick Draw Products and have a phone # 785-282-6366. Hope this helps
bob
Old 02-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
A friend of mine tried to install laminate in his Big Sky. As mentioned before the kitchen slide does not lift and bunched up his new flooring. Lucky for him he just had about three rows down when he decided to try the slide. He had to go with a different type of flooring (thinner).
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

A friend of mine tried to install laminate in his Big Sky. As mentioned before the kitchen slide does not lift and bunched up his new flooring. Lucky for him he just had about three rows down when he decided to try the slide. He had to go with a different type of flooring (thinner).
Yep, on those slides I think I would look at one of the thin vinyl plank flooring strips. I've seen both free floating and stick down varieties. Our L/D slide lifts about an inch so the laminates will work fine for us.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote