Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
re:Need New Tires

I want to say thank you to JimF, Orv, Steve, Glenn, LonnieB, Sailer and Imp.
That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I am in the process of getting prices and ease of access from tire shops in the two cites closest to us. Once I get things dialed in I will visit the shops and make sure they are selling me NEW tires.

Thanks Again,
Ray

The rubber is looking pretty bad on our '05 33" Mountaineer FW.
It has LT235 85 16 Tacomas on it now. I'm not sure if those were factory because we bought the unit used 1 year ago. I have noticed that the Michelins appear the be the Rolls Royce of tires but I was looking more down in the Buick range.In my online shopping I'm not seeing any ST tires only LT. Are most of you running LTs?

It has 6x16 rims on it, could I go to a 80 series instead of the 85?

I know to check the date code and get new metal stems. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I am running BFG Commercial TA's. LT's. The dealer I went through sold Michelins and that is what I wanted as I run them on the truck. He convinced me that the BFG would last as well at 2/3 the cost. Have about 8 to 10 k-miles on them, no problems. Good luck on this. Oh, I had the dealer match the tire size based on the diameter and thread width of the old tire. What I have is 1/4" taller and 1/2 inch wider.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Take a good look at the Bridgestone Duravis tires. So far, they have given me the best service of any brand I've used on any RV. I'm sure the tire guys, one of which is Glenn and the other is LonnieB (still actively selling tires in Falwell, TX), will be on the forum with their inputs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ray, Tacoma tires were OEM on Mountaineer and Montana for awhile so yours may be the original. I don't recall which years had them.

I put the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A on our prior Montana, a 2003 3295RK and was very happy with them. We didn't put a whole lot of miles on them before trading the rig, though. But they looked really good at that point. I think we only put about 9,000 miles on them. They were LT.

I'll never intentionally pay money for ST tires unless I am replacing just one and need to match the other tire on the axle. The reason is when you have a blowout it can be difficult to find a matching replacement tire on short notice. Montana even put LT tires on as OEM for a year or so not too far back.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ray, I won't discuss brands as there are way to many to chose from. But, I will say that you should stick with the LT23585R-16 E range. This is the size that came on your rig and it worked well for you and the previous owner. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Absolutely stay away from the STs. There's really nothing wrong with STs but trying to replace one can be a real pain in the butt. Most any "reputable" tire shop will either stock the STs or have very easy access to them.

I speak from from many many years in the tire business but that was a few years back and some things have changed but a tire is still a tire. LonnieB is still in the tire business and he should be able to give you some great advice on brands.
There is one thing that Lonnie and I fully agree on and that is when ever, where ever you buy tires ALWAYS buy from a "reputable" tire dealer and not from the department stores and the like that ALSO sell tires. Quite often their so called service techs are typically untrained and very inexperienced.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ray, You have been given some very sound advice from Jim, Orv, Steve, and Glenn. All I can add is that I personally will not own an ST rated tire, unless there is no way around it. My preferrence is the Bridgestone Duravis R500 commercial light truck tire. That's what I have on mine, and that's what I recommend to folks that want a dependable, heavy duty, long life tire. I have sold and installed many, many of these, and as far as I know, none have had any type of failure. They are a little expensive, around 180.00 apiece installed, but way cheaper than the Michelin XPS Rib. The BFG that Jim and Steve have spoken of is also an excellent tire as far as I know. I don't sell or use them, so I don't have first hand knowledge of their dependability, or longevity, just what I have read and heard.
Glenn hit the nail on the head about tire dealers. Go to a reputable shop, one that sells, installs, services, and stands behind their tires and their work. Not someplace that does it as a sideline.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I put 235/85/16 LT BF Goodrich on my 3000RK a 2006 and when we traded for a 3465SA 2009 in july of 08 we switched the tires as i wanted my BF Goodrich as they only had 3000 miles on and were better tan the chinese tires, who ever brand it is sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We had Tacoma tires on our 3400/2004 Montana. We knew we needed to get them replaced last year and hoped we would make it home before buying. We had 2 blow outs (a day apart) on our way back to TX last January with some damage to the rig. We had to buy a tire (which we now use as the spare) and then when we got home we replaced with Bridgestone. So far so good, but we haven't travelled much this last year. It did make a difference in driving. Make sure you get the new ones balanced.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Thanks for all this info on tires. My Mountaineer tirs are around six years old as I would say my 04 was built in 03 and that would make these tires six years old. I have Tacoma tires now and they have to last one more trip from Texas to MI., in the spring. The tires have been great but will go to a name brand. The other part of this is I have to replace all six tires on my truck.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #10
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Ouch!!!

Ray
Old 01-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #11
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Ray, Tacoma tires were OEM on Mountaineer and Montana for awhile so yours may be the original. I don't recall which years had them.

I put the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A on our prior Montana, a 2003 3295RK and was very happy with them. We didn't put a whole lot of miles on them before trading the rig, though. But they looked really good at that point. I think we only put about 9,000 miles on them. They were LT.

I'll never intentionally pay money for ST tires unless I am replacing just one and need to match the other tire on the axle. The reason is when you have a blowout it can be difficult to find a matching replacement tire on short notice. Montana even put LT tires on as OEM for a year or so not too far back.
We have an '05 Mountaineer that we bought new, and it came with the Tacoma tires as Steve said, so they're probably the originals. These seem to be a decent tire.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
HappyCampers, ours says it is an '05 but the bathroom layout is '04. We have not had problems yet and the tread is still good.
My concern is along with some "normal" weather checking I'm getting slits about 3/4" long, and they concern me. Plus if it was built in '04 then the tires are getting a little old.

Ray
Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackandh2o

the tread is still good.
My concern is along with some "normal" weather checking I'm getting slits about 3/4" long, and they concern me. Plus if it was built in '04 then the tires are getting a little old.

Ray
If you have cracks ("slits") in the sidewalls, replace them. Don't go by how much tread is left. When the sidewalls begin to crack they are deteriorating and becoming weak. When the tire heats up, the sidewall will split, causing a blowout. Don't take any chances. It's not worth the risk. I've been in many seminars where these types of tires have been displayed and show how weak the sidewalls become.

Orv
Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #14
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Orv, that is why I originally started this thread as I was gathering info on new tires. No, the Mountaineer isn't going anywhere till it gets new shoes.

Ray

PS, I will repost when I get them. As of now I'm leaning towards the BF Goodrich TA's. I have had Goodrich on 3 other vehicles and have always had good luck with them.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #15
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
As I'm looking at replacing the Missions on the Monty before our trip to Ohio this Summer, I have found this thread most informative.

Now, not to hijack it, but may I ask a question? I've noticed the ST rated tires are rated for 65 MPH. I tend to travel at or close to the speed limit, will E rated LT tires be better and safer at hiway speeds? I'm assuming they would be fine, as they are a vehicle tire, but it never hurts to ask the stupid question first.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gramps

As I'm looking at replacing the Missions on the Monty before our trip to Ohio this Summer, I have found this thread most informative.

Now, not to hijack it, but may I ask a question? I've noticed the ST rated tires are rated for 65 MPH. I tend to travel at or close to the speed limit, will E rated LT tires be better and safer at hiway speeds? I'm assuming they would be fine, as they are a vehicle tire, but it never hurts to ask the stupid question first.
I wouldn't even think of STs. They are very scarce and if you are on the road and need one you may be up a creek without a paddle (tire). Stick with the LTs.

Orv