Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Repo

The repo folks were in the Campgroud this morning. They took away a car, fairly new, and a 5th wheel that was parked in a permanent site. They only had a wrecker with them and they knocked on my door and offered me $100.00 if I would hook up and pull the 5th wheel to Lakeland ,Fl with my truck. I refused but someone else in the campground took them up. I asked why they did not bring a truck with the proper hitch to pull the the 5th wheel and he said they could not find enough trucks to pull the number of repos their company was doing.. My glimpse of reality for today..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
How many miles did they want you to pull the 5th wheel for $100.00?

I wouldn't do it either......I'd feel a little like a "snitch"
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
"Michael" came to my door to ask about the slides on that 5th wheel. Apparently, one slide came in and the other would not. I gave him my little hand crank to use. Didn't ask what he was doing specifically. Guy seemed a little creepy. I was making plans mentally on how to replace that crank from Keystone... I just figured that someone was sick and someone need their car and 5ver towed somewhere to another park.

BTW, Rich, that was lot C3. Now I'm curious... I'll turn Cheryl loose. She'll get the info we need.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cmp-shooter

How many miles did they want you to pull the 5th wheel for $100.00?

I wouldn't do it either......I'd feel a little like a "snitch"
Not to mention liability issues...what would happen if you wrecked the trailer and were at fault???
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Rich, you didn’t mention what brand it was but I sense it wasn’t a Montana. You never know with the economy as it is today when things might hit a little closer to home!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The Repo business is very busy now, but hold on it will really get busy after the 1st of Jan. GM is tanking and Ford is going down also, shares for GM were $2.42 and Ford was $1.42. What a mess never ever seen it this bad. Kinda looking at Motor Homes but are scared to go there. Maybe in 4 years or so. And just think Oil started this down turn, along with people spending more that they make. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
GMAC is in grave danger. Big problem there.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Funny but I was reading an article a couple of weeks ago stating the repo business was in decline. Loan companies are doing anything to NOT have to repo a vehicle. The thrust of this article was that they would take almost any amount of money as a payment to allow you to keep the car/truck. They can't get rid of the vehicles either.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Interesting tidbit I picked up somewhere

They have something I think they call trickle down jobs???

whatever, they call it,

for every job on wall street and banks that they "bailed" out with our tax $$, they also saved 2 more (created from the bankers)

the auto industry, creates 10 jobs for every 1, 10 more trickle out.

I have no idea where the numbers come from, if they are accurate, but seems I have heard that number before??? so???

please don't shoot the messenger. (that would be ole Carol)

bummer on that repo, what if that unit had all your early possessions in it?? goodness, now, there is a real nightmare. SIGH That car was not on the same lot as the 5er was it???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lakeland, Florida is 31 miles from here. The following ran through my mind.

If they came to repo a 5h wheel why didn't the have the proper equipment.
How did I know they were not stealing the unit.
What if he folks that were losing the unit were unhappy about it. Did not want my truck shot full of holes.
I would be pulling for hire and although I have a CDL my truck does not have a commercial sticker on it.

First and foremost I didn't want to aid a repo company in any way

I did call the office and they were here with consent. No it was not a Montana
Old 11-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
You did the right thing for sure. Playing dumb sometimes is the thing to do. You did nothing so you are not involved in it.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
The Orlando/Orange County FL auto auction site on Highway 50 near Winter Garden is busting at the seams with vehicles, campers, etc. In all my time in the central part of FLA have I ever seen so many vehicles. It is overflowing. Am sure many other areas of the country have the same problem. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You should see the construction equipment auction area at I-4 and exit 58. It was big last year and it is twice as big this year.Hundreds and hundreds of construction equipment at public auction.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We had a friend lose his Harley, his F350 and his 07 Big Horn to the repo guys just this past October. Just over a year ago he had lost his job as head of maintenance at a now defunct plant in Mass. His wife is a nurse an makes decent money but not enough to support their lifestyle without his income. They got a divorce this past summer.
Blame it on this rotten economy? Yes, that's probably why he lost his job BUT he was offered 4 other jobs that I am aware of. Two in construction but that was too dirty. One as maintenance in this very RV Park. Didn't pay enough. One at Lowes. That too didn't pay enough. His attitude was anything below his previous pay scale as department supervisor was beneath him.

OH yeah, After is was all said and done, the only remorse he seemed to have was loosing his Harley.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:38 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I see that answer, I want work for that, its not enough. When that hunger hits you, then you will go to work. Again when you live above your means, the REPO man will show up. There are jobs out there, you just have to get with the program. The job may not be what you want but, you can look for a job when you have a job. The day is comming very soon what ever job you can find will be a good job. As Dave Ramsey saids, go get a job were ever you can find one and then get another job. Just look north whats going to happen. And a lot of those $40.00 to $75.00 dollar and hour jobs are in trouble. I seen all that construction equipment several years ago. And we are going to see more, until we get out of this mess. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #16
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
The storage lot we keep our Monty in sent me an additional Doc's to sign(under the statement that the docs were missing from our file). After reviewing they wanted me to release them from any liability from damage to the Monty and at the same time I was to give them (Bob's) authorization to move our Monty without any limitations(semi on topic as it was gound work for the repo man). I dove over to the lot and told under no condition would I sign and that I had allready signed a contract and was not going to move. The Montana's still there.

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Anyone see the Andy Cap cartoon where he is being denied a loan> He admits that he isn't very financial savvy and doesn't manage his money very well and gets in trouble. He then looks at the banker and says, "And what's your excuse?".
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MacDR50

Anyone see the Andy Cap cartoon where he is being denied a loan> He admits that he isn't very financial savvy and doesn't manage his money very well and gets in trouble. He then looks at the banker and says, "And what's your excuse?".
That's easy... "GREED".
Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #19
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
That is it in a nut shell for sure Dave. Greed and it starts at the top.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote