Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
My Stupid

Yesterday returning from long weekend. Got into a crowded parking lot, my first mistake. Had my eye on a certain spot and was carefully working my way there and just as I was withing a stones throw someone pulling a Cougar jumped in. Well, never mind, I decide to go around him and sit beside his rig. While doing so and carefull watching my drivers side clearance I completely forgot to watch for his rig on the passinger side. Stupid, stupid, stupid is me! Crash, thankfully at a snails pace. Sick to the stomach feeling as we get out to inspect the damage. Fortunately no damage to other rig that was owned by a great couple who understand stupid and only a broken entry handle and dented door to our rig. I hit in the best place I could have to minimize damage but still cannot figure out just what the heck was I thinking???

Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Sometimes things happen for reasons not understood at the time... Maybe this little incident was a sign that you are not being as attentive as you should be and in doing so may miss something at a greater speed or more dangerous situation and cause yourself greater loss???.....as they say..Everything happens for a reason!
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad no one was hurt and damage was small. Don, covers it. I know this more after dealing with my parents problems.
I am sure you have already done this by your post but set a check list even when driving, especially in tight spaces and work it. I remember the driving school instructor: (check mirror, check speed, check the intersection, check the car in front, etc.)
Thanks for posting this and reminding us to pay attention to what we are doing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A thread on "dumb things we have done" would be dozens of pages long. I happens to all of us and we hope we learn from it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dumb is as dumb does, and I've dumbed a lot.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am finding that I am most inclined to make a mistake at the end of the day or at the end of a trip when I am tired. I now try to take lots of time and at a snails pace as you did. It does minimize the damage. We try to make a team effort by getting Dianna out to spot me on tight fits. All that said, I have a small scratch on the door handle and a 6"rub on the awning from a too close encounter with a tree.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Jim, we have been fortunate thus far with our Montana 3400 that I think is about 38' long.

I really believe though that "my stupid" is universal to all of us and doesn't just reside in Nova Scotia!! Thank God you are safe and the damage sounds minimal. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hey Dennis..get out your tape measure and put it to that 3400..Surprise...surprise..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
That would be like a "been there, done that" category! Just glad no one was hurt and damage was minimal! Thank your lucky stars for that!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I believe the Montana 3400 is a few seconds short of 40' as near as I can tell, Tks Rich..Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al makes me get out of Big Butt frequently to spot Tana and Big Butt and us! He says he would rather be embarassed than repairing booboos.

So, far, KNOCK ON, well, you know, we have not done any damage to Tana, but, ohhhh, could I tell you a story about a bike rack, and a front porch and backing out of a parking lot cross 2 lanes of traffic (speed limit at least 50 MPH). And, I was out there, course, he could not hear me screaming. Next purchase was a set of CB's.

Yep, we have all done some stuff we are not thrilled with, but, that is how we learn. And, thank you for sharing, so that we all get a good reminder.

Stay safe out there, and glad there is not significant damage.

Cheers.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Our STUPID only cost about $3300 to repair after a close encounter with the corner of a flat bed trailer in a Love's. Luckly insurance picked up the tab and we have a new rule about who drives in diesel stations! Guess who is the authorized driver!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glad to hear you escaped "almost" unscathed. I have a little boo boo on our 3400 that we got the very first trip. Every once in a while, the stupid bug bites. The last two near disasters happened in campgrounds. Almost pulled out without shutting the hitch latch and the other day I stopped as I was exiting a campground and did a walk around - flat tire. Both could have been disasters and both were avoided because that little voice in the back of my head said "check it". Can't quite say the same thing for the flip up door under the bedroom slide.

The good thing is, no one was hurt.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Been there, done that and yes it was stupid on my part.
Our 3485 is 4 feet longer than our old 2955 and that little detail escaped my brain on our first adventure. While pulling away from the pumps at a Flying J I was concerned about a car on my right side. As I was pulling out I knew I had the clearance to miss this car and started turning to the right. All of a sudden I felt a pump and the rear of the trailer actually moved to the right. Now remember I was turning right and the rear overhang of the trailer should be swinging left and not right. Well you know those 40" high steel pipes and full of concrete at the corners of the island? You guessed it. I rubbed the side of Monty with that pipe and I nearly ripped the cap off the back of the Monty. At first the damage looked serious but with a little bit of elbow grease and some repairs by Keystone last fall you would never know I was that stupid.

I was very fortunate as my stupid ended not costing me one penny.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 AM   #15
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I've got a new appreciation for stupid now. Good to see how all you guys and gals handled your moment and yes, it is a good reminder to read others misfortunes and perhaps keep us on our toes a bit more. I know I definitely had a wake up call. Still shaking my head though at my brain cramp but as we have all noted, I got away cheap and very fortunate.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote