Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Mission Replacements from Tireco

Hearing about all the concerns with Missions and an upcoming trip to Alaska, we called Team Montana about our concerns with the Missions. They gave us Tireco's number to call. John told them we had some separating on the tires and we were concerned about them going bad and damage to the fifth wheel. We were told to get the DOT# from the tires and call back and they would send us 5 new tires. They have sent 5 new tires, but I am not sure they are worth putting on. John told them we didn 't want anything from China and the rep said we would get whatever they had in the warehouse at the time. We received Milestone's, M108 Tubeless, Load Range E, 10 play, rated for 3520 lbs, ST235/80R16. And they say on the side Made in China. Are the tires worth putting on. Thanks, Karen and John

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I've been looking at a few new models both Montana, BS & SOB.

Here is a reply from the SOB company (I wish Keystone would reply to problems like this):

Responce from SOB:
"William,
We are currently using 3520lb capacity E-range Dura Automotive tires.
They come with lifetime roadside assistance. We have had zero problems with them since switching to them in December '07. We switched from a Towmax tire. Your dealer can switch out tires once the unit arrives on his lot if you choose to do so.

Thank you."

Again here is a company that steps up to the plate when their customers are having on going problems and delivers a solution.

I've never had any difficulties yet but some have. I like this reply a LOT!
Just food for thought maybe Keystone needs to look at the competition again. That is what made them better in the first place.

Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Karen, I am going to try the replacements, and hope for the best.
Chuck, I got right to the nice folks at Tireco, they are sending me 5 new ones, should be here in 3 days.
Pretty good service from the people Keystone picked to supply our tires. (Or warranty them, however that works.) I liked their attitude and service.
He told me he could refund the money I spent on the new tire, or send 5 tires, he even asked if it tore up anything. It didn't.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Ozz,

Guess if you can put the tires on we can too. I was hoping Lonnie, the tire guru, would respond and tell me these are great tires. Of course, that is not what I am expecting him to say. I have been reading all the concerns about everything made in China. I googled the Milestones and saw that they were being replaced with Nanco's or Naco's or something like that. Others were having problems with the Milestones put on Keystone rigs. Maybe these Milestones are better tires since they are 10 ply. I do agree, the service provided by Tireco was excellent. We had them in about 3 days. Came home one day and found them stacked behind our gate.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Sorry John, I wasn't ignoring the question, I guess I was just waiting to see where it would go. My personal opinion of the ST rated tires, whether they be Mission, Power King, Nanking, Milestone, Freestar.......etc, is not good. I don't even use them on my little 14 foot utility trailer that never sees a load heavier than 1400 pounds.

If it were me, I would get rid of them and install something I didn't have to constantly worry about. JMO.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Thanks Lonnie. That is what I thought you would say. I was not unappreciative that Tireco replaced the tires...........but I would rather get a credit towards something decent than to replace junk with junk. And I don't want the tires coming apart and tearing up the rig like David and JoAnna's and some others have had happen or worse yet getting injured or killed with these tires. I also do not want to take off for Alaska with inferior tires. When I googled the Milestone's, all I read on forums was the same problems we are having with the Mission's. Thanks for your help. John
Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yet there are many many folks who never had a problem with the Mission tires.We traveled over 12K interstate miles on ours without incident. We did replace them as we felt that 12 K miles or so with another possible 12 K miles this year was enough for ANY OEM tire. OEM tires on this price range of units are "cost effective" and most users do not put the high speed interstate miles on them that a lot of us do. We also replaced ALL the rubber valve stems on the Mission tires the first month of ownership as they had a history of leaking and perhaps causing many of the mission tire failures. IMO the OEM tires, rims and valve stems are very weak points for folks who who do a lot of road miles and perhaps there should be a Tire/wheel upgrade available to folks who feel the need.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good call, Rich on the valve stems, I put metal ones in when we first got the Monte. We all do what we can to help from having problems. I will be putting in metal ones on the new ones.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687

Rich.........That is a good point..........we need to replace the valve stems. Also, it is true that the tires would probably be fine for some that don't put as many miles on them. An optional upgrade would be great for those of us that put high speed interstate miles on our tires. We put 8000 interstate miles on last summer and will put that many on going to Alaska this summer on the interstate and rough roads. Because we almost always drive on the highway, we make sure we have good tires ..... uusally Michelan or Goodyear.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Perhaps that is something we can bring up at the fall rally????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think I'll be calling Tireco. I haven't had any failure, but I think they know they're setting on a time bomb. Keystone needs their a$$ rated over the coals for putting such crap on these units also. They know when they buy that cheap Chinese crap what they are getting. Sorry for the rant, but this issue just pisses me off.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
So what are we to think of the current "Goodyear Marathon" tires that are on the 08s? They are made in China, but carry a respected U.S. brand name. They are LT load range E. Does that mean Keystone has seen the light and corrected the situation?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
The problem is that Keystone/Tireco is replacing the Missions on our units with Milestones.....all made in China...........and seems like one is not much better than the other except the Missions are 8 ply and the Milestones are 10 ply. And John says he had Goodyear Marathons on his last trailer and they were junk.