Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Air Hitches

I am in the market for an air ride hitch. I am familiar with the Hensley Trail-Saver. Are there any others that I should be looking at? Anyone have the Trail-Saver, and if so, what do you think about it (other than pricey)....

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I have had Trailer Saver on previous trucks and have one on my big pick up now. They are well made and provide a good ride for the trailer, truck and folks in the tow vehicle. There are other manufactures, Mountain Master and Air Safe to name a couple. Happy Hunting.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have a TRAILER-SAVER hitch and would recommend it to anyone. It smooths the ride between the tow vehicle and the 5ver. Yes they are pricey but worth to me every cent of it. Would I recommend it to you absolutely YES. Also you might want to think about EQUA-FLEX for the camper unless you have Mor Ride. It even makes the ride better yet. The roads are in very dire need of repair or replacement in this country and it is not getting any better. The need for air hitches/pin boxes are very much a thing to look at. The powers that take care of the roads seems to be looking the other way.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We have a Trailer-Saver and we LOVE that hitch! You don't feel the trailer back there. Phil, you are fulltiming and will get a lot of comfortable miles out of a Trailer-saver hitch. I thank Orville Schinke (MOC ols1932) every time I hitch-up for his very good advice to buy a Trailer-saver.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Grant,
Thanks for the kind words. But as people get to know me they find out that if I like something I'm usually very outspoken about it. Sure, the Trailer Saver is expensive. But if you're like me I believe you get what you pay for.

We've had our Trailer-Saver for five years now and wouldn't be without it. It will definitely go on our next tow vehicle if and when I'm ready for one.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I've got it and as stated before "it's worth every penny". DW has a neck injury so the "chucking" was something that had to go. Trailersaver said it would and they were right. As for adding add'l products we haven't yet. If things change we definitely will add what ever is needed. If you can't ride or drive in comfort than travelling becomes painful, if painful then nobody is having fun. It was money well spent. Look into the "smartair" unit it comes with the compressor built in and maintains the air volume automatically. No fuss No muss.
HTH
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
exav8tr, I have owned several steel hitches, 1 Reese, 2 Huskey/Valleys's and a Trailer Saver the TS was without doubt the best hitch of all. I used it on three different Trucks,2 3500 and the 4500 the ride with all was awesome. I also had the Mor/Ryde pin box and the Mor/Ryde suspenion. The only problem is the hitch is very heavy and when or if you want to remove it you will need help. I have a John Deere tractor for lifting things.

I now have the B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch, and think for the price it is doing great. I am now using the Trailair pin box and the equa flex suspension. So for so good and the hitch can be removed in 10 minutes by one person and it converts to a gooseneck hitch, when removed the bed is clean. Just food for thought for someone who doesn't need the Trailer Saver. I would for sure buy another Trailer Saver air ride hitch if I needed one. Good Luck on your decision. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:55 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
If my research is correct Delaine, the Companion is a rigid hitch and does not have an air element to it. I like the idea of a clean bed, but I want a better riding unit most of the time. As I full time, I don't see much need to have a flat bed anymore. Does your Companion give you a better ride?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote