Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Oil in Turbo

I have found oil in the turbo charger of my 02 7.3L diesel. 60k on the truck and 5 years is up 9 July. Took it to the dealer and they replace the boots and that was it. It is still leaking, even though the new boots did reduce the issue. I am mechanically challenged so let me ask a dumb question: am I right in thinking that the turbo is basically a sealed system and that any oil found in there should not be there and replacing the boots (inter cooler hoses?)actually only keeps the engine clean on the outside but does nothing for the problem. It looks to me as if there is oil on the inside of the turbo that the turbo needs to be replaced because there is a leak somewhere in it or coming into it? I have an appointment at 7:30AM at the dealer and know I am in for some kind of a hassle (although I pray not) that I am not really equipped to deal with. If I am right, it is too bad the truck doc is not close to me (WA) to take my place at the dealer Monday morning.

Mike

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Mike, I don't know about this but I believe if you post that question on www.thedieselstop.com, that you will get an answer. Seems to be a lot of diesel "experts" there.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:22 AM   #3
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Mike this is not unusual. There will be oil residue. But usually the blue boots dont need replacing unless there is a tear in them. sometimes the clamps will get out of shape and have to be replaced. this is easily done. every once in a while , especially when towing up a fairly steep long grade, a blue boot will come off this is caused by an oily film inside the boot and on the pipe, if it happens pull over where its safe (you will lose power also) get out a 7/16 wrench or deep socket its easily put back on. then when you get home, take the boot off, clean the inside with alcohol, and the pipe. If you see a sooty oil residue around the boots and pipe on the outside then you have a leak. just take off boot and clean. tighten down clamps tight as you can. you should check these clamps pretty offten, and may have to replace a clamp. a leak will cause you to lose boost. hope this helps, always worked for me
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
When you say oil "IN" the turbo ... do you mean you took the air tube off the turbo and looked inside or are you refering to an oil "seep" outside on the turbo and intercooler boots? As mentioned, a little oil seep on the boots is normal. Unfortunately the way the crankcase vent on top of the drivers side rocker box is designed causes a small amount of oil to be drawn into the intercooler/turbo circuit. This seeps out the boots. There is a modification for around $70 that routes the crancase vent back behind the engine and terminates toward the rear axle. This gets rid of alot of the seeps around the boots and oil contamination of the intercooler. On the other hand, if your talking about a puddle of oil, then I'd say there is a problem somewhere. I doubt if your turbo has come unsealed internally, it would either be seized up by now or you will be trailing blue smoke. Externally on the turbo pedistal, there are 2 O-Rings that sometimes fail and cause an oil leak dripping down into the intake valley. Sorry for the rambling ... it could be any of the above.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
just as Dieselguy told you about the CCV modification, it does eleminate the oily residue in your boots and pipe...heres the mod for it..very simple
http://superdutydiesel.com/wiki2/tik...hp?articleId=5
Old 06-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I said I wouldnt do anymore of these "mod" posts, so guess this the last one, thanks much
Old 06-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Dieselguy is close. The breather tube can put a very small amount of oil in the intake tube. If is puddleing that is too much. If the oil leaks out the turbine (exhaust) side it will smoke visibly. On the other hand if it is leaking on the compressor side (intake) it will simply burn the oil and until it gets to critical stages you would not notice any smoke. One way to determine if it is breather or turbo is to take tubes off at turbo and with eng off feel inside of housing on pressure and inlet side. Feel inside of tubes by breather and outlet follow the oil. Also while your there feel the "end play" on the shaft. There should not be more than a few thousants movement. The two most common causes are old age and not properly cooling turbo before shutdown. If you have a lot of blowby from the breather it is a sign of engine wear. If there has been a lot of leakage you probably need to flush out the air to air cooler.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Just as dieselguy suggested the tech needs to check the turbo for end play and how loose the bushings are in the turbo. If the turbo is bad it needs replaced before the warranty runs out. If it is needed after the warranty is out you might think of a ball bearing turbo. Turbos are not cheap. If still in warranty have it repaired now.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Mike I hope all went well for your truck today, I think you said you were taking it to get it checked for your turbo heres something you can look at and study over it may help
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/public...er%20Guide.pdf
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Tom41s doc hit it on the head. The turbo turned out not to be bad (praise the Lord). But guess what, when I went to clean out my truck from my PacBrake install by a local RV dealer (they left the box in the back seat where I had the part), I found out they did not install the torque converter lockout. It was still in a sealed box. So tomorrow I get to go and have them finish the install. They told me today that it was billed as 3 hours for the converter. I asked the service writer to answer a questions. If I called you and you told me the parts I needed to order (this saved me $250) and then I asked you the charge to install and you told me 6 hours, how can you now add 3 hours for the converter install. I was told we will talk about it when you get here tomorrow. Jeez. We will find out tomorrow what happens.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #11
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Mike , sure glad you got good news there! thats service writers for ya mike, LOL, but just hold his toes to the fire . good luck
Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #12
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Hey! It didn't cost me anything for the completion of the job. No arguments or what. I walked in this morning, the writer said she checked and they bid the job with the time for the converter lockout included and there would be no charge.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #13
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Mike you came out real good, now dont forget to throw a few extra "bucks" in the offering plate this Sunday lol!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Sounds like a "deal" to me!