Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Keystone Suggestion Box

Hat's off to Keystone! I have got polite responses to all of my suggestions for improvements using the Montana web page.

They recently responded to the under the fridge storage door. They have restrictions due to the AC plugs located in there for the fridge (storage can't lay against them). However they may look at a drawer install for that area.

I have not dealt with another brand that is so open to customer feedback, and I'm impressed. I try to keep in mind that each change is a significant cost to them, and the change needs to give them an edge over competition. A good idea to me may not necessarily be a good idea to the large body of consumers, and only Keystone can make that judgement.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Thank you Brad for communicating with them.
By being involved you are helping to make a better product for all of us!
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
When he met with all of us at the Northeast Rally Friday night, Mark Krol was very eager to get suggestions from everyone on improvements we felt should be made to the Montanas, and he seemed pleased that many of the suggestions we made would not be expensive for Keystone to implement. Hope he persuades Aram to adopt many of them.

Unfortunately for Sven, and fortunately for those who like the laundry basket under the hall steps, Sven's lobbying effort to get rid of the laundry basket collapsed when he asked for a show of hands and most people voted in favor of the laundry basket. Sorry Sven. LOL!!!!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Yeah, the basket is cool but for the uninitiated its also an entrance for thieves. since the basement access door key is universal. My wife would favor the basket forever and it takes up zero useful space but I, for one, gotta change my locks.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Changing locks on the basement doors doesn't help much since a simple screwdriver will pop those door open in very short order. The best protection is a full basement that a thief would have to empty. Neighbors might notice. Another thing you can do is open a door across the laundry chute. On some models you can just slide the pocket door across. Other models that doesn't work. I tried once and with a door opened there was no way I could open the chute door enough to manipulate the door out of the way.

Most thieves not familiar with Montanas will not even know the laundry chute is there. If they want in they'll get in through the front door or a window.

All purely my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Steve--we're planning to go along with your first line of defense against thieves getting in thru the laundry chute--we're going to load up the basement sooooooooooo full that no self-respecting thief would think of spending the time and effort to dig thru it all to climb up thru the laundry chute. LOL!!!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
I agree Brad. Mike Spencer was very responsive to all my suggestions and the 2008 model now includes satellite prep and an option for the satellite dish. I also asked them to install an inside switch for the water heater and that is now included. Someone else may have asked as well, but as long as it is not costly or they believe someone will pay for the option they are including it. I would love that drawer under the fridge.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I removed my laundry basket and have a big cooler under the trap door. The cooler has a trap door that lines up with the bedroom trap door and we keep all our bottled water and other beverages in the big cooler. We find with the Splendide W/D, it is best to do a small load of laundry every day and we never used the basement hamper because a small hamper next to the W/D unit is so much more convenient.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
yes the laundry basket takes up some basement space but a laundry basket somewhere else in the camper would also take up space. we would rather have the laundry basket where it is.Also we are fooling ourselves if we think we can keep a thief out of our campers changing locks on the basement doors is like locking a paper bag.We did not have a drawer under the fridge in our 06 3400..It took about 1/2 hour and maybe 5.00 to convert to a drawer.We have not locked ourselves out of our camper yet but it is bound to happen sooner or later so I do not want the bathroom door blocking the laundry chute and have to rip that off to get in. I would like the inside switch for the electric hot water heater..can not believe they put it outside. We will make it be inside soon.Yes Keystone does listen and ask questions and that is a good thing.Many of us have been asking them to improve quality and workmanship for a long time and there is little movement in that area because that would cost some serious money.That it might make for a better product and perhaps increased sales seems to escape them. However as long as we are willing to talk and make suggestions and they are willing to listen..well..that is a good thing,
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I've already locked my self out of ours and had to use the laundry door for access. You have to be pretty limber to crawl up through there. The dogs were really surprised when I popped my head up there. They didn't know what to think, just kept barking until they realized who it was. I agree about the locks. If they want in, they will get in.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With only a propane switch inside for the water heater and the electric element switch being outside behind the water heater cover, we just leave that outside one turned on all the time. Since the breaker inside the unit for the water heater has only the water heater on that circuit, we just use the breaker as the inside switch. I'd rather have the real switch inside, but the breaker makes a workable substitute. Using the breaker does not weaken it since it is not being tripped electrically, any more than flipping a light switch on the wall weakens that switch. The only time I turn off the electric element, even at the breaker, is when I need to drain the tank for whatever reason.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sharp, Steve. Just what I do, another switch would be redundant. Only thing is that if the heating element is under load, or heating, it will arc the breaker contacts, so try and shut it off with no power to the RV, or after it heats and cycles off.
No more than we use it for that purpose, I wouldn't worry.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 AM   #13
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We've been impressed with the fact that Keystone solicits suggestions from their customers and has acted on some of those suggestions. When we have been looking at Montanas I always suggest to the sales person that if they want to learn about the product they are selling, they should monitor MOC. It's a good way for them to learn the "good, bad and ugly" and to have a heads up on some of the problems encountered and maybe make their service department's job a little easier.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 AM   #14
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
It seems alot of ppl lock themselves out quit often. Why not put a hide a key in the lp area or in the hitch someplace. I have one for the truck and trailer under my tow hook of the truck. You can get it in there and it won't slide back. Just a thought.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #15
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Now jsmitfl...as long as thieves don't read this forum...you're good to go...LOL

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote