Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Roadster31
Established Member

M.O.C. #5548
Unwanted Critters

This my first winter with an RV stored in the back yard. What do you all do to keep the mice out?? I am going through a packet of decon in a week. I looked at the sonic repellers but I think with the slides in it would block the sound waves. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I have heard that the drier sheets (bounce, etc) help.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Spreading a few mothballs around is supposed to work. But don't use too many. On our old 1985 Wilderness FW I thought more would be better. It took months to get rid of the mothball smell the next season. In prior years I used just three or four and no odor the next year. We had no mice but I don't know if the mothballs were the reason.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
One obvious answer is to plug up the holes in your unit.

We have had rigs since 1984 or so, and parked them on the grass, on the pavement, in a barn yard, all kinds of places, and until this year NEVER had a mouse. This year, parked on the blacktop at home got one, a momma. So, ya, there were a couple of youngsters along for the ride too.

We have never done anything special, no mothballs, no dryer sheets, no nothing. Now we have sticky traps in the holes under the drawers and Al spent some time grumbling and plugging up holes.

Does not seem to matter, from the reports here, if you are living in your unit full time, part time, long time or if it is parked. If they decide to pay you a visit, they are gonna do just that.

For some reason, this year was particularly bad around here, the ants were out in force earlier in the year, never saw so many. Lots of people reporting mice and other critters.

BLAHHHHHHHHHHH to em all!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have used Bounce sheets throughout for about 10 years now, in cupboards, under sinks,on floor, etc and NO MICE!!!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We use one of those electronic plug in things. So far no mice. Have had this in there for year and half. Also we take all the food out when we are not using it.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dusty,

Ya, know, that was what was so weird about the mice in Tana this summer, she did not eat any food (well a bit of dog food in the bottom drawer). But, she did make mince meat of a plastic table cover, where she shreadded it for a nest.

We probably found her fast enough, and wasted no time setting traps once we found the evidence.

All in all, my reaction: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Last winter we used the dryer sheets and Moth Balls did not work also used decon I think that is what attracts them. Pluged some holes this year and and no decon will see!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We had a mouse this summer--dryer sheets were being used--I think they just made a nice bed for the mouse. The mouse ate on my new kitchen towels. this winter we are using moth balls around the landing gear and Bounce sheets inside. just checked it today and no signs of Mr. Mouse.(or Mrs). We do have some sticky traps inside, just in case. I don't want to have to wash everything again.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Best thing you can do is crawl underneath and plug all the holes you find. Under the sink there is a monster hole where all the water lines, fresh water tank hose, 2 inch heat hose and some drain lines go to the sub-floor. You have to plug that big hole with steel wool or whatever else you think will keep out the mice. I used electricians duct seal for the small holes, and the steel wool for the big ones. I had a mouse, and trapped it, and never had another problem..now that I am bragging about that, I probably will have another infestation! ha!ha!
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I put out mothballs under the coach during the summer. Place Bounce sheets in all the drawers and cabinets, and under furniture. Also use the sonic plug in things. This will have been my 2nd year mouse free since using these items. Seems to work.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I made up some hardware cloth about three feet six inches long and two foot wide made a bow out of the screen and put in over each tire. That keeps the little critters from climbing up on the tire's and jumping to the angle frame.. I also took RICHFAA's Idea of gorilla tape over any openings between the frame and under cover where some area's have a little opening. So far no critters. Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:37 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, don't forget the opening by the rear stabilizers. That squirrel we had used that opening to get into the belly, also.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:05 AM   #14
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
We've been fighting mice ever since we got the rig. We live in a heavily wooded area and have the trailer parked in a grassy area.
Tried the bounce and mothballs and found that the only thing they did was to leave a horrible smell inside the trailer that usually took all summer to exhaust.
My solution was to close all holes that I could get at with steel wool, remove power cord that ran from cabinet through rear wall and rewired outdoor power receptacle. Placed baited traps with peanut butter under sink. My greatest pleasure is to find them in the traps and disposing them in the woods knowing that they are permanently removed, also place decon in battery compartment, this is usually emptied in a two weeks time, it has considerably slow the inside action.
Well I guess I better head off to check the traps!!!!
Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:17 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We used decon under the sink, behind the couch, and in the basement. We found the box behind the couch empty, and the little guy had put all the screws from our light fixtures that fell off, caps from the wall trim screws, and any other little piece of the Monty he could find back in the Decon box for us. Thank you mouse.

Last spring I pulled the lover cover off by the pin box to check welds. My son and I were showered with a mountain of those little green Decon pellets. The mice weren't eating them at all, just running around with them. We ended up finding the pellets everywhere. We surrendered on the Decon idea. Also heard if Decon makes them search for water, they will start attacking the plumbing.

JM2CENTS

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:18 AM   #16
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Found and had the same problem with the green pellets scattered all about. Replaced Decon pellets with the solid Decon green bar, something like a bar of soap. Hopefully they will gnaw off the bar and go outside and be done with. We have been lucky so far that we haven't found any dead ones inside with the exception of those in the traps. Three in the traps so far and still checking and counting.
Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote