Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
What's wrong with North Dakota?

I see the little USA states visited maps most cross country travelers post on their signature blocks have the State of North Dakota not filled in. I realize, after being stationed there for over 13 years, that there are not many tourist attractions there but when I see all the surrounding states filled in I wonder if people are deliberately avoiding North Dakota.

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I don't think it's the lack of tourist activities...it's winter in ND. You sure won't catch me up there in the winter...BTDT.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve and Brenda
We plan on visiting North Dakota. It is one of only a few states I haven't been in and have to get it on my list of visited states. Many of them were not in an RV so can't put them on the RV map. We will do it in the summer! LOL
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Being from Minnesota, we travel through N. Dakota on occassion coming back from Glacier, but little there worthy of a stay that I am aware of.
S. Dakota, has much more to offer. - we have spent a few days near Rapid City and had a great time.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We noticed that on our RV map the other day. We're planning a trip just to see what's there, but not much that I can tell, and you really don't go through there on the way to somewhere else, either.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
I lived in North Dakota for over 8 months; January to August this past year. I found the people of ND to be some of the nicest folks I have ever met. I was in Bismarck; loved the town. There are alot of outdoor activities that usually revolve around the Missouri river. They have a great, active riverwalk area. There is a paddleboat that you can ride up and down the river and eat dinner on. Also lots of historical info on the Lewis and Clark expedition. The parks and rec dept is very active and has outdoor volleyball/softball,etc team sports all summer down by the river. The hunting is fabulous; pheasant hunting as good as South Dakota. Everyone there seems to have a pontoon or fishing boat. Lots of open water and watersports. There is Medora and Teddy Roosevelt National park between MT and ND that is a great spot to visit in the ND badlands. Red river Valley near Fargo is gorgeous. I can't say enough nice things about the place! Loved it!
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Being from the Black Hills many friends used to go to the play and steak cook out around Teddy Roosevelt Nat. Park. It is not all that far by Western standards of a drive. Around 5 hours from the Northern Hills. Not alot to see from the interstate but I bet you can find some pretty cool things off the beaten track. Also of note everyone waves to everyone on the two lane highways so don't get startled just the way it is there. There is also a spot that is the geographical center of North America Around the SD/ND border.

Remember the................
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In our case, in order for us to fill in the states it is our practice that we must sleep in the state. We've been through N Dak several times on our trip east in the spring of the year but our schedule always has us sleeping before and after N Dak. We're trying to make a trip there just to sleep in the state if nothing else.

Orv & Marge
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also only fill in the state if we slept there in our Montana. We also have never even been in North Dakota. That is not by design but just how it has happened. We had planned to be there this past July/August. I really want to go to Teddy Roosevelt National Park. Then we were going to just roam the state, seeing what there is to see. We have found so many great things in areas we had thought would be devoid of interesting things to see. But we didn't make it this summer due to the birth of another granddaughter and then waiting for our latest Montana to be delivered. But we will get there one of these days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I hope everyone realizes that this thread was a tongue in cheek thread about North Dakota. I'd have spent many more years there if the job did not require me to support the B-1 bomber after they left North Dakota. Yep, the winters are brutal, the land is flat and the mosquitoes are the state bird. There's not many campsites near lakes but the people are the best and where else can you go shopping at the mall in December while leaving your engine running in the parking lot?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:47 AM   #11
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
In 2004 we went to Alsaka with a popup by way of N Dakota. We enjoyed Fargo, Mandan and T Roosevelt NP. Waited out a late Spring snow before going to Moosejaw, SK from Williston ND. I have colored in ND on my map, but regret to say I have not yet visited Lawrence Welk's birthplace in ND! I will just have to go back.

It's a great country.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I just love North Dakota. Both the North and South portions of Teddy Roosevelt are awesome. The campground in the North Park has plenty of room for the Tana and is beautiful. Medora is one of our favorite towns. When I was a kid I remember the train stopping in Mandan and the Natives put on a dance for al the passengers. We usually take I94 but have found Hwy 2 to be very interesting. As far as weather, I'm from Northern Minnesota. Need I say more?
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,

You actually started making me feel bad and I was going to make a special trip there on my way to Canada next summer. But after you said the mosquito is the state bird, I changed my mind . I'll go through Minnesota .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:18 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Steve,

You actually started making me feel bad and I was going to make a special trip there on my way to Canada next summer. But after you said the mosquito is the state bird, I changed my mind . I'll go through Minnesota .
I believe the mosquito is the Minnesota state bird. That's what several Minnesotans have told us. And, when we've been there, I believe them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:34 AM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
The little critters are a result of so much water and backwater available for breeding. The rivers have no standing water, so if you go to an area predominantly rivers the mosquito population is practically nill.
Go go to Northern MN, and it's tough to have a meal outdoors, southern MN, and you hardly need screens.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote