Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Help me understand the inverter?

Montana HC 331RL
Residential Fridge
Two 12 volts batteries

During the PDI, the rep said to turn on the inverter when we disconnect shore power, leave it on for travel and then physically turn off the inverter when we reconnect to shore power. Seems simple.

My question is why doesn't it turn itself on and off as need like a motorhome does? Am I misinformed by the dealer?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
It all depends on the Inverter used. Some have built-in transfer switch will automatically switch to shore power and put the inverter into standby when connected to shore power. Some lesser inverters don't have that function and I don't know what Montana is using. I have a Magnum and I never turn it off, so if we have a power loss at the Park my fridge keeps humming alone because the inverter kicks on as soon as the shore power is lost.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
It all depends on the Inverter used. Some have built-in transfer switch will automatically switch to shore power and put the inverter into standby when connected to shore power. Some lesser inverters don't have that function and I don't know what Montana is using. I have a Magnum and I never turn it off, so if we have a power loss at the Park my fridge keeps humming alone because the inverter kicks on as soon as the shore power is lost.

The inverter on my SOB also works this way. If I'm boondocking and start the Onan generator, the inverter automatically shuts off and the fridge runs off the generator, then back to the inverter when generator is shut off. No switch to turn on and off.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Looks like mine is as follows:

Magnum CSW1012 Power Inverter
Old 02-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
If it like mine, you have a transfer switch that plugs into the inverter. I have left my on and turned it off. When driving it is on. The transfer switch from 12v to 120 v and back. Like Michelle and Ann said.

Just remember if you leave it on and not hooked to a power supply, it will pull from the battery down.

Get a digital battery monitoring system of some type.
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote