Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
New Montana HC - fixed so far

After bringing home our new Montana HC, I have managed to fix these items so far:
  1. Leaking basement compartment door - fixed
  2. Loose trim around skylight well - fixed
  3. Loose LED lights under the island - fixed
  4. Poor design of battery box not allowing it to close - modified the box and fixed
  5. Leaking pipe from w/d - fixed
  6. Added drip pans to large slides (still need to access bedroom slide to add third drip pan)
I'm sure I will find more things as time passes.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Congratulations!
You sound like someone who can and will do whatever is needed. Most of the time it’s just easier and quicker to do it yourself and then you know it’s done right.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
X2 with Lynwood
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
X3 with Lynwood
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #5
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Like I've always said. If you have an RV, you not only need to know how to replace a light bulb, you need to know how to replace the whole fixture. You also need to be a plumber, fabricator, and all around McGuyver. I used bicycle brake cables to repair the foot pedals on my Thetford toilet.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
LeonBlack
Established Member

M.O.C. #21807
It is interesting, you spent many thousands of dollars on a trailer only to find:
1. a KNOWN design defect on all of the slides and are apparently fixing it yourself.
2. A basement opening that doesn't seal.
3. The same stupid design for a battery box that my 381TH has. it will not close either.

and all of this lack of quality is coming out of your pocket. When is enough enough?
LeonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonBlack View Post
It is interesting, you spent many thousands of dollars on a trailer only to find:
1. a KNOWN design defect on all of the slides and are apparently fixing it yourself.
2. A basement opening that doesn't seal.
3. The same stupid design for a battery box that my 381TH has. it will not close either.

and all of this lack of quality is coming out of your pocket. When is enough enough?
We did a ton of research before buying. We already owned two Keystone campers prior to this one. Given everything we looked at and researched, the camper we purchased is STILL the best buy for our money. I went into it with the mindset that everything would not be perfect and I would end up fixing some stuff. It comes from me being anal about wanting things perfect. I'm pretty handy and can handle most flaws without dealing with a dealer and service department that would keep my camper way too long to fix a few small things. All this said, Keystone could do MUCH better!!!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
LeonBlack
Established Member

M.O.C. #21807
My apologies,
I too am extremely anal about quality and workmanship issues. For my entire working career I have been designing electronics in an industry that doesn't tolerate just ok..
It is just maddening that my wife and I spent more on this trailer than we did on the house we raised for kids in and the major system of the trailer do not work.

With no true standards to work from the trailer industry can throw out anything and leave the consumer holding the bag. This is just wrong and in someway must be dealt with.

The drip pan ordeal is a real test for me. I knew nothing about drip pans when I bought my 2018 381th. The trailer sat parked where it was delivered for 10 months before it was pulled down the road for the first time. Nothing from KEYSTONE identifying a potential issue. Nothing from Camping World concerning the issue. In fact if I had not been changing the furniture in one of the slides, I might not have noticed it all. Now that I have seen it and started doing research on the issue, it is easy to see how one or two drops of oil on EDPM material will cause the effects being documented. Of course KEYSTONE has not stood up to handle the problems as they should. Not just with me but with every single trailer they sold with this issue. To me the fact they did not send mailers even after the motor company sent the quick fix to KEYSTONE, did not have the sales channels fix the units on the lot, attempt to blame customers for the problems is border line criminal..

I just want my trailer fixed. So far all that is being offered is a patch job from the dealer. Calling KEYSTONE direct tomorrow. Hope against hope they will step up with something besides patches
LeonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
My apologies,
I too am extremely anal about quality and workmanship issues. For my entire working career I have been designing electronics in an industry that doesn't tolerate just ok..
It is just maddening that my wife and I spent more on this trailer than we did on the house we raised for kids in and the major system of the trailer do not work.

With no true standards to work from the trailer industry can throw out anything and leave the consumer holding the bag. This is just wrong and in someway must be dealt with.

The drip pan ordeal is a real test for me. I knew nothing about drip pans when I bought my 2018 381th. The trailer sat parked where it was delivered for 10 months before it was pulled down the road for the first time. Nothing from KEYSTONE identifying a potential issue. Nothing from Camping World concerning the issue. In fact if I had not been changing the furniture in one of the slides, I might not have noticed it all. Now that I have seen it and started doing research on the issue, it is easy to see how one or two drops of oil on EDPM material will cause the effects being documented. Of course KEYSTONE has not stood up to handle the problems as they should. Not just with me but with every single trailer they sold with this issue. To me the fact they did not send mailers even after the motor company sent the quick fix to KEYSTONE, did not have the sales channels fix the units on the lot, attempt to blame customers for the problems is border line criminal..

I just want my trailer fixed. So far all that is being offered is a patch job from the dealer. Calling KEYSTONE direct tomorrow. Hope against hope they will step up with something besides patches
Sorry to hear that you experienced the oil leak and rubber roof damage. I sure hope Keystone does step up and replace the roof(s) for you. I guess I'm lucky to hear about the issue before mine leaked. Best of luck in your resolve.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
I admit it - I'm ignorant about the need for drip pans. Please enlighten me. Thanks.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
Toby

M.O.C. #23383
I am in the process of getting the drip pans put on my HC at this point in time. I was told they are waiting for the materials to fix the roof, and from what I hear, its going to be a patch job??? Wow Keystone, that is great!!!! If you really want to stand up for your product and take care of your owners, you should be replace the entire slide EDPM material!!! I am really starting to regret purchasing a keystone product. Sorry for the vent!!!
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #12
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
I admit it - I'm ignorant about the need for drip pans. Please enlighten me. Thanks.
Keystone products from sometime in 2017 with the cable slides have experienced small drips of oil from the gear box of the slide motor. The gear oil leaks out and causes a toxic reaction to the rubber roof on the slide causing blistering of the rubber roof. We have been told by Keystone that the gear boxes were "overfilled" from the factory and in hotter temps, the overflow of gear oil can come out. Norcold / BAL is the manufacturer of the slide motor and gear box. They are offering along with Keystone a "drip pan" to catch the oil before it reaches the rubber roof. It's like an insurance policy, it doesn't prevent the accident, it takes care of the drip if it happens. Many have had to patch the rubber roof or replace the roof to take care of the blistering problem. It's sad that Keystone still continues to put leaking gears/motors on cable slides in 2019 given the problem has gone on for years. Shame on Keystone for not making this right.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
rzelred1

M.O.C. #23207
Quote:
My apologies,

Just purchased my new Montana HC 325RL on Dec 26, 2018. Left it at the dealer to install awnings on the slides. Then I came home and read the forums! Called the service manager and had him inspect the slide roofs. All three roofs had a small amount of damage from the leaking gearboxes. Dealer called the factory and they agreed to replace all 3 slide roofs and install drip pans. The main door also had a horizontal crack on the inside under the window. The door was replaced. I too am a fix-it guy, ordered a Shurflo pump and silencing kit for the water system.
rzelred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
IMHO if you cant fix it yourself you are going to be a world of hurt in no time. Most dealers are worthless and will only do what keystone pays for.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote