Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Removing decals with a wall paper steamer

We have a Wagner Power Steamer that is used to remove wall paper. So, I’m wondering if it can be used to remove the decals on the front of the Monty. Has any one used this type of machine to remove the decals? If someone has used it I’m wondering if it is safe to try using it without damaging the fibreglass/gelcoat. Greatly appreciate your thoughts.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have not. But someone posted a picture once, on rv.net I think, using one and it showed the decals peeling off basically in one piece like wet wall paper. If I had one available and were doing it again, I would give it a try, slowly and in a small area to start. I think you would still have to use some adhesive remover to get the adhesive off, but that is by far the easier part of the process.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
I am not sure about the steamer but I just spent four complete days removing the peeling decals on my Montana. I used a heat gun to remove the decals and then acetone and a scraper to take off the glue. It is a big job and you have to be careful with the scraper. The acetone works very well but it appears that the adhesive is thicker on some parts than the other. I used the thick Goof Off for the thicker residue. You have to give it a few minutes to work, use the scraper and then use a dry cloth to remove the remaining Goof Off. It was a lot of work but I now have a camper that looks far better than when it sported the peeling decals. Tomorrow I plan on washing it and applying Rejex which was recommended on this forum to bring back the shine.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
BB_TX and Neverhome,

Thank you for your replies to my thread regarding removing decals with a wall paper steamer. As soon as the rain stops and weather warms up I will tackle the task of removing the decals on the front of our 2010- 3150RL. After I remove the decals I’m not sure how I’ll go about removing the decal shadows on the fibreglass/gelcoat. I understand one option is to wet sand the entire front of the Monty and then polish the gelcoat with a buffer. After I try using the wallpaper steamer I’ll post a note on how things went.

Regards,

DPAM
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I removed (and replaced) the front and rear decals on my 2007 three years ago. The MONTANA on both front and rear came off using a heat gun and plastic scraper without too much problem. But the mountains on the front were a different story. They would only come off in very small pieces. Bought a 3M eraser wheel and the process was much easier. Not easy, but easier. But it does take a fairly strong corded drill. A cordless would drain the battery quickly.

The eraser wheel had an added benefit. A lot of the adhesive would ball up and come off with the decal material. But a lot was still left. I bought a can of 3M adhesive remover. I held an old towel under a small section, squirted the remover across and above that section, and let it “sheet” down over that section soaking into the towel. Then with the towel thoroughly soaked you can basically wipe off the adhesive.

Since I replaced mine, the ghost images made alignment of the new ones easy.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote