Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
We're under attack!!! UPDATE

Although we've been in this site for about 2-1/2 weeks, as of this morning a robin has apparently determined that our Montana is a threat to his nest and has been dive-bombing us off-and-on all day. Gotta tell ya ... looking out the window and seeing a bird coming right at you is a little unnerving! He's now started sitting on the edge of the window and is staring at me.

Any organic and/or humane ideas how to get this enthusiastic but incredibly annoying bird to go away and leave us alone?

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Some people who have large glass windows or door walls in their homes use silhouettes (believe that is the correct spelling! )
of birds. Cut from black paper put a few on the window.

Make it a HUGE blackbird?? or, is there a natural enemy of robins??? make it look like that.

did it build a nest on your slide or in your pin area??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Duck and wear a big hat when you go outside!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Carol ... haven't looked for a nest, but doubt the birds would resort to using our rig when there are all these lovely trees behind us. Your ideas about silouettes made me wonder if one of those plastic owl decoys might do the trick ... we could attach one to the ladder. Steve has promised me he'll go get one tomorrow afternoon if the attack re-commences tomorrow morning.

Pam ... good idea, we even have big hats!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Well...if this enthusiastic and incredibly annoying robin is setting on the edge of the window looking in at you, I'd say he has impeciable taste.

:>)
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Old 03-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I agree with MIMF about the good taste this red bellied winged terrorist has!

Vicki,

I have been at Campus RV, I agree, the trees are close, etc. But, some women are fickle and only a Montana will do! LOL

Our stick built home has trees, lots of trees, we were parked right next to one a couple of years ago, and some sweet (??) little tweeter bird made her nest in our pin, we were the proud (??) parents of at least twins, maybe 3 or 4 small tweeters.

After she raised her brood, we removed the nest and put some magnetic sheets over the holes in the pin box. Got the kind that you can use to put photos on (you print the photos, attach to these magnets and give as gifts to those who hate magnets on refrigerators---ohhh, the delights in hearing my son groan, he hates refer mags! SNICKER)

The magnets stayed on pretty good, sometimes a brisk (okkk, storm) wind would blow them off, we would find on the ground and put right back on. But, we did not have another nest, being an adoptive momma to a bunch of tweeters one time is ok, but, lets discourage a repeat performance, eh?? What if we wanted to haul Tana out of the yard. What WOULD we do with the tweeter babies???

Ya might still want to have a lookie see around your unit and see if that robin is planning on parenthood.

The magnets are not the bestest solution to this problem, but, they were reasonably affordable, easy to install and remove for travel days.

Good luck, in the meantime, follow Pam's suggestion, put on your hats! For more reasons than one, ewwwwwwwww!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We had the same problem last summer (June) in southern Colorado. Not robins, but some black colored birds. There were 3 places (at least) in the park that when you went there, the birds would start diving at you, usually from behind. One was at my favorite fishing spot. I assumed they had nests or were building them in the area. They never hit you, but would get so close you could feel the air on the back of your neck. Was always entertaining just to sit and watch the people diving and dodging.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Vicki -

Try a stuffed owl. It usually works as a natural deterrent. It's what a lot of people use in their cherry trees. Let us know. There's always Ron's way - there are few problems that can't be solved with gunfire. Just kidding. You should be able to find stuffed, styrofoam or inflatable owls at any garden center.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Move to another site????
LOL
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:35 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Birds flying at that big window is a pretty common occurrence for us. It seems that the birds see a reflection of themselves in the window and attack it. I find it quite comical when you're backed up to a row of trees and birds will fly out of the trees (safe nesting place) to attack an image of a bird reflecting from the window.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Birds flying at that big window is a pretty common occurrence for us. It seems that the birds see a reflection of themselves in the window and attack it. I find it quite comical when you're backed up to a row of trees and birds will fly out of the trees (safe nesting place) to attack an image of a bird reflecting from the window.

Orv
We have the same problem in the stick house. I'm always picking up a dead bird that has run into the window...oddly enough, it's only that one window where this happens.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 AM   #13
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
The bird is giving us a half-hearted dive-bombing this morning - but it's not at the big back window, he seems to like 2 of the windows on the door side.

Steve and I discussed getting an owl decoy ... think we're going to give that a try. Now we just have to figure out how to attach it!

It's always something ... last night the Apollo 1/2 time oven died!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Maybe it is an Alfred Hitchcock reincarnation???? Seriously, several years back I had male bluebird that when the garage doors were open would come in an attack himself in the reflection on the passenger side window of my TV. That was the funny part, the bad side was the mess he left on the side of my truck. This went on for several weeks, I suppose he thought the bird in the window was competition during mating season.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #15
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
After a nice chat with the general manager of this park, we're abandoning the owl thing ... he said there's one on the property that the birds use as a perch. He said that the only thing the previous on-site manager found that worked to keep the birds away was a silvery mylar windsock. I found them online and if Steve can't one find here, I'm ordering one tonight!

I'll let you know how it works/doesn't work
Old 03-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #16
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
A parks dept. office near me has the same problems with birds and their windows. They have attached a couple of strips of crepe paper streamer to each window with double stick tape, so the strips flutter in the breeze. Seems to cut down on birds being attracted by their reflections.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
It just sounds like "everything is going to the birds!"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Vicka, try some aluminum strips, flying like a windsock. I read that the birds are usually seeing their reflections and reacting to that. Maybe some see through fabric over the window will remove their reflection but still let you see out.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Try hanging some CD's around. lots of shinny stuff for reflections. Yes I said CD's , DVD's would work too, preferably ones that haven't been recorded on.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
After ordering the mylar windsocks, I thought I'd try a variation of Judy's idea ... ended up putting 3 hangers with aluminum strips on/near the windows the bird seems to favor. A few hours later, as I was patting myself on the back for coming up with this "fix," the robin came back and not only went after the windows he'd been attacking yesterday, but also started in on the window over the dining table.

So, now I'm thinking we'll just have to put up with this nonsense until the windsocks arrive ... then Steve took a hand mirror and was able to see that there is indeed a nest under the topper right about in the middle of the big slide. Looks like we're going to be grandparents again .

Now we're wondering if the windsock thingys will keep this from happening again or are we going to have to figure out how to avoid any more bird nests on our slides.