Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
Cynstress

M.O.C. #28155
Angry Unscrupulous Business Practice

I put a $20,000 deposit on February 10th for a Montana to be built. Today, April 20th, I get a call from the dealership telling me that Keystone has changed the price agreement and they are increasing the cost to me by $3,000. So, after waiting for more that two months, and keeping my $20K for that duration, you're telling me that I'll need to pay more if I actually want the RV. I can either pay the money or you will cancel the deal and return my money, without interest of course, and I'll have wasted 9 weeks of my life. If this is not illegal, I find it HIGHLY unethical. To say that I am furious is an understatement. Had I known that this was the way you do business, I would have certainly gone with another company. It is unscrupulous business practices to alter the parameters of the agreement more than half way through the process. It feels a lot like extortion. So, we are off to a very bad start, Keystone. With demand so high, it appears that you feel that you can jerk your customers around because another one is in line behind me to buy it at that higher price. This will not last forever, Keystone.....but my memory will. I will make this known to anyone who will listen.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #2
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
If that happened to me I’d get all my money back & buy a different product like Grand Design. That’s definitely bad business practices.
Also put the bare minimum to hold the product. 20k seems like a lot.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:41 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Cindy,

I would be hugely frustrated also. Assuming you and the dealer signed a contract, I would hold the dealer to the contract and threaten litigation if needed.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
Old 04-20-2021, 10:18 PM   #4
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Sounds like a breach of contract! I’m with aztraveler, be worth a couple hundred bucks to have a lawyer write them a letter. You might also call Keystone, they might not know what the dealers doing!
Then again, might not be worth the hassle, money back, different brand!

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Old 04-21-2021, 12:18 AM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
You should understand that this isn't a Keystone or Montana run site. So venting here will get some sympathy from other Montana owners but it won't do anything to Keystone.

I do think you might look hard at your contract. Where did you order the trailer? I assume you bought from a dealer so your issue really isn't with Keystone, but with the dealer with whom you have a contract. Are there any clauses regarding manufacturer price changes? Or that allow for one or both parties to cancel the contract without penalty? At this point it's really all about the language that you agreed to so check it carefully so see what recourse you might have.

Your situation would also be very frustrating to me and it will obviously leave a bad taste. If the issue is solely with the dealer then I hope you won't let that spoil your view of the trailer you liked enough to put a large deposit on.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find out.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:49 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Look at your contract to make sure there are no weasel words that say the price can be adjusted. It may take a letter from a lawyer if those words don't exist though I would write that letter myself then if no action then use a lawyer as a last resort.

As a note, we walked from a deal like that from a competitive brand 5er, found our Montana and made a much better deal elsewhere ending up with more for less dollar outlay.

Oh and yes, vent here, fine, but this site is 100% private, nothing to do legally or financially with Keystone/Montana
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 04-21-2021, 06:45 AM   #7
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
People get layers involved because the dealer did breach his agreement with you may not be the best advice. Sure I would be mad. However say you get the lawyer involved and you get your way. With all the things that need to happen with the PDI, do you want to take the chance on the service department doing you a solid? I would be as mad as you are but this seems strange to me that this is happening at all. My advice is get your money back and move to another dealer. If you want you could call another dealer and see if they could do the same deal. Other wise get your money back and move on.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
People get layers involved because the dealer did breach his agreement with you may not be the best advice. Sure I would be mad. However say you get the lawyer involved and you get your way. With all the things that need to happen with the PDI, do you want to take the chance on the service department doing you a solid? I would be as mad as you are but this seems strange to me that this is happening at all. My advice is get your money back and move to another dealer. If you want you could call another dealer and see if they could do the same deal. Other wise get your money back and move on.

Special order - may be a non-refundable deposit andd why a lawyer may be needed for breach of contract. For $20K, that's when I would for sure get legal advice. (but I would not have given ANY dealer that kind of deposit in the first place, not even for a new mid six figure S&B home)
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 04-21-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It's all about the agreement on paper. There has to be more to this story. $3k is chump change considering the markup on trailers and the dealer should make it right. In fact, the name of that dealership should be made known. IMO, there are no special orders on trailers. Whatever they make will be sold to someone.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Not sure what floorplan the OP ordered, but I would gladly cancel the deal unless I was getting 30% or more off MSRP anyway.

A few months ago when our DP sold we had heard about how low dealer stock was on most fivers and THs. We used nationwide searches to find our exact floorplan in the exact color with the exact options we wanted. On top of that we purchased it for over 30% discount. Down side is we had to drive 1,300 miles to pick it up.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:56 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would not be at all happy either. But, as mentioned, read the purchase contract carefully. There may well be some subtle statement that they can adjust the price if the manufacturer changes theirs. If so, then you have little recourse other to tell others your surprise experience.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #12
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
That sound like a horrible dealership you're going through. $20K up front....that is insane. I know through Chevy/GM, you can order a new diesel truck for just $500.00. Something sounds very wrong.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
Old 04-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Recent articles in trade journals have sited the increased cost of metal and plastic as increasing the cost of the average rig by about a grand to the manufacturer. Between the amount of the deposit and the amount of the increase they are trying to get I would drop that dealer like a hot rock. Based just on what they've done with the financials I wouldn't want any part of depending on them for service and warranty work.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #14
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
That sound like a horrible dealership you're going through. $20K up front....that is insane. I know through Chevy/GM, you can order a new diesel truck for just $500.00. Something sounds very wrong.
I agree and would get my $ back and purchase different brand. I bought 3 new Montana fivers from my dealer one of which was a special order. On all 3 they didn't ask for a penny until my PDI was done and I was satisfied. We then sat down and closed the transaction.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The contract is with the dealer not keystone. We never paid anything up front on two Montana's but we did sign a contract to purchase. I would talk to Keystone and share your experience with that dealer.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #16
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
This is what I was thinking. This is not a Keystone problem, it's a dealership problem.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #17
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Cynstress,

You have not replied to any of the responses with the model you ordered nor who this dealer is.
Regulars on this site know both Keystone and Montana representatives monitor this site and will comment when deemed appropriate.
As stated your contract is with the dealership, not with Keystone Montana. But Keystone as well as the Montana division management will always be interested in any information you have to provide regarding dealership business practices affecting them.
If you don't wish to make public your comments, PM me and I will make sure they are forwarded to appropriate Montana personnel.
Best Regards.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Old 04-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #18
Spermwhale

M.O.C. #28624
Run from that dealership
Old 04-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
OP, you got a call from your dealer on Apr 20? Then your first post here is at 0720 the same day? Your dealer sure starts early in the morning. What's happening now? Was your agreement in writing? Are they going to refund you? Is it resolved? This post is starting to feel like a driveby on Keystone and an unknown dealer.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #20
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynstress View Post
I put a $20,000 deposit on February 10th for a Montana to be built. Today, April 20th, I get a call from the dealership telling me that Keystone has changed the price agreement and they are increasing the cost to me by $3,000. So, after waiting for more that two months, and keeping my $20K for that duration, you're telling me that I'll need to pay more if I actually want the RV. I can either pay the money or you will cancel the deal and return my money, without interest of course, and I'll have wasted 9 weeks of my life. If this is not illegal, I find it HIGHLY unethical. To say that I am furious is an understatement. Had I known that this was the way you do business, I would have certainly gone with another company. It is unscrupulous business practices to alter the parameters of the agreement more than half way through the process. It feels a lot like extortion. So, we are off to a very bad start, Keystone. With demand so high, it appears that you feel that you can jerk your customers around because another one is in line behind me to buy it at that higher price. This will not last forever, Keystone.....but my memory will. I will make this known to anyone who will listen.
BEWARE of leaving large deposits. I learned a valuable lesson few years back. I had left a deposit at an RV dealer ship in Las Cruces New Mexico called Kamping .... yes, with a "K' don't remember the other half. Anyhow i was to pick it up on saturday morning. When I arrived at the dealership it was closed. No one was there except for a few other customers as well . I called my salesman, lucky I had his cell number, it so happened they were going to have customers leave down payments that weekend knowing they were filling bankruptcy and not return the money. Never got my money back.

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
Closed Thread

Tags
dishonest, extortion, not honoring price quote, poor business practice