Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2023, 12:25 PM   #1
chicobrent

M.O.C. #32398
big sky lighting questions

Hi, I just bought a 2003 keystone big sky 3670RL. The 3 lights in the main slide out don't seem to be controlled by any of the light switches. One has no power and the other two have constant power. Is there a remote for those. If so does anyone know where I can purchase one.

There is a switch on the other slide out on the side of the refrigerator wall. I can't figure out what that controls.

There is another switch on the right side of the stair case above the light switches for the outside lights and ceiling lights but the one there by its self doesn't turn anything on or off and has power going to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone's having a great day and staying warm.

chicobrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:34 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There were few remotes for anything in Keystone products 20 years ago except for maybe the TV or thermostat. My 2000 and 2005 Montana's had small switches right on the lights in several instances. There is a junction box near the bottom of the slide on the frame that feeds power to whatever is in the slide via a cat-trac. Pop the cover off (with the power off to your fiver) and see if any connections are corroded.

If the single switch in the switch panel is similar to a stick house light switch ... that probably at one time or another controlled the ceiling fan in the living area (if you have one)
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:40 PM   #3
chicobrent

M.O.C. #32398
Thanks I'll look for that box in the morning. This keystone does have a ceiling fan with a remote. Some of my lights have the one and off switch but these in the slide out did not.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:13 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It has been a while, but I am pretty sure the light sin the slide only have an On/Off switch on the fixture. Usually located on the back side of the light, on the mounting ring, close to the upper cabinet.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:45 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
It has been a while, but I am pretty sure the light sin the slide only have an On/Off switch on the fixture. Usually located on the back side of the light, on the mounting ring, close to the upper cabinet.
That’s the way my 2007 was. No remote switch for slide lights. Only a small switch on each fixture.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have two lights on the ceiling of the large slide, one is 120 volts AC and the other is 12 volts DC, and both have the switches facing the cabinets, and no other controls for those lights. There is a light on the wall between the windows and that light is 120 volts AC with a switch on the fixture.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #7
chicobrent

M.O.C. #32398
Thanks for the replies. I must of missed seeing the switches when I first looked at it. Those lights are gone now so I can't double check buy I'm sure you guys are right.

I have one switch I cant figure out what it controls. Its on the right side of the entry to the bed/bath area. It's just above the 3 light switch box and to the left side of the slide in and out switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv light switch.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	14148  
Old 02-28-2023, 03:16 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The large white rectangular switch on mine was for the ceiling fan. Fan speed and fan light controls on the fan itself.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:27 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As BB_TX wrote, the paddle switch supplies 120V power to the fan assembly. There are separate controls (beaded chains) on the fan assembly that operate the light and fan when it has power from the paddle switch.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:13 PM   #10
chicobrent

M.O.C. #32398
Thanks all. I got them all figured out but 2. Once I got a new battery for the ceiling fan remote the switch on the wall worked after I hit power button.

One ceiling light in the slide out on the end of the trailer side has no power and the two small led lights above the refrigerator and entertainment center have no power either. There is a switch on the side of the refrigerator that I think operates the LEDs but there is no power there also. I wonder if they are shorted out in the same junction box. Its been raining here and with work I have had time to check the box on the frame that diesel guy recommended checking. I will check in the morning tomorrow. If there's anything else to check let me know. Thanks